Status
Not open for further replies.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
msmaui":ccd6a said:
vickson420":ccd6a said:
Hi
I have been following the thread and didnt have too much to add.I did myself also think he may be brumating which truth be told can happen anywhere and even sometimes in different seasons so this is a strong possibility however you really need to make sure those temps are spot on because that could seriously affect his behavior.Also I have found the repta aid is better for long term use.Jumpstart shouldnt be used for long term where the repta aid can and also I wouldnt use the pedialyte if your using either one it could be too much on the kidneys.

Actually, he seems to sleep all the time on top of his branch, under the basking lamp. He might come down once for about a minute but goes right back up there. He even sleeps up there so I really can't tell if he's going to sleep earlier. Now I don't know if I should continue to force feed him and continue giving him these medicines or just leave him alone.

You mentioned the pedialyte, I'm using Electrolize. You think I should stop that?

EDIT: I forgot to tell you, when I first to him to the vet he was also doing those horrible head-shaking things that look like seizures. He hasn't done those for a long time now. When I took him back a week later the vet said, "At least he's still alive. He was looking pretty bad".

I've noticed he does look out the window occassionally while he's on his branch.
Ok well then I dont think this is brumation at all.He shouldnt be sleeping in his basking area if this was brumation.He would actually be looking for the coolest,darkest spot.Did we go over temps?It sounds like they may not be warm enough in the basking area.Also what was the diagnosis for his shaking?MBD?Elctrolize should be stopped if you switch to repta aid as you could overdose him on electrolytes if you do both and I do think the repta aid is better for long term use.What meds is he on from the vet?Did the vet do any bloodwork?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Is he excreting any urates right now? I agree, oversupplementation of the electrolytes can throw off the delicate balance of them if they are not needed or given too frequently or for too long.
Is he having any balance issues?

Tracie

msmaui

Juvie Member
Original Poster
The vet said she had no idea why he was shaking his head like that. She saw him do it also. She said that he had MBD because she could tell by looking at his lips and his legs. He was on SMZ-TMP Suspension for 2 weeks and on NeoCalcium Gluconate until just a couple of days ago. He was also on Carnivore Care for food through the syringe. He finished that a couple of days ago also. That's why I'm giving him babyfood now. She did no bloodwork.

As for the urates, today there was like liquid mucus and a pea-sized poo. I don't believe he has any balance issues. He seems to walk okay now. I did change his heat bulb today because I tested it like 2" down from the very top of his branch (104) and it dropped to 90 degrees. I lowered the branch a little from the light, changed the bulb, and now in the very middle of the branch where his belly is it's 110.

msmaui

Juvie Member
Original Poster
We were having our morning breakfast fight to try to get some food in his mouth and he threw up this brown stuff. Looked kind of like the Jump Start but he didn't have any yesterday. Needless to say, he got nothing down for breakfast. Yesterday I didn't even give him anything, hoping he would be real hungry this morning and take some food. Didn't work. I offered him some worms, which he used to love, and he could care less.

He knows what's happening now and it's getting almost impossible to get the syringe in his mouth. I don't know what I'm going to do.

msmaui

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I tried again tonight and was able to get a little bit of babyfood squash with some Benebac down him.

msmaui

Juvie Member
Original Poster
vickson420":55440 said:
Ok thats a start.Did he open voluntarily or did you force it?

No, I definitely have to force it. He fights it all the way and I can't believe how tight he can clamp his jaws shut.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Yeah thats why I like the syringes because once you get it in it can stay in.There is one other thing you can try but its messy.You can put a big dolop of babyfood right above and touching the lips sometimes they will lick it if only to get it off.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Also putting a drop of vegetable oil on the syringe helps it slide in easier too.

augustwst

Hello!

Might wanna ask your vet, but if you're out of it, you can get neocalglucon in liquid form from the local pharmacy for very cheap. When I was a teenager, I rescued an Iguana with MBD and it took me months of calcium to get her back to healthy. Also, I know I have a completely different issue, but my vet gave my Samson a B12 shot and it seemed to give him some strength. Didn't get him to wanna eat on his own though...just trying to help. I'm jealous that you got carnivore care, I just got herbavore care and I had to blender bugs :shock:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing? Any improvements yet?
I suggest to continue using the liquid calcium for awhile if he has rubber or soft lips/jaws area & the legs are affected. Are they weakened?
How is his appetite doing?

Tracie

msmaui

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Drache613":f5406 said:
Hello,

How is your dragon doing? Any improvements yet?
I suggest to continue using the liquid calcium for awhile if he has rubber or soft lips/jaws area & the legs are affected. Are they weakened?
How is his appetite doing?

Tracie

Cinnamon hasn't had a good couple of days. He hasn't really been able to walk, just a couple of steps then gives up. He does seem off balance now where he didn't used to. I still have to force feed him and it's still a terrible fight. When this first started I'd feed him twice a day but for a few days now it's just been once. It stresses him out so badly I didn't know if I was doing him any favors. I'm giving him (mixed in with squash babyfood) Benebac every other day and Jump Start on the off days. He's still getting his bath every day. I figured I'd finish the Benebac and then once again look for the Reptaid.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry to hear that Cinnamon is still having a hard time right now. How much oral fluids are you getting into him? Be sure to get enough into him.
Have you double checked your temps too, are they all correct?
Continue with the bathing, that really does help with hydration status along with using a plastic dropper to drip fluids onto the end of his nose if he will lick it off. It does take time & patience when trying to teach them to take fluids from a dropper, but, it can be done. If you just get the end of his mouth slightly open to where he is kind of licking his lips you can drip some fluids onto his nose & he will most likely start drinking a little bit.
It just takes some practice. Usually once they get a small taste of food or fluids, they will like it.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom