Cage for 2 Bearded Dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

FF13805

Hello Bearded Dragon world.

I am looking to get two baby's and wanting to build my own cage to house them in that they can grow into. I'm looking for help on what size I should build. Any suggestions ?

thegreybush

Juvie Member
Well....you are in danger of some feedback that will likely be in direct opposition to your plans.

But to give you a best case scenario, I'd suggest building a 4x2x2 cage so that you don't find yourself in need of an upgrade down the road. Provide more than one basking area to help mitigate territorial disputes, and more than one hiding area. Set it up as a "your half, my half" kind of setup. More important than the size of the cage just be ready for the possibility that they may become a danger to each other as they grow. Dominance is a real issue and one can injure or even kill the other. This is especially dangerous with two males. You may have no problems at all. Its your decision and I respect it. I have had issues with pairing dragons and I have had great tank mates with no problems ever.

FF13805

Original Poster
I have seen that if two male are in the same tank that might happen, I have not seen anything about two females tho. I have also seen that when they are babies you can not tell the sex of them till they are older, not sure how true that. I am sure that if I end up with two males then I'll have to put them in two other tanks. Also we are talking in feet right. 4'Wx2'Hx2'L ? And i am look for any and all advice I can get. I can read all the books I want. But it's better to get first had advice from people who have had them and know what's going on.

thegreybush

Juvie Member
Yes we're talking feet. I appreciate that you've been reading books and not just the intewebs. You're researching methods are tried and true. I will offer that my pairing problems were with two young males as well. I also had two males who had no issues living together but they were brothers and grew together from hatching. I encourage you to listen to others' feedback and dissect the information thoroughly. Male/female combos carry their own risks as well. I consider those higher risks of dominance and repeated breeding than same sex pairing. You'll get more info from others. Don't worry.

ChrisMiller

Hatchling Member
A 4x2x2 with a simple divider would be perfect I would think. ;)

I actually bought a 4x2x1 with divider from Animal Plastics (T8) and plan to put my two new babies in that for a couple of months. Not as tall as I would like, but it should suffice since they are babies. My breeder said they would be fine together for a little while but I would rather not take the chances. Until that cage comes in, they will both go into their temp houses.... big clear sterelite tubs with their own reptisun 10.0's and basking lamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom