Can this be mouth rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks like the gums are possibly infected. How is the inside of her mouth? I would try rubbing some MaxiGuard gel on her gums and teeth with a q-tip a few times per day and see if that helps. It is an oral cleanser/topical antibiotic. Otherwise you may need to bring her to a vet to see if any of the tissue is dead and needs removal or if stronger antibiotics are needed to combat an infection. I'd start with the easy topical cleanser first and see if a few weeks of that helps.

How is her appetite? Does her mouth appear to be bothering her at all or does she turn away from food?

jazmin428

Original Poster
Thank you! And she had just recently started not eating I don't know why because before she was fine and she has had this for a month..

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
It's hard to tell from the photos but if her gums or mouth in general are swollen, discolored or "cheesey" it sounds like an infection. Considering it's been a month and she is now not eating (possibly a sign of discomfort) a vet trip may be a good idea to make sure the problem isn't more serious like infection of the jaw bones.

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Taterbug":1mg8oxdn said:
It's hard to tell from the photos but if her gums or mouth in general are swollen, discolored or "cheesey" it sounds like an infection. Considering it's been a month and she is now not eating (possibly a sign of discomfort) a vet trip may be a good idea to make sure the problem isn't more serious like infection of the jaw bones.

Ah ha! You said the magic word! Cheesy! My guy has the same lips but they look kinda cheesy. What Is that?!?!?!?!? I've been hunting posts trying to figure it out. He's hibernating atm and in his hideaway so I don't have photos but if the sides of his mouth look... Cheesy. What is that! I think it's a bad shed I've been assisting him with his mouth sheds and I've noticed it looks odd. He's got a little MBD in his jaw it snaps crackles and Pops on occasion. He Is a rescue.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you get a couple of pics from the side but not from above ? It looks like she has a bit of an underbite.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That does look like some type of mouth issue.
As suggested, try the Maxiguard for help with cleaning the mouth. You can also try using
some raw, unpasteurized honey to help ward off infection, too.
What are the temperatures in the tank, are they optimal?
I hope it clears up so her mouth feels better!
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I'd be concerned about an infection, as it does look like he has a bad infection (some photos from the sides/front and the inside of the mouth would be helpful if possible), especially if this has been going on for a month, the longer an infection like this goes on, the more possibility of your dragon becoming very sick from the infection is...

Also, as AHBD already mentioned, I'd also be worried about the underbite, as it looks as though he might have a little calcium deficiency/MBD as well, but you want to address the infection first, since it's been there for a month, that can be dangerous and result in a septic infection.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
beardedlady1":256c4aef said:
Taterbug":256c4aef said:

Ah ha! You said the magic word! Cheesy! My guy has the same lips but they look kinda cheesy. What Is that?!?!?!?!? I've been hunting posts trying to figure it out. He's hibernating atm and in his hideaway so I don't have photos but if the sides of his mouth look... Cheesy. What is that! I think it's a bad shed I've been assisting him with his mouth sheds and I've noticed it looks odd. He's got a little MBD in his jaw it snaps crackles and Pops on occasion. He Is a rescue.

The “Cheesy” bit I think is puss, though I could be wrong. Sometimes bad shed can look odd too, if you can get a look at the inside of the mouth it would be good. Also, “a little bit of MBD” is not really a thing. Once you start seeing symptoms it’s already pretty advanced. When in doubt I generally recommend evaluation by a good exotics vet.

Also, consider starting a new post that includes photos of your dragon. I think some other posters are confused and think you are the OP from a year ago on this thread

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
What I meant by "A little bit of MBD" was actually the "start" of MBD, as I didn't see any facial or other bony deformities, and the OP didn't mention any problems with the Dragon's walking, folding his legs underneath his body, twitching, tremors, or any other signs/symptoms of more "Advanced" MBD. So that's why I said "a little bit of MBD", trying to not scare the OP, that's all.

Yes, if you see anything "Cheesy", that is definitely from the infection, and it could actually be either a bacterial infection or a fungal infection with that particular type of discharge. So yes, getting a culture done by an experienced Reptile Vet is a must at this point, as it's been going on for more than a month now, and when the discharge gets to that point it could very well be at risk for spreading to the bloodstream...And the longer an infection goes on like that, the more likely that a spreading infection that kills all the tissue it touches, or "Mouth Rot", has developed, and then it becomes extremely difficult to stop.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today, any updates for us yet? I hope you are able to get it treated
& get any infection taken care of as well. Let us know how she is doing!

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Taterbug caught what happened here. :) The original poster put this thread up a year ago. Bearded lady commented that her dragon has something cheesy in it's mouth. So we are replying to an old thread .

So beardedlady, start a thread about your dragon, the dragon that we are all looking at + replying about is the one in the pictures in the first few posts from a year ago. :)

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Lol yeah I noticed people didn't catch that it was me that had said something lol they think it was the original poster. I discovered it was just a discoloration in his lip. Nothing more. He's good.

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Taterbug":33opaihi said:
beardedlady1":33opaihi said:
Taterbug":33opaihi said:

The “Cheesy” bit I think is puss, though I could be wrong. Sometimes bad shed can look odd too, if you can get a look at the inside of the mouth it would be good. Also, “a little bit of MBD” is not really a thing. Once you start seeing symptoms it’s already pretty advanced. When in doubt I generally recommend evaluation by a good exotics vet.

Also, consider starting a new post that includes photos of your dragon. I think some other posters are confused and think you are the OP from a year ago on this thread

He has MDB in his jaw. It snaps crackles and pops when he chews. But I've stopped the spread. Damage has been done but at least its not so horrible that he can't still eat. Poor dude.
92959-7713593542.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom