can a juvi beardie eat earthworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

BEARDIE144

Hatchling Member
i was wondering can beardies eat earth worms cause a pets store has them and i was thinking to by them but i gotta make sure beardies can eat them :?:

augsburg1530

Juvie Member
The problem with earthworms is the parasites. Worms are full of parasites and your dragon stands a high risk of getting problem parasites from eating earthworms. I personally wouldn't do it.

Eric

PuffPuff11

Hatchling Member
What is weird about this is that my vet said I could dig up earthworms from outside and give them to my beardie.
I have heard many people saying not to feed anything wild caught and I understand why, diseases, parasites, insecticides.. but if they were wild... they would be catching wild insects...
When Puff is outside over the summer I saw him eat a few wasps and he is fine, I would think a wasp would be worse than a earthworm.

I guess the answer is yes beardies can eat earthworms but there are better feeders you can buy.

P.S. I dug up few earthworms one day because I ran out of worms!

I have heard of cases of beardies dying because of eating wild insects with pesticides , so if I am not sure is going to be good I dont give it to my beardie. I care too much to risk her health. In the wild they eat whatever they find but they also have a very short life span than in captivity and this is probably one of the reasons.

BEARDIE144

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
guys there not wild caught there night crawlers they sell them at a pet store can i feed my beardie those ?

patrickb

Juvie Member
PuffPuff11":cb515 said:
What is weird about this is that my vet said I could dig up earthworms from outside and give them to my beardie.
You should find a new vet. That is just horrible advice.

I wouldn't be as worried about the pesticide problem as I would the parasite problem. Earthworms are potentially loaded with parasites that could be passed onto your pet, even the nightcrawlers you buy at a bait shop.

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
PuffPuff11 said:
I have heard many people saying not to feed anything wild caught and I understand why, diseases, parasites, insecticides.. but if they were wild... they would be catching wild insects...
Also please remember beardies would be in the outback where in the wild there is no pesticide. Also remember in the wild it's survival of the fittest they will eat whatever they can find. A beardie's life expectancy in the wild is if i remember about 2-3 years as opposed to being well cared for in the home and living over 8 years.

Grixxly15

Gray-bearded Member
An other reason not to feed earthworms besides pesticides and parasites is the fact that they have like what was it 86% moisture or something? Been a while since i checked but I think it is 86%. They will cause extreamly runny poo in bearded dragons if feed often. You always have the risk of dehydration with runny poo's.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Actually, nightcrawlers are way more nutritious than crickets and roaches. I don't see the problem in feeding them those unless the worms were raised under rabbits cages so they eat rabbits' poo. Then you'd got to worry about parasites because they would be too much bad microbes. In anything they eat, even crickets, roaches, greens and veggies, they can get parasites and it can bloom out of control if they are stress out, but if you keep your beardies correctly you should have any problem with parasites too often, but that's no guarantee. That's why it's important to do fecal test once or twice a year to see if there are any parasite problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Godaxus
Top Bottom