Can MBD cause early signs of aging?

Cerko

Original Poster
Hi all, thanks for reading.

My boy is ~8 years old. He had no heat or UVB on him at purchase (~1 yr old) and was diagnosed with MBD by my vet. He had a crooked back and tail and couldn't walk at all. Overall in really poor shape :( I hand fed him for almost 8 months, he had finally started walking and the kinks in his back and tail straightened out almost completely. Overall he transformed into a much healthier, happier guy. He never regained feeling in his front toes, but moved around well so the vet wasn't concerned.

Now that he's older, I'm noticing significant slowing down over the past month. He hasn't gone to his basking spot without being placed there, and when I do he just climbs back down into his hide. He's stopped eating salad and today refused a dubia for the first time. His movement is slow and he's seeming to have difficulty picking himself up to walk. He also tipped over and couldn't right himself, which really freaked me out and prompted posting here.

From what I've read 8 is 'senior' but they can live to be much older. With this rapid decline, I'm wondering if the MBD early in life can shorten his lifespan? I have a vet appointment booked, just looking for others who've maybe experienced this.

Setup:
100 gallon tank, ZooMed T5 10.0 UVB, 50W heat lamp, temps: 100F, 78F

Diet:
Greens and veggies daily, dubias 3 times weekly until full (usually eats 3 adults then refuses more). All dusted with calcium + once weekly vitamins

Thanks again for reading.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi all, thanks for reading.

My boy is ~8 years old. He had no heat or UVB on him at purchase (~1 yr old) and was diagnosed with MBD by my vet. He had a crooked back and tail and couldn't walk at all. Overall in really poor shape :( I hand fed him for almost 8 months, he had finally started walking and the kinks in his back and tail straightened out almost completely. Overall he transformed into a much healthier, happier guy. He never regained feeling in his front toes, but moved around well so the vet wasn't concerned.

Now that he's older, I'm noticing significant slowing down over the past month. He hasn't gone to his basking spot without being placed there, and when I do he just climbs back down into his hide. He's stopped eating salad and today refused a dubia for the first time. His movement is slow and he's seeming to have difficulty picking himself up to walk. He also tipped over and couldn't right himself, which really freaked me out and prompted posting here.

From what I've read 8 is 'senior' but they can live to be much older. With this rapid decline, I'm wondering if the MBD early in life can shorten his lifespan? I have a vet appointment booked, just looking for others who've maybe experienced this.

Setup:
100 gallon tank, ZooMed T5 10.0 UVB, 50W heat lamp, temps: 100F, 78F

Diet:
Greens and veggies daily, dubias 3 times weekly until full (usually eats 3 adults then refuses more). All dusted with calcium + once weekly vitamins

Thanks again for reading.
How old is the UVB and where do you have it placed? Is it on the screen or inside your tank? the screen makes a difference - your surface basking temps are the 100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer?- he may not like the 100 temp I would try lowering it to 95 and getting some rolled up dish towels or towels under your basking light - the tipping over does not sound good and neurological - you dont want him tipping over while you are gone --- they cannot breath on their backs -- make everything lower so hes not climbing and running the risk of tipping over --as far as the question about MBD and age that is something Tracie would need to answer --
@Drache613

Cerko

Original Poster
How old is the UVB and where do you have it placed? Is it on the screen or inside your tank? the screen makes a difference - your surface basking temps are the 100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer?- he may not like the 100 temp I would try lowering it to 95 and getting some rolled up dish towels or towels under your basking light - the tipping over does not sound good and neurological - you dont want him tipping over while you are gone --- they cannot breath on their backs -- make everything lower so hes not climbing and running the risk of tipping over --as far as the question about MBD and age that is something Tracie would need to answer --
@Drache613

Thanks so much for the reply. The UVB is in the tank, it's 6 months old (I'll change it on August 1st), and yes taken with a digital probe thermometer. I'll try raising the light a bit and lowering the temp. I'll also adjust the setup so his basking spot is lower with less risk of falling.
Thank you again.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thanks so much for the reply. The UVB is in the tank, it's 6 months old (I'll change it on August 1st), and yes taken with a digital probe thermometer. I'll try raising the light a bit and lowering the temp. I'll also adjust the setup so his basking spot is lower with less risk of falling.
Thank you again.
I would get the UVB directly above him approx 12 inches --

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom