Can i feed super worms now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
The question you need to ask would be is the space between my beardie's eyes longer than a super worm when it's fully stretched out? If the answer is no, then you would be unwise to feed them as they could cause impaction.

You may want to repost this in the FEEDING section for more topic related input, but most people recommend black soldier fly larvae and dubia roaches as two of the most nutritional feeder bugs for bearded dragons.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
He should be ok with some superworms. If you can avoid them being a staple and just offer as a treat it's fine. They can get addicted to them though. Some may refuse to eat anything else if they get used to superworms.

Bmjo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kyleena29":3m1qj7hn said:
He should be ok with some superworms. If you can avoid them being a staple and just offer as a treat it's fine. They can get addicted to them though. Some may refuse to eat anything else if they get used to superworms.
I’m ordering him 250 Calci worms and a 100 Dubias how long do you think those would last me he usually eats about 30 crickets in the morning and greens in the evening

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
A growing one like yours will probably eat a lot. How large are the dubias? Calci worms are small so he'll go through those fast. I'm gonna say they probably won't last long, maybe a week? It's probably better you start out with a small amount anyway so you know if he's going to eat them.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
If he's eating about 30 bugs a day thats about 900 bugs every month, 210 each week.
So a total of 350 bugs may only last a week and a half, two if you're lucky.

I personally buy my insects in the thousands, a normal amount that I buy is about 5,000 bugs every 1-2 months for three beardies and three other reptiles.
Which that contains 2,000 crickets, 2,000 BSFL (calciworms), and 1,000 superworms.

If you know he already likes dubias and BSFL then I'd suggest ordering a thousand each at the least, probably 2,000 for the BSFL though as it does take a lot of those to fully fill a beardie up.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Usually, we recommend supers not be fed until they are at least 16 inches in length & 6-8
months of age. The reason is that their GI tract straightens out more as they mature. They
have a sharp curve in their GI tract when they are young which makes them more prone to
becoming impacted but thankfully they outgrow that for the most part.
As suggested, superworms are great feeders as long as other insects are offered also. I have
used them for a long time with no problems.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I agree …. treats only , never more than 2 or 3 in a sitting , and only once a week..... my gang go nuts when I take the lid of the superworm tub ….

Bmjo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
VenusAndSaturn":382vd1c1 said:
If he's eating about 30 bugs a day thats about 900 bugs every month, 210 each week.
So a total of 350 bugs may only last a week and a half, two if you're lucky.

I personally buy my insects in the thousands, a normal amount that I buy is about 5,000 bugs every 1-2 months for three beardies and three other reptiles.
Which that contains 2,000 crickets, 2,000 BSFL (calciworms), and 1,000 superworms.

If you know he already likes dubias and BSFL then I'd suggest ordering a thousand each at the least, probably 2,000 for the BSFL though as it does take a lot of those to fully fill a beardie up.
Where do you order your feeders from?

Bmjo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":3aq14awh said:
Hello,

Usually, we recommend supers not be fed until they are at least 16 inches in length & 6-8
months of age. The reason is that their GI tract straightens out more as they mature. They
have a sharp curve in their GI tract when they are young which makes them more prone to
becoming impacted but thankfully they outgrow that for the most part.
As suggested, superworms are great feeders as long as other insects are offered also. I have
used them for a long time with no problems.

Tracie
He is 18 inches long at 8 or 9 months old

Bmjo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster

Bmjo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kyleena29":175duulc said:
absolutely you can
Should i still feed crickets? If so how often? I’m ordering 1000 large bsfl and debating on ordering crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom