Broly the new super saiyan beardie

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Sounds like you went through hell with your grandfather. It's hard to be the main caretaker and never get a break. My father in law lived in Homer around 200 miles away, so we only got to visit him about once a year even when he got sick. His wife took care of him for as long as she could, then brought in a PCA, and finally had to put him in a nursing home when she realized that the care he needed was above and beyond what could be done at home, but she found him a very nice place where they took the best possible care of him that they could under the circumstances. They were doing hospice care for the last several years, with the objective being to keep him comfortable rather than trying to prolong his life. I think it was understood that my husband and I were not up to providing much help, since we're barely able to manage our own lives, so we weren't called upon to provide care, although my husband was always willing, perhaps unrealistically so. We both loved his father, but sometimes there's only so much you can do.

I would suppose that Broly is pretty much done growing at the age of 3, and I've got to wonder if the yo-yo thing with his weight might not be due to his kidney issues, and what he's gaining and losing is just water, rather than actual fat reserves. Nice to know that the loop of henle thing is straightening out -- maybe that will help his weight to be a little more stable.

Did you know that Kane was a German giant when you got him or did that get figured out later when he got so big? Jamie sounds like she's a nice healthy size and weight too, and happy with her new home and her new human slaves. :wink:

Things are slowly settling back into whatever is going to be the "new normal" around here -- some nice mostly sunny weather (I guess most of the storms went south) but very cold -- around 0 F. Typical Alaska in January. We're managing to keep the indoor temperatures warm enough with the furnace and the heat lamps, so Puff doesn't seem to mind. :)

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Around 2010, my mom took care of grandfather. I still did meals and taking his dishes away to wash when he was done. I didn't have to help with getting him dressed for the day. He always changed his own underwear. He just couldn't put on pants and shirt (too shaky). Idk how he managed his underwear but he did it. I used to have to get him dressed so he didn't walk around in his underwear. Sometimes he had an attitude that was unbearable when he needed clothes to walk around the house. Days he didn't want to get dressed. He said "if I can do this myself I would wear clothes when I feel like getting up." Most days he was nice about it. My mom did not want him in a nursing home. I honestly don't know why...I was exhausted for two years doing everything. She understood how tired you get. Yet, she kept him with us. My siblings didn't mind having him...yeah you didn't have to anything but school.
I totally hated being a caretaker! I didn't even get asked one day my mom said "you're taking care of my dad, end of story" Im 21. I was being told like I was a kid that was arguing. Hectic, only stress free environment for me was when he caught a cold and had to go to the hospital. Grandfather was never allowed to stress out. We made his life stress free as possible. I was the one stressed out at the time. I was 23 when I didn't have to care too much for him just food. Mom did clothes and cleaned his room. It got better when it wasn't just me.

Broly's weight is definitely water weight. He still has fat pads under front arms, head and tail. They're not caved in at all. The vet said because of his kidneys, he won't hold too much water. It does contribute to weight more than food. He has trouble holding lots of water. He can hold a decent amount.

We had an idea that Kane was a german giant. We got him from a breeder (adeno free breeder) at an expo. We have contact with the breeder to give yearly updates on his boy. He doesn't work for an chain pet stores or online. He's more local so it worked for us. I suppose he wouldn't mind shipping. I can't tell him what to do, it's his hobby. He'll do what he wants. Kane is done growing at 25" long. Usually he grows half an inch every day. He stopped growing now.

Broly (Petco 2015), lucky for us he's adeno free too. Petco/Petsmart usually have dragons who are sick and not well fed. This particular store, had uvb and basking light (too far away and it's all the employee can do at the time) and fed well. Tank was clean no stools or dead crix and fresh salads. The guy working had some knowledge and he knew the lights were too far away. The manager wouldn't let him hang the lights closer to them in fear of the lights falling on them. So obviously the manager understands the importance corporate tells them what to do. Hopefully no dragon stayed there long.

Jamie (rescue), is 4 yrs old, assume she has adeno but we're testing her now to see if she really does. She's 21" long.
People can totally lie about why they're getting rid of her. So we're testing her now if she's totally clear we thought about having them all in the big room. We decided against it as mating would happen. We don't wanna be irresponsible there's enough of that.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
It's always a hard decision to put a family member in a nursing home, and there aren't always good options, but in my opinion, for whatever it's worth, no one should be forced to take care of someone if they're not really willing and/or able. My family was lucky that there was a good nursing home available for my father in law, but for all that, the last few years of his life were probably pretty miserable for him, even though the staff seemed to really care about him and made him as comfortable as possible under the circumstances.

It sounds like you managed to get a bunch of reasonably healthy beardies, especially considering where some of them came from. It would be cool if Jamie turned out not to have adenovirus after all.

I hear that bearded dragons are getting like cats and dogs in that they breed easily and some people don't think about what they're going to do with all the little beardies if they let them have babies, so in some areas there are too many beardies and not enough good homes to go around for them, so it's good that you're thinking about being responsible with that.

When Puff goes hormonal I promise him that I'm not hiding a lady beardie somewhere in the house (because I don't want to make a bunch of little ADV positive beardies). I'm not sure if he believes me, but we usually only have to put up with a few days of black bearding and head bobbing, just enough to let us know that he's at least healthy and normal enough to be thinking about making little beardies once a year or so. :wink:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Well, mom didn't look at any homes so...we were just dealing with grandfather. We did till he went to the hospital. He died there because no one watched him and the wrong dose of meds they gave him. Someone did. He also likes getting out of bed to walk around. He got out of bed no one watched him (this is the reason someone needed to be home or watch) he fell hit his head and we pretty much knew he had internal bleeding in his brain.
He couldn't talk anymore, he was a vegetable...died the day after after slipping into a coma.

We sent the adeno test off last Thu so we should know this Thu...Idk maybe.

Broly's going crazy here till about late afternoon. We let him out and this is after he passes stool. We thought it was because he went potty and we take it out. He STILL goes crazy! Tearing up the 80 gal! Decorations upside down or moved, salad (we never use pellets, partially because we can't Rep cal pellets or whatever they are) spread everywhere..his tree on its side. I fix everything in his tank and he tears it up again! I chalked it up to spring fever. I checked the temps and they're fine (do I really need to type out the temps?) I know the temps I already had dragons before. He's lived in these temps forever. He's perfect outside his tank. Inside he's crazy! He'll eat so no biggie there.

Jamie doesn't look at the boys. Kane doesn't care he's not hormonal. Broly we think he is! He's crazy and he doesn't see Jamie. We still believe he knows she's here somewhere. His tank is above Kane's. The boys are stacked. Jamie has her own room. The 3 leos are together in a 40 gal, the gargoyle and tokay are stacked, both have their own 20 gal. We have a new leo after losing our 16 year old leo months ago. She's a hatchling right now so she's in a spare 20. She'll go with the other leos when deemed healthy by the vet. Right now, she's mostly quarantined and needs some growing before going in with the adults. We wouldn't just put her in after the vet visit...that's stupid. She'll get eaten by them.

Capaldi, our bluetongue...he's fine. He eats and he goes crazy at times. He's mostly quiet...he doesn't do much. Im not concerned...I probably should be. I may just take him to the vet as he hasn't been to one in almost a year now.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
It does sound like Broly probably has "spring fever," even if it is still a little early in the year for it. Any black bearding or head bobbing so far? I remember that Puff went hormonal right after the winter solstice in 2015-2016. His biological clock was running about 3 months fast, but he'd been too sick to even think about mating season the year before, so I suppose he was making up for lost time. Last year he was right on schedule(?) around April, although I really haven't got a good handle yet on what's "normal" for him.

Maybe Broly got a whiff of Jamie's pheromones. :?

Naw, you don't need to type out the temps, at least not for me. I know you know... :)

The usual around here. Cold temperatures but sunny days -- it cools off pretty fast at night this time of year when we lose our cloud blanket. Expecting a total lunar eclipse early tomorrow morning -- should be visible out of our bedroom window if it doesn't get cloudy. Puff will most likely sleep through the whole thing. Tooo early for him. :sleepy2: For that matter, his human "parents" might sleep through it too...

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

He's definitely spring fever! Depending on temps (sunny but cold), he'll either dig a tunnel to China or he'll quit for a while. Jamie comes out and runs the floor then I steam after her when she's in her room. I let the boys out together (bad I know), they don't notice each other at all. Im not an ill misinformed person and I don't need someone telling me "mistake waiting to happen!" Yes, it's dumb and should not risk anything!! The extremely passionate people are willing to say it. I haven't seen them on my thread at all and I kinda wanna keep it that way. They really don't notice each other! They're focused on the female and they can't get to her. Cats are usually locked in our room for lizard playtime so they're not here. Quill is outside so nothing happens there so he can't hurt the reptiles. My service dog won't do anything so he's allowed inside. Still stupid people, try to pet him when we're out...I don't think anyone cares about the rules like for effin real!! They're pieces of S! I clearly hate people..I was never ever a fan of them. I try to avoid talking or socializing. It's totally my fault...my parents did the best they could to get me to socialize with anyone they were friends with. I talk to some people. If I choose to want alone I just lock myself in my room turn on death metal music (my parents know my moods from the music they hear), and play with my lizards. This was a long time ago...now I just tell Tom how I feel.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Well, I for one know that you're careful with your beardies so I'm not going to give you a hard time about letting the males out at the same time, especially since it sounds like you supervise them very carefully.

If I remember correctly, Quill is the wild and crazy dog? -- so it's good that you keep him and the cats away from the lizards when they're out. Since you know your critter's personalities, you're the expert on who can be around who, and who is best kept separate.

It's nice that you have Tom to confide in nowadays. It helps to have someone who is on your side when other people get on your nerves.

The moon put on a good show for us yesterday morning -- it was clear, but when it went dark (still just barely visible) it was easy to lose track of it if you didn't know exactly where to look. I watched it out the bedroom window for several hours, but my husband went outside to plug in the car and then went out in the front yard to look. His father taught him where to find the sun and the moon and how to use them to tell time, so he knew exactly where to look -- then he managed to lock himself out of the house so I had to take my eyes off of it long enough to go let him back in -- but I managed to find it again after all, even before it started lighting back up again. It was full and bright again by the time it set. The nice thing about lunar eclipses is that you can look straight at them for as long as you like, without having to worry about burning out your retinas (unlike solar eclipses). :D

I've been getting a little concerned about the sloppy mess of retained shed on Puff's tail lately -- one part looks like it might be getting too tight, so I put some coconut oil on it after his bath yesterday. It doesn't seem to be bothering him, but I don't like the way it looks, so I'm going to see if I can get it to come off without doing any damage. Puff seems to be the king of the piecemeal patchy messy shed. :roll: -- And it only seems to get worse as he gets older.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Quill is more calm these days. He's still crazy when it comes to the lizards. So he's outside. Dewey could be around lizards as this cat is not capable of hunting...I seen him try but because of his weird healed twisted leg he falls anyways. I keep him away to keep people off my case! CJ definitely and will never be with lizards though he has cancer he's coping well he just has a habit of still torturing. At night, he stays with us and Dewey sleeps in his room. Cats are usually not an issue they learned their place when it's lizard time. They go in our room and we close the door.
Quill stays outside most the time. My service dog..Badger, is calm and has no interest in the animals. Victor has a cockatoo to talk to now, the cockatoo is named Thor. He's not ours and he won't ever be. Thor does talk to Victor so we have two giant birds talking.

Broly and Kane are still good together again they never notice. I was playing Dead by Daylight after lizard roaming is done. It's a good destress thing since nobody can talk anyway..probably better that way so no one falls in love :roll:. Love hungry boys like seriously. I rather find a gay guy.

I didn't see the lunar eclipse but I have in the past. Recently last year.
I saw the solar too it didn't get too dark. We had 96% so it looked like late afternoon. 100% was where it looked like night. I wanted to be there oh well.

Trees and bushes are starting to get leaves back. My carnivores are up well maybe just the venus flytraps. They're a February plant. I hadn't figured out why they get up then and not March. So I cut off all the dead traps. I did the same to cobra lily. I don't think it's up yet some young pitchers didn't make it through winter. It'll get up and eat wasps soon. The tips on most of my lily "tongue" have brown. It's unsightly but they're not dead most of the pitcher itself is green. I think it dried a couple times when soil is to be kept moist not wet. I may have forgotten the cobra on accident. It's still alive is all that matters! It wasn't severely dried just enough to see the soil was dark brown but felt dry to the touch. I immediately watered from the top! I was like "don't die!! oh my wasp eater so sorry buddy"...this plant is a challenge and if it does get mad at you at all it just dies. If you're lucky, it's just mad enough to grow slow and not die. Idk what it thinks of my winter care yet as it's not up but we'll see. My Australian pitcher woke up though it's pretty pissed off!! It's been watered Idk what's wrong but he won't die. He's been angry before and lived...maybe he's grumpy? Idk if plants have that mood...maybe they do. My American pitchers are awake so I removed the tarp as it's warm today some bugs came out and got eaten. Cold as heck at night so tarp over at night.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
All the plants and trees around here are still asleep, and probably will be for another couple of months. Too early in the year and too cold yet, except for pussy willows. They sometimes pop out very early in the year, but I think it's been too cold even for them so far.

I've never seen a total solar eclipse, just partials, even when I lived in California. I'm not sure if we ever get total ones this far north. Maybe, but probably not in my lifetime.

I've been tired lately for no good reason -- the old depression thing again. So I fell out before reptile bedtime last night and "Daddy" brought Puff in for his bedtime cuddle, then tucked him back in his tank when it was time for us all to go to sleep for the night -- Puff was already there. :sleepy2:

One more day left in the week to see if I can get anything done...

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

I've been tired and crabby and that's not people bothering me. It's probably depression.

I had Broly out and went outside (was sunny and warm and now cloudy and cold), enjoyed the sun for 9 minutes...well at least we got some UVB probably not enough.
We came in (wind is still too cold but at least it's calm) and put him back in his tank. He did pass stool but then his second time (rarely a second time) he passed straight water with a tiny piece of stool no urate. Tom said "hes just hydrated and letting out water no big deal he already went today anyway." I passed it off as yeah it's water. I dripped water and he drank a few drops out of .7ml.

Kane is doing well, he's eating and dropping stool too. Not water actual stool.

Jamie is still good and she tested negative for adeno. It makes me think why were they getting rid of her. She's clean and no parasites or other problems. I guess they didn't want her.

Broly's weight has been confirmed water...he carries water weight. I know this because Tom held him before he let out a load of water he was heavier. He passed water and he was lighter. I gave him some drops and he drank and he's heavier again. Wow...really?! He still eats though.

My hamster, Ash snores. Tom already checked her for RI. He checks all the small animals..nobody has an RI. She obviously she snores.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Glad to hear that Jamie doesn't have adenovirus after all. Now you won't have to worry so much about steam cleaning everything she touches.

Well, I pretty much lost this whole last week -- didn't get hardly anything done. Puff just sat around staring at me. Maybe this next week will be better. Or not. I never know. At least my husband is willing and able to take care of Puff when I'm not up to it, and at least he gets his cuddles and crickets (not necessarily in that order).

I guess that if people can snore, so can hamsters. My husband is pretty good at it too. It doesn't bother me -- at least I know he's still breathing... :wink:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

My neighbors cockatoo is a rooster in the mornings. They have a rooster as well as Thor the cockatoo. Thor imitates the rooster. Im just happy he doesn't wake up at 6am. I went out to the store to be ready for super bowl Sunday with my family. They're Seahawks fans but willing to watch my team hopefully crush the S out of Patriots. I really hate them. My aunt is a fan of them but she's tired of seeing them in the super bowl. Patriots always are there. So effin kill them!! Break Tom's hand Idc..he's a piece of S anyway.
Maybe he's not...but cmon...they always get there. It's no surprise they keep beating every team. I was hoping Jags had a chance! Im still crabby...

Broly is passing stool not straight water. It's good. He's still crazy though he can't see Jamie. He's losing weight (not noticeable) with all his craziness. Some of his weight is food but most is water obviously. I see where his weight is going.

Kane is losing weight too with craziness of spring fever.

It's warm out and will let the boys in the garden bunny hutch. I have to water my collards, peppermint and butternut squash. I take care of my bunny (Kenya) anyway. I always do I just don't type it much. She comes in her temporary cage inside if there's high winds. I never leave her in our second shed. We have two sheds one for our eagle, Carson and one for Kenya. She's mostly an outside bunny.

I still steam after Jamie. I need 3 more negative tests to see if she's a true negative like the guys. Adeno can become positive and then negative. It depends how high the level is to detect it.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
So I haven't been good for much of anything for the second week in a row, but at least Puff and my husband are muddling through. We managed a little cuddle with TV yesterday evening.

So the Eagles won the Superbowl -- Yay! :blob5: :blob8: Something to celebrate :D

No warm around here yet. Still down around zero at night even though they're predicting "warmer" (relatively speaking) temperatures in the daytime. We got snowed on too -- my husband was out half the night shoveling. Some ice fog too, and everything gets frosted -- kind of pretty. But it's definitely still winter around here. Give it another month or two...

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Yeah and Tom was a sore loser! He didn't want anything to do with shaking hands unless his team won...what a sore loser!! Of course he tried to do what the Eagles did. It was passing the ball around but...he couldn't catch it...LOL.
At least my quarterback caught the ball!! We did celebrate, my dad took everyone to dinner in honor of the Eagles.
I got to choose the place. So we had a good time.

I couldn't get much of anything done this week. My mop is broken (yeah shock to me too) so couldn't mop but I swept. Fed the three dragons, the birds and the four leo geckos. Our hatchling leo is doing well she grew a bit longer. I also fed the tokay and gargoyle geckos. Cleaned the bathroom, prepared salads for the dragons for the rest of the week.

Broly finally has been passing stool on paper towels. It will work better for my family if I leave town. Im going to fly to California for the weekend. Mom gave us money to go to Disneyland obviously. We have a hotel room set up so we can stay and try everything in one day. I love Disney though Im 30. Eagles should win every year! It was like a birthday. It's what we do when team (Seahawks, Eagles and Ravens) win then the person that likes them gets to choose where we eat and gets one expensive gift. Mom gave me Disneyland and a hotel room. That's expensive. Tom and I have some things packed, will pack the rest later.
I have food ready for the weekend my friend will drop in.
She's staying the weekend too to pick up wastes from all the reptiles. Of course she'll do bugs too and feed the dogs and cats. She'll feed our zoo.

Capaldi is fine the vet couldn't find anything. He's just lazing around like I do after cleaning up.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Eagles fans know how to celebrate, huh? :D

I haven't been to Disneyland in over 20 years -- we used to go at least once every summer when I was a kid. You couldn't do it all in one day anymore even back then, but you could get the highlights. We had it all figured out -- we'd stay at the hotel for several days, and every morning we'd catch the first monorail in to the park, and we'd ride all the popular rides early, and then we'd have lunch at one of our favorite places (Monte Cristo sandwiches at the Blue Bayou restaurant by the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, for example -- yummy), then we'd go back to the hotel and swim in the pool for a couple of hours in the afternoon when the park got crowded, then go back in for dinner and the Main Street Electrical Parade and fireworks in the evening, then go back to the hotel for the dancing waters show, and then do it again for the next day or two. Mom would say "chicken today, bones tomorrow," because it got more and more expensive every year, but we managed to do it every year until Mom moved to Ojai and I moved to Alaska.

Anyway, I hope you had a fun trip -- there's probably a lot of stuff there now that wasn't there the last time I went. And you're never too old for Disneyland. My mom enjoyed it when she was as old as I am now -- and I still would too if I ever got a chance to go again, even though nowadays I would probably get too tired too soon. It made for very long and exciting (but exhausting) days even when I was a kid. :blob5: :blob8: :sleepy2:

Business as usual around here -- Puffie finished off the last of his bugs on Saturday so "Daddy" had to run to the pet store for another batch -- all stocked up now. And we got the tank all cleaned up with fresh towels and stuff. And my poor husband's gotten stuck with shoveling snow as well -- we got a bunch of it dumped on us again, and I'm no help with that anymore, but at least it "warmed" up a little, relativly speaking, from 0 to about 30 F. :wink:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom