Status
Not open for further replies.
So, We recently adopted a beardie from a family (the kids got tired of him, and he'd bitten one so they were all scared of him) He's a bit older than 3 they think. He's lived in a smaller 36" enclosure, all glass(exoterra) with a doubledome-heat & UV combo.
We now have him in a 45" laminate house, with 36" reptisun t5 and a single basking bulb. His temps are 103 bask spot, warm side ranges down to 86. Cool side and hides are 86-80.

We have a little webcam for him to keep an eye on him when we're both at work. He has been wall-surfing in one specific spot since we've brought him home (the wall corner where the glass door hinges at) .It's been a week now, and he already has a schedule: We wake him at 7:20, give him food and head out. He lazes and then basks around 9ish. 1030-11 he starts the "hellion hours" where he parkours and surfs the wall constantly until around 3:30-4. He's tired and calm afterwards, and he sleeps at 730-8.

He surfs when we are not at home, when we ARE at home. When the blinds are open OR closed, he still does it. A cover over his tank or no cover, he skitters.
Is this relocation stress, or does he not like something in his new enclosure? (admittedly it is far brighter that his original tank, which only had the lighting on one end, and this reptisun is bright) Will he calm down eventually, or are we doomed to have a little Hellion constantly skittering around.

This is our 2nd beardie; the first one we got lucky and didn't have any issues with relocation. This guy is the polar opposite of her!

IMG_20220215_105546.jpg
20220326_115828.jpg

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Maybe the dragons just wanting to get out and run around have you took the dragon out much yet? As far as UVB and stuff like that and temperatures sounds all good. Probably just relocation stress too how long have you had it now.

Last edited:

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
looks like our guy when he just cannot figure out why he can't be outside his enclosure and sitting in his window watching the world go by. he's got a traffic report to put out, dontcha know???!!! (we live on the highway and he loves watching.)

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
I let her out and the first week she wall surfed like CRAZY!!😂😂 then she stopped doing it and now she will do it when she wants her insects

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Only time Frey’ja wall Surfs is when she wants out to poop but our girl got very used to pooping in bath but nine times out of 10 it’s because she needs to use the restroom lol.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So, We recently adopted a beardie from a family (the kids got tired of him, and he'd bitten one so they were all scared of him) He's a bit older than 3 they think. He's lived in a smaller 36" enclosure, all glass(exoterra) with a doubledome-heat & UV combo.
We now have him in a 45" laminate house, with 36" reptisun t5 and a single basking bulb. His temps are 103 bask spot, warm side ranges down to 86. Cool side and hides are 86-80.

We have a little webcam for him to keep an eye on him when we're both at work. He has been wall-surfing in one specific spot since we've brought him home (the wall corner where the glass door hinges at) .It's been a week now, and he already has a schedule: We wake him at 7:20, give him food and head out. He lazes and then basks around 9ish. 1030-11 he starts the "hellion hours" where he parkours and surfs the wall constantly until around 3:30-4. He's tired and calm afterwards, and he sleeps at 730-8.

He surfs when we are not at home, when we ARE at home. When the blinds are open OR closed, he still does it. A cover over his tank or no cover, he skitters.
Is this relocation stress, or does he not like something in his new enclosure? (admittedly it is far brighter that his original tank, which only had the lighting on one end, and this reptisun is bright) Will he calm down eventually, or are we doomed to have a little Hellion constantly skittering around.

This is our 2nd beardie; the first one we got lucky and didn't have any issues with relocation. This guy is the polar opposite of her!

View attachment 69150 View attachment 69151
Going to have some others take a look - any digging or just the wall surfing- usually improper uvb and temps are the cause- and the sex is a male or female? It could be relocation stress but usually they have stress marks and effects the eating - could be spring fever and just wanting out -
@AHBD
@CooperDragon

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
The temps you have look good though, but I see that you are using I.R. Gun? Do you have any probes too? Some people prefer or guns but in my experience the different materials throw off the guns. I found that my probes are more accurate. Something to think about...

Last edited:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree with the others, a few things can cause this. Relocation stress, not understanding where he is now and why he can't go beyond the glass but also just being a young dragon during the breeding season. That alone can cause serious surfing. My 10 year old still does a fair bit of stomping around and clawing at the glass. It's normal for many dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom