Chewing his toe off!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

czuber

Hatchling Member
He just started attacking his toe/claw until he chewed it off? He was holding it in his mouth running around the cage like crazy. I distracted him and he stopped. What is going on?

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
I'm sorry that happened! Was it the whole toe or just the tip/nail? Can you post a picture? You should check all of his toes for retained shed - sometimes they chew it if it is really bothering them :(

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Also, I haven't checked, but have you ever answered the questions about your set up to make sure everything is right?

czuber

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Just the tip. He seems to be OK now. Back to just chilling on his basking spot. My setup is good I followed this website for making it. It's in the build thread.

czuber

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
20130206_202320_zpsbe591ecd.jpg

F01D9875-D2F9-4A7C-9DE9-F762FBB866E2-2039-000002CC85679269.jpg

FE71A27B-EF7B-4513-9ADC-F71070B98692-2039-000002CC831BEE83.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
It does look as if there was retained shed there, so in future make very sure all the shed comes off the tips of his fingers and toes, very important, you can loosen it in a bath & use a soft toothbrush to help get it off. If left, it shrinks and can restrict the blood flow at the tip of the finger or toe. Also I think he's not high enough for his UVB, is there any way to drop the tube? Measure as he should be 6-8 inches away from his UVB light. Otherwise you enclosure is really nice!

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Deb makes a good point about the UVB> I would also add one more thing - where are you getting ventilation? Fresh, flowing air is really important.

czuber

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
As you can see in the picture of his toe when he wants to get closer to the light He climbs the wall and sits on top. I made it thick enough that he can just lay up there. He has also scratched off a lot of my Grout work. When I repair it I'm putting in a larger shelf for him to hang out on. I have since added a log ramp so he can get as close as he wants.

In this pic of my custom top you can see the screen area. I would think it would be good enough for air flow.

FAABC364-B583-4558-9EFD-28E72109F8BD-2039-000002CC808BAD4B.jpg

czuber

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Check out my thread in the DIY. I got the step by step build on there. Thanks. My boy seems to back to normal. I think you were right on the shed. I will keep a close eye in the future.

cvontres

czuber":3f75mo3w said:
Check out my thread in the DIY. I got the step by step build on there. Thanks. My boy seems to back to normal. I think you were right on the shed. I will keep a close eye in the future.

Found it, thanks! Looks Great! -M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom