Cleaning Products...

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddragon1

Hatchling Member
Does anyone know anything about chlorhexidine solution, roccol-D, nolvasan, or simply green? i need to sanitize my tank & i read about these on another site just wanted to know if anyones ever tried these or know if its safe??

mostlyharmlessnj

Hatchling Member
I'll share what I know.

chlorhexidine & roccol-D - I've only heard of it being used with larger animals. (ie horses, cows) I do not know how it would work with our little beardies.

Nolvasan - main ingredient is chlorhexidine but it is formulated for severe wound care. (At least the product I saw).

Simple Green - A decent non toxic household cleaner, and good degrease. However, it is a solvent that does interact with certain types of materials. I've used it myself to soften rubber and various types of adhesives, and has a pretty strong smell. Again not sure what it will do to our little beardies.

Personally I use Natural Sciences Healthy Habitat, and Poop Off Bird Poop cleaner (Our guys and birds share very similar poop and respiratory sensitivities) for daily minor wipe ups (with beardie out of course).

I use a 1 cap bleach to a 1 quart spray bottle of water for sanitizing and complete viv cleaning.

No matter what you use, make sure it is done with beardie out of the viv, it is fully cleaned up and there is no lingering odor or residue.

Although admittedly I'm not as concerned with leaving a little Healthy Habitat or Poop off since they are both enzyme cleaners and work best when allowed to air dry and get wiped off, and the enzymes can then go after breaking down whatever poop enzymes may have been absorbed.

reddragon1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
wow thanks... i just wanted something good to kill everything because he did have parasites/worms.. im not a big fan of using bleach on his tank but maybe ill try it...

mostlyharmlessnj

Hatchling Member

mostlyharmlessnj

Hatchling Member
I almost forgot, another "out of the box" idea for your rocks and other items which can take high heat is to bake them on a cookie sheet at about 200f for about 20 minutes - 1 hour, bleach, rinse, bake...

Someone else here might be able to comment, but I believe 140f - 160f kills just about everything...

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Chlorhexidine Gluconate is a wonderful product with many uses. Its a very affective wound wash, and is also a non caustic disinfectant. It has virtually no fumes, and does not need to be rinsed. Its also pretty inexpensive when diluted. What are the downsides? It has a long contact time...roughly 15-20 minutes, and its not the most effective disinfectant. However as a daily use cleaner, its top notch. It should be mixed fresh on a weekly basis. In tap water a mixture will be good for at most a couple weeks. If you use distilled, its a month. However it dilutes to 2oz per gallon, so its very easy to mix it as you use it.
When diluted properly, its mild enough that it can be used in the vicinity of the beardy...and it won't damage cage items (or stain them like iodine). There really isn't anything more to say.

If you are battling serious contagions, you'll want something more powerful. A QUAT (Quaternary Ammonium Compound) would probably be the way to go (Roccal D, Wipe Out). Alternatively you can use a 10% mixture of Ammonia...but be warned, its noxious. As far as I know, An ammonia solution is the only one known to take out Coccidia.
The defacto standard is probably a 10% bleach solution, and its very effective. However, the one thing all of these have in common is they are dangerous to your animals...so you must rinse like crazy and make sure to let the enclosure air out before putting the beardy back. This is why I prefer to use Chlorhexidine on a daily basis, and only resort to serious disinfectants once in awhile during total cage tear downs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom