Can 2 uromstix be housed in the same cage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghr15

Sub-Adult Member
I have a uromastix and I wanted to have another Uromastix in the same cage as the one I have now. My question is if uro mastix are territorial like beardies are?

xbluex

Juvie Member
It can be done. I know alot of people who do, but say it would be best if they were clutch mates or purchased at the same time. The original uro might not let the new one stay in his/her home. Also, its really hard to tell the sex of uros especially if they are younger, so its not the best idea if they werent clutch mates. Just make sure ou have another enclosure set up and ready so that if there is a problem you can seperate them immediatly.
Oh and I just realise this thread is kind of old. Did you try already? If so how'd things go?

ghr15

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
xbluex":a8fdd said:
It can be done. I know alot of people who do, but say it would be best if they were clutch mates or purchased at the same time. The original uro might not let the new one stay in his/her home. Also, its really hard to tell the sex of uros especially if they are younger, so its not the best idea if they werent clutch mates. Just make sure ou have another enclosure set up and ready so that if there is a problem you can seperate them immediatly.
Oh and I just realize this thread is kind of old. Did you try already? If so how'd things go?

I did not yet but I will only buy one if I can take the lizard back if I need to.Though to try it I would try a tank divider and only let them together when I can keep an eye on things. I have for about an hour put one of my beardies with my uro while I clean the beardies cage the Uro seems ok with it. He will go over and lick my beardies in that small bit of time. My beardies seem to actually be affraid of my uro they don't like it when he licks them.

I am worried about the new uro harming my old one rather then the other way around. So I would start off with one smaller then jigsaw. Jigsaw was kind of a rescue. A store gave him to me for free do to his problems. He had MBD when I acquired him. HE came out fine except he can't open his mouth as wide as normal.

So I wanted to put a younger one in with jigsaw since jigsaw cannot phiscally hurt him. I just wanted to know since I did not want the new uro to attack jigsaw when he gets bigger. Since I do realize an hour or 2 having one of my beardies in there is far different then having a permanent cage mate.

I can have another cage but I would rather not. I did not buy one yet since I have to put that off for a bit since my TV recently died and needed to get a new one.

xbluex

Juvie Member
You really should never ever put your uro and beardies together..not because of the fighting factor but because they are very different species and both carry different diseases. Even if none of them are sick they can still be carrying some type of illness, that if say a beardie gave it to your uro, the uro could die from. They should never be allowed to come in contact with eachother because of this. In Nevada(where I live) in one of the exotic pet stores this happened when they had beardies and uros in the same display cage together, they had about 7 uros, most of which died in the cage, but I think it was 2 or 3 of them that they sold and they spread the disease to other uros that the new owners had. Huge problem.
Thats just my two cents worth. I'd play it safe and keep them seperated.

ghr15

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
xbluex":0f282 said:
You really should never ever put your uro and beardies together..not because of the fighting factor but because they are very different species and both carry different diseases. Even if none of them are sick they can still be carrying some type of illness, that if say a beardie gave it to your uro, the uro could die from. They should never be allowed to come in contact with eachother because of this. In Nevada(where I live) in one of the exotic pet stores this happened when they had beardies and uros in the same display cage together, they had about 7 uros, most of which died in the cage, but I think it was 2 or 3 of them that they sold and they spread the disease to other uros that the new owners had. Huge problem.
Thats just my two cents worth. I'd play it safe and keep them seperated.

Well that is a good advice then not to even put my beardies near my uro for even a few minutes. I just thought it was easier then what I normally do. I usually put them on my bed and put the blanket over top of them and most of the time they just sleep while I am working on there cage.

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
Well...I also would not suggest putting them together...although I have had two in the past together since they were teeny tiny babies and have always been kept together. They get along well.
As someone posted above I would not however, introduce a new uro to one that has been housed by itself and all of a sudden had to share that space.

Keeping bearded dragons and Uro together is also a no no. The Uro and Beardie need very different temps along with what was mentioned above with the different diseases they carry...you would not want to risk them passing it along to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom