Can my beardie get along with a new beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

deelubzu

Simba is about 3 months old and I was wondering if I can bring a new beardie home and have them living together :) they're just the best :)

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
It's not good to have two or more living together. One will dominate the other. It will get ugly. Dragons live alone in the wild.
~ Tommie

RB1

you can put a glass screen in the enclosure to get them use to each other,i am doing this tomorrow with my 2 new dragons it works wonders

[This comment should be taken cautiously, given the member has yet to have a second beardie and had no prior experience housing two beardies together]

YBS0502

Hatchling Member
5 people including me say its a bad idea with only 1 person saying you can i would stick with the advice of the majority

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
RB1":9gj68si4 said:
you can put a glass screen in the enclosure to get them use to each other,i am doing this tomorrow with my 2 new dragons it works wonders

part of comment removed by moderator! disregard him please

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
While it is highly not recommended to house two beardies together, it is still the owner's decision to make.
Everyone can say what they want or reiterate what they'd heard, but what really counts is words from people who had experience with tragic cohabitation.

Please do not bash someone else's post. Leave it to the moderators to 'clean up'.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
I can speak for the fact that we have two beardies in the house and a third coming home in less than two weeks. Each of them has their own home and they are all very happy. And all of the humans are very happy, too. Honestly, the best friend your beardie can have is you. :D You're the one with the yummy buggies after all...

After all I have read on these boards, I have no desire to risk putting my beardies together.

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
Some other benefits to not cohabitating: 1)Knowing exactly how much of what each beardie ate. For example, when I separated my two adult females (after they started fighting) I learned that Lotus will eat anything green and hates red things - but Monster loves all things red & usually only eats the non-staple greens like bok choy and arugula lol. 2)Always knowing whose poop is whose in order to check for health & frequency, not to mention collecting for fecal testing . 3)Both of them won't get sick just because one of them is sick. Both my beardies came to me w/parasites which are VERY common, so I'm glad I don't have to worry about them passing it back between each other. 4)Yes, they can fight. When you least expect it. No matter what. My two girls had been housed together since they were babies & still ended up fighting. Sound reasoning?

Chirple

Hatchling Member
An unfortunate fact I read a while back was that no matter if bred or not, a female living with a male will have a drastically reduced lifespan.

I would guess this is because she would tend to be the smaller one, and the same would likely be true of the non-dominant male beardie if two of the same sex were housed together. Short end of the stick, even if you don't realise how bad it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom