Cleaning my beardies tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

brodie67

Hello, I am wondering what I need to use to clean the inside part of my beardies tank
without hurting him? Please respond He pee'd in his tank and it smells horrible lol :blob5:

Reno

Me i use bleach well dilute with water in spray bottle , take off all things lay them in the bath or on a old towel (make sure its nore more good cause there chance thell be bleach stain after and trow it away dont put it in the landry basket ) :D spray them with water/bleach let it soak for a few minute ,then take an old tooth brush scrub everythings rinse it super duper well under warm water after lay them on anoter towel let them dry and for the window only water and scottowel that is the way that i whash my tank ! what do you got for substrate sand or tiles ,me i got sand so when Milly (my female BD) poop just pic that up with a strainer 8) ! I do this once 10 to 14 day never had a smell :D

Tigg

Juvie Member
Normal house hold bleach I would reduce to 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. If you are using any kind of concentrated bleach I would use 1 part bleach to 20 parts water.

Reno":e5a9f said:
what do you got for substrate sand or tiles ,me i got sand so when Milly (my female BD) poop just pic that up with a strainer 8) ! I do this once 10 to 14 day never had a smell :D

What do you do about all of the sand that has comes in contact with the slew of bacteria from your BD's stool after you strain the stool out and mix the contaminated sand with the rest of the substrate? There is many health risks associated with loose substrates, and this is not the right thread for me to go off on a tangent about the risks of Sand... but this is one problem that is commonly over looked and after time poses a serious threat on your pet's life. Sand is a breeding ground for parasites and bacteria, it's only a matter of time before it's ingested by your BD and they become ill.

Here a bunch of other reasons not to use sand substrates, And I urge you to read it with hopes of changing your mind.
http://www.herpcenter.com/reptile-diseases/calcium-sand-dangers.html

** End rant** lol :blob8:

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
I would seriously have to agree with Tigg. I lost our first dragon, a rescue before I knew how nasty sand was.
You can use ceramic tile, or newspaper, or paper towels or non adhesive shelf liner for a substrate.
Also to clean any of these you can (with the tile) use a 50/50 water and lemon juice, the smell from the lemon won't harm your dragon and it makes the glass and tile shine so nice !
As for the others, just toss the shelf liner into the top of your dishwasher with no detergent. The others just toss (or if a gardener you can use as a mulch).
Hope this helps out !
Janie.

Reno

thx guys seriously i never tough of that :shock: im gonna chance sand for tile dont you guys worry 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom