Deformed Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonador

5Le5Fd5H63Kd3I53Fec8ra515aa7e48f911b5.jpg

I was exploring craigslist when I discovered a free, deformed bearded dragon in my area. (Fifteen minutes or so away) He's an adult, four years old. Do you guys think that I should go look at him, or is it no hope? Do deformed lizard need special attention of any kind?

Thanks in advance.

PastelBeardie

Juvie Member
I have geckos and have never had a beardie, but that looks a lot like MBD to me. It's caused by a bad diet. I rescued a gecko with MBD, and she will never be normal. That beardie won't, either. But if you want you can provide him with the nutrients he needs, and over time there may be some improvement.

Sonador

Original Poster
Newbie03":2vpzvxpt said:
I have geckos and have never had a beardie, but that looks a lot like MBD to me. It's caused by a bad diet. I rescued a gecko with MBD, and she will never be normal. That beardie won't, either. But if you want you can provide him with the nutrients he needs, and over time there may be some improvement.

Thanks, I thought so too. Another person I talked to about it said it was a deformity the lizard was born with...I'm not too sure about that though.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Wow that poor thing is in terrible shape. It looks to have been neglected in almost every way, from its long nails to the deformed spine to the shortened tail. The deformities you see (spine, legs, underbite) are all the result of MBD which results from insufficient UVB exposure and calcium absorption. I honestly doubt anything you see is how it was born.

If this is your first dragon, he's going to need a lot of help. Vet visits, special diet, special care is all going to cost a lot of not just money but time as well. It has amazing colors and if you have the time and dedication, I would definitely recommend taking in this dragon. There are a lot of people in these boards who can talk you through what you need to do to make this dragon as comfortable as possible. If you don't have the time for it though, I would recommend finding a reptile rescue in your area or maybe posting the CL ad so others who may be more experienced can see if they can take him in.

Sonador

Original Poster
randommonks":1qcl9q64 said:
Wow that poor thing is in terrible shape. It looks to have been neglected in almost every way, from its long nails to the deformed spine to the shortened tail. The deformities you see (spine, legs, underbite) are all the result of MBD which results from insufficient UVB exposure and calcium absorption. I honestly doubt anything you see is how it was born.

If this is your first dragon, he's going to need a lot of help. Vet visits, special diet, special care is all going to cost a lot of not just money but time as well. It has amazing colors and if you have the time and dedication, I would definitely recommend taking in this dragon. There are a lot of people in these boards who can talk you through what you need to do to make this dragon as comfortable as possible. If you don't have the time for it though, I would recommend finding a reptile rescue in your area or maybe posting the CL ad so others who may be more experienced can see if they can take him in.

It's make me sad-no, mad-that these people probably did no research before buying a dragon. Had they done any at all, they would have caught his condition in the early stages and might have been able to prevent it from going this far...

I do not think I'm experienced with dragons enough to take him in...it would be my first beardie and only my third herp...

I hope someone else finds him and can restore him to a more natural state. D: (I could not link the ad to anyone as I do not know anyone who's ever had a beardie...and we don't have a reptile rescue within 100 miles of here)

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Sonador":3fsu7efu said:
I do not think I'm experienced with dragons enough to take him in...it would be my first beardie and only my third herp...

I hope someone else finds him and can restore him to a more natural state. D: (I could not link the ad to anyone as I do not know anyone who's ever had a beardie...and we don't have a reptile rescue within 100 miles of here)

That really is too bad- that dragon really needs some help. I agree that even just the minimal research into a bearded dragon's basic needs would have prevented any problems like this from ocurring. That's what so infuriating with MBD- it's almost entirely preventable.

You could post the CL ad on this site so that maybe someone else in the area could look into it.

Sonador

Original Poster
randommonks":2iwdql14 said:
You could post the CL ad on this site so that maybe someone else in the area could look into it.

Alright, thanks. I doubt anyone lives in my dinky old town, or even state, but I'll try.

PastelBeardie

Juvie Member
It's a slim chance, but.... Are you in Arizona? I have experience dealing with MBD but not with beardies and would be willing to help.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is SO sad. At this point, even if you don't have tons of experience & you can take him in with a good UVB light, etc, he would, I think he would be in much better hands with you than where he is.
He needs to be out of that situation, soon.

Tracie

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Drache613":2z6l0bo0 said:
Hello,

That is SO sad. At this point, even if you don't have tons of experience & you can take him in with a good UVB light, etc, he would, I think he would be in much better hands with you than where he is.
He needs to be out of that situation, soon.

Tracie

This amazing woman is one of those that you could lean on if you or someone you know decides to take in this dragon.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have to agree with Tracie that he would be in much better hands with you and needs to be rescued badly. Poor, poor thing. :(

Sonador

Original Poster
So...should I? Go look at him at least? I emailed the owners...I'd love to see him at least slightly normal one day. :)

PastelBeardie

Juvie Member
Sonador":cjvw89cu said:
So...should I? Go look at him at least? I emailed the owners...I'd love to see him at least slightly normal one day. :)
Only you can make the decision as to what's right for you. I can tell you that my MBD gecko is better, but it took time, and she is super sweet. I think animals know when you go out of your way to help them.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I know that I would have to go look at her if she was that close to me. Her eyes look sad, almost like she is asking for help. Her living conditions need to change very soon for her.

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
Oh, my... please take this poor beardie if you think you can handle the work - even if you only want to commit to his care temporarily. There are rescue trains that some people here may be able to set in motion if you want someone to take him off your hands eventually. Poor sweet creature, this just breaks my heart :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom