Broly the new super saiyan beardie

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Hi --

Somehow I must have missed that last one -- I thought I had posted something on here since your last post. :? Sorry about that. :oops:

Big change around here -- we lost Squirmles last weekend. :cry: Found him dead in his tank Sunday afternoon a week ago now. I posted more details about it over on my "Puff H. Bailey blog". So we are a one reptile family again with just Puff and his little entourage of live bugs to take care of, and especially motivated to cherish the one we still have -- extra cuddles with Puffie. He gets all our attention now and doesn't have to share his human slaves with anyone else.

I hope your wrist heals up and your stomach gets better too. Heck of a way to spend the holidays. :(

We're planning a quiet Christmas at home. My sisters and their families aren't doing anything special this year either. Our main project is an overhaul on this computer's operating system -- my husband's job. It's just barely limping along and needs an upgrade or whatever. If nothing goes wrong, the 3-day weekend should be enough time for him to get it up and running again before he goes back to work the following Tuesday, and if not, we'll have another 3-day weekend for New Year's for him to put the finishing touches on it.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Im hoping it heals quickly too. I hate not practicing..I wanna learn the Halloween theme. I got Candyman down.
I got an idea of how it's supposed to be played, just can't turn my wrist. I hate being bored and practing took care of that.

Broly passed a stool while I was out. Luckily not diarrhea so I was able to get it up. I did however gave him a bath because his tail was dirty. He hasn't had a bath since Nov 16. I just go with bathing when hes dirty not what everyone tells me about it helping with hydration! News flash it doesnt do jack for hydration, it's a myth. Some ppl still pass it around as if it does. Tbh, Im tired of being told do this and that as it helps this and that. Im doing what I want with hydration and hes plenty hydrated.

I saw about Squirmles. Bright side not passable to Puff. I lost a snail on the 14th of December. I loved that snail...
Squirmles is 15 and thats a hell of an age for a reptile. I had snakes, they lived to be 6-7 years old. It's not that great of an age. I was 14 when I had them. I was old enough to research and being honest...I didnt. 6-7 is good for no research. The vet said he had cancer forming too? Cancer is getting common with beardies.

My stomach has learned to stop finally. I had bacterial infection in my stomach. I got a 14 day round of antibiotics that should take care of it. Im taking yogurt for probiotics. Im still really sick..day 3 into the meds.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah -- baths only work for hydration if your beardie drinks water while he's in the bath. We dribble water on Puff's nose with an eyedropper when he's in his bath, and sometimes he drinks it, and if he doesn't it just runs down in the bath with the rest of the water so we don't get everything else all wet. It's pretty convenient to do it that way. And then he poops in his bath sometimes too -- and then we take him right out (before he splashes around and gets it all over himself) and dump it down the drain, so it makes it easy to clean up after him. So it works for us to give him a bath almost every day, but I realize that wouldn't work for everyone. It depends on your beardie and your circumstances.

15 years is a pretty good run for a corn snake, although they have been known to live longer, so I was hoping that Squirmles would be with us for maybe at least another 5 years or so, but no such luck. His death was sudden and unexpected -- one day he seemed just fine, and the next day he was gone. We don't know for sure if the nodules the vet found when she did the necropsy were malignant or not -- we didn't have lab tests done because it no longer mattered at that point, so we'll never know. He'd had a benign lipoma removed a few years ago, so he may have had a tendency to develop tumors, maybe something genetic, and it may have finally caught up with him.

Sorry to hear that you lost your snail. I guess it wasn't a good week for either one of us. But I hope the meds will help with whatever's going on in your stomach.

I've also heard about a number of cancer cases with beardies. Now that there are so many of them around, we're probably going to see more of these kinds of things that are usually thought of as rare.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Yeah, unless they drink they dont help hydration at all. If they use water as a toilet then yes bath helps cleaning their bowels out. Broly doesn't drink or use the bathroom..,he hates them. I use them when I have to and it's not often.
Kane will drink and use the bathroom...obviously drink first, stool later. Bathtime benefits him.

Like Squirmles, my snail was also fine a few days before her death. Water parameters were great. The male snail we've had over a year is still alive. Everyone acts the same, even frogs are happy as they produce a low humming noise at night. Im sure it's a mating call I just take that they wanna breed as happy.

Kane finally reached 562g! Took lots of work to get him to gain after his brumation. Broly is 561g! At Broly size 20" long he can easily weigh 630g with Kane at 24" 700g. Hes a very heavy boy. Kane isnt 2 till July, hes still growing. Broly will be 3 yrs old next month. I honestly can't believe it!! I still remember he was at least 1-2 mos when came home from Petco in Feb 2015. Man...time flies...years used to be long for me as a kid. I see them fly as an adult. Idk maybe I have more to do than as a kid.

Cancer isnt as rare in a beardie as it was then. I hadnt had to really deal with it. Idk whats happening. I had it happen to a sweet gerbil of mine. As for reptiles, none of mine have cancer. I hope I don't deal with it, Broly's a sweetie in his own way. Kane is too. No cancer in our hamsters and they're both two and a half. Rodents are prone to cancer in their older years. Usually 2-3 yrs small rodents get cancer. So Kirk and Ash are in their "golden years".

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I guess if I had any choice in the matter, it would be best for my critters to be healthy and happy right up to the end, rather than have a long illness before they die, so maybe we can be glad that it went that way for both Squirmles and your snail.

I would also figure that if they're thinking about making babies, they must be fairly happy and healthy, so I take it as a good sign when Puff goes hormonal in the spring, or whatever time of year it happens to be, even though things get pretty crazy for a while with the blackbearding and headbobbing and glass dancing and whatnot. At least it usually doesn't last very long -- just long enough to let me know that he's in reasonably good health and behaving like a normal adult male beardie.

Sounds like your beardies are both nice healthy sizes. They're bigger than Puff now both lengthwise and weightwise. Puff has always been a little on the small side, and since he's about 5 years old now, he probably isn't going to get much bigger. Also normal for him.

Yeah -- the older you get, the faster time passes. I think it has something to do with relativity -- when you're 5 years old, one year is one fifth of the time you've been alive, but if you're 50, it's only one fiftieth, so it doesn't seem as long. Also, you slow down, and the slower you're moving, the faster time passes. My husband pointed out to me that Squirmles was with us for one fourth of my life, the longest I've ever has any of my pets, and maybe the longest I ever will -- I'm going to be getting pretty old if I manage to keep another one for that long -- they may outlive me. You just never know.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Yup the frogs still sing. If they're loud enough it sounds like my old iphone that buzzes when it turns on. They're awesome and cute tiny guys. Kingy (my eel) is on his way out. Hes old now (about 6 years old). He was one of my eel's babies that I kept and raised from an egg. I still have his sister and mom. Dad died 3 years ago. He just sit at the bottom of the tank, not eating barely moving. Hes breathing slow. I checked the tank water parameters and they're spot on. My starfish are doing well as is my seahorse. My seahorse had babies. Hes a great dad...yeah male seahorses carry babies. I have 12 baby seahorses.

The beardies dont like to eat dinner. Theyll take breakfast though. I may give up trying to feed a second time. I would be concerned if they were babies/juvies. Kane is subadult so it's not too bad. Im just glad they eat anything at all.

My blue damsels one male on female so I have a pregnant damsel and yellow tang. Maybe Kingy is stressed by the new additions to the tank. My breeding damsels and yellow tang.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Sounds like your beardies may be to the point where one meal a day is enough for them. They're nice healthy sizes so they've probably got most of their growing done.

You've got yourself a nice collection of amphibians and aquatics.

Things are settling into the "new normal" around here with just one reptile (and a bunch of live bugs). I've been fairly useless for most of the week, going through one of my phases where I can't make myself do much of anything. Barely keeping up with the laundry, but we do manage a few beardie cuddles each day -- "Daddy" helps with that, too. :love5:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Our gifts are under my parents tree. Looks like there's a ton. But everyone gettin at least 5 gifts each. Jack gets 6 because hes a kid. Why not spoil my 7 year old nephew.

Broly actually passed stool on a paper towel.. He won't do it again. He just happened to be there. Looking at it...I thought I saw a slight tinge of pink but not sure. I'll watch for another. Pink is usually blood, too much vitamin or red foods. I don't over supplement vitamin or give red foods I guess I know what it is if I saw what I think I saw. Parasites ruled out in September. Hes plenty hydrated sonot straining. In females, pink urate is a girl is getting ready to lay her eggs. Broly is 100% male. I should know how to check for gender by now. I've had two dragons in the past. Anyway, not convinced I saw pink yet so Im watching out.
It was mostly white but thought I saw another color. I flushed it so can't double check. So yeah. Im not even sure if urate dries and turns pink but maybe not. Idk...I never look back.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Nothing wrong with spoiling your beardies or your nieces and nephews, as far as I'm concerned. :mrgreen:

We've had the thing with the red urates from Puff. The vet looked at it under a microscope and determined that it's not blood, so we don't worry about it anymore. It's fairly normal for him and he seems ok otherwise. Apparently it's fairly common and doesn't always mean that there's something horribly wrong. :?

My husband is planning to use the long weekend to upgrade the operating system on this old computer -- it's just barely been limping along lately. It's not going to cost us anything this time around -- the hardware is still ok so we don't need a whole new machine. But it will probably be down for a day or two while he puts all the software and stuff back in place.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

We've had problems with urates before from too hard to yellow tinge to pink (vitamin issue). Im fairly certain it's from carrots. They have vitamin content if too much it can make urates pink. It just came out of nowhere especially he's acting fine. I gave mint (it helps low dose of parasites) so if anything it can knock them down if they're climbing. We have a mint plant in the garden. A chocolate mint too dont ask. I do not give pieces of that one this plants for me.

I do spoil Broly and Kane too. My nephew is all I have no nieces. I don't think my sister wants another kid..she has a hard time raising her son when he was a baby. I had to help raise him most the time with her husband. Now he's 7 years old it's a bit easier for her. I honestly didnt mind helping a lot. He's a good kid. Hes getting some good stuff. He gets to open one gift xmas eve of his parents choosing. It's a tradition our parents chose the gift for us when we were young. As we got older we got to choose.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie urates do tend to come in all different colors and consistencies, and their human slaves get to figure out whether or not it's anything to worry about. :roll: Carrots wouldn't be an issue with Puff because he doesn't like them and never eats them. :mrgreen:

We used to have a little patch of mint growing in our backyard but it more or less fizzled out before we got Puff, so he hasn't had a chance to try it unless we ever plant some more. I've heard that lots of beardies like it and that it's a good treat for them. Didn't know it was good for parasites though -- that would be a good thing to try before using the more drastic meds. I've heard of chocolate mint and a few other kinds, but I don't know if they're an issue for beardies or not -- I would suppose that the chocolate flavor may come from something completely different than what's in regular chocolate, but just thinking about it gives me ideas -- I like chocolate way too much. :wink:

I've probably said it before, but I think it's really impossible to "spoil" anything with "too much" love. :love5:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

So we opened one gift today. I got some more Philadelphia Eagles stuff. My dad gave Jack Seahawks stuff. Grandson must be a Seahawks fan LOL. Dad told us when we get kids the grandkids will be Seahawks fan. My sister doesnt care for football so she doesnt care. It's ok. Jack's wearing the Seahawks jersey. Hes happy. Tomorrow he'll get the toys and games and probably a PS4. My mom Im sure got him a console.

Broly's urate is back to white so Im adding carrots back and won't be concerned with pink urates. I know what is...so no needs to be concerned. Happy Holidays!

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
So we had a quiet Christmas at home. I was tired for no apparent reason and slept through most of it. (Depression sucks :( ) Puff got his scheduled cuddles and Daddy made sure to tuck him back in to his little safe spot in his tank at bedtime after Mommy fell asleep.

Got the computer back up and running after a few glitches and a little frustration -- it never goes exactly as planned. But as far as I can tell, everything is working as it should -- just a different colored screen with things in slightly different places -- I'll get used to it. :)

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

It was a quiet Christmas since gifts were open early. It was lazy day basically.

I hadn't played xbox one since setting it up on the 24th with my xbox live account. I was quite surprised I remembered my password (hadnt used my Microsoft acct in forever. I may play tomorrow...we'll see how fast I get done with everything. Feedings/cleanings and showers. Victor gets a shower as well I want one too. I already took care of mopping the kitchen floor and cleaned up bathroom. I got laundry and can throw a game in between loads. I hate using batteries (unless rechargeable)...knowing how long I play I could kill them in a week or two. I don't like how the xbox one controller only came wireless...no cord so I don't need the batteries. I will get one Friday (so hoping). I need to order Arcadia, buy another pack of bulbs (par 38 halogen), rent and phone. We got the other bills and food covered. The lights are mandatory so is rent, phone, food and bills. Im still hoping for the cord at least. I can probably buy the headset in February when I don't need to buy lights for the lizards. Ugh so much money gone...I just want a cord and headset...oh well.

Brighter note: reptiles are good and fed well. Kingy made it! He was definitely stressed over the pregnant fish and seahorse. He can't eat the babies however he does stare at them..in the breeder box.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Batteries are a thing around here too. My husband has too many electronic gadgets that seem to eat them for breakfast, but I can't blame him for all of it. My electronic monitoring devices for reptile humidity and temperature contribute as well. We buy our batteries in bulk at Costco, but we're due for a run to the recycle facility to drop off the growing collection of dead ones.

Meanwhile, I've been spending way too much time playing stupid games with the computer (even though the new operating system did not come with any really exciting new ones), but if I can manage a couple more loads, I'll be pretty much caught up with the laundry, at least until I get another batch of bedding (past time to change the sheets) or Puffie towels from changing out the stuff in the terrarium.

Glad to hear that Kingy is still hanging in there. And I didn't know parrots liked to get wet. We never know about Puff -- sometimes he seems to enjoy his bath, and other times not so much. It all depends on what kind of mood he's in. :?

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom