Broly the new super saiyan beardie

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
If you can get Broly up and running with a new UV light in no more than a few days, he should be ok MBDwise -- as I understand, it takes longer than that for it to develop, usually weeks or even months, especially in an adult beardie. You don't want to let it slide, but you don't need to panic either. He's probably going to give you funny looks, and he may be in a bad mood and even lose his appetite for a little while until the new stuff arrives, because his light's not the "right color," but I wouldn't think it would do any permanent damage in that short of a time.

I suppose it's probably getting way too cold to take him outside for some natural sunlight, but at least he's still got his heat lamps in the meantime.

Glad to hear he's had no more leg cramps, at least. :)

There was a message going around these forums about a defective batch of UV lights, but I think it was the Zoo Med Reptisuns, not the Arcadias, so it probably doesn't affect yours. We bought an extra one, so I should probably get it out and test it to make sure it's good. Always good to have a spare, just in case.

Puff loves his "pretty color" -- I once put him back in his tank and forgot to put the UV lamp back on top, and it didn't take him long to do his little dance to let me know something was wrong in there. They definitely do notice these things.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

It's definitely too cold. I can sit in the window but no good too cold to open it. Glass filters 100% uvb. My fixture arrives tomorrow. Earliest I can get since it was a weekend. Actually he still has a GREAT appetite! No problem there. It was Reptisun 10 T5. I stopped using them and order arcadia. Youre right that doesn't affect us. I wouldnt let it slide...why does everybody say that...it's not like I WANT to make him wait. I don't! I wanted it quickly unfortunately, nobody delivers on Sunday and had to order Saturday (fixture died Friday late night). Even my parents said don't make him wait long. I didnt have a choice nobody had the right fixture.
Took him to the school anyway. No MBD his bones were great. His cal levels were 9.3 thats a tad low. They asked to up the cal a bit. It should be 10 or higher...not sure how high.
So I orally dosed him opening his mouth saw a very tiny red spot on the inside of his lip. I asked Tom to look as he's seen mouth rot before. He looked and said it's healed if it was a bite from a cricket. No bleeding and he loves eating so we don't think much of it. He did have crix yesterday one could have bit but no bleeding. Very tiny red dot you wouldnt notice it unless you looked close. He didnt even flinch when the syringe slid over the dot. Obviously doesn't hurt. We'll just watch it, if begins to look infected BACK to the school. I gotta retest his blood anyway to see if the cal is high enough after a week. I'll ask them to take a look and see what they think. Only conclusion I have is it is a cricket bite that closed because there's no blood.
I'm gonna listen to some scary stories on YouTube...Im already stressed I don't like waiting for the uvb when sun can't be good enough because of the stupid cold weather. I don't like he's stuck without it. So yeah...Im stressing out. Ppl tell me dont...that doesn't work. I need time to process. He's had mbd in his early life so his uvb is more crucial than a healthy dragon going without uvb. So his mbd can come back. It's came back a few times before. All four legs are stiff (theyve been evaluated no pain he's fine) but when he gets going they loosen up so yeah he shakes a little bit when starting to walk but good once they loosen. He doesn't seem bothered and hes had it since day 1 from Petco Feb 2015.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Sorry if I sounded like I was implying that you were "letting it slide" -- I know you've done everything possible to get Broly a new working UV lamp as soon as possible.

Murphy's law seems to dictate that these sorts of things almost always happen on a holiday weekend when you can't do anything about it till Monday or whenever. Our local stores usually don't carry the types of UV lamps and tubes we use either -- assorted sizes but almost never the size we need. So we usually end up having to order them too, so I always try to have a spare on hand so we don't have to pay extra shipping fees to get it here sooner -- shipping stuff to Alaska is bad enough as it is. :roll:

Hopefully your new lamp will arrive soon and things can get back to "normal" (whatever that is, as I always say :wink: ). In the meantime I can't say I blame you for being stressed out -- I had almost forgotten that Broly had a history of Petco induced MBD. :( It's good that he hasn't lost his appetite over it, at least, and it sounds like the little red dot in his mouth isn't anything really serious, especially since it doesn't seem to be bleeding or bothering him.

We're both lucky to have the husbands we have -- you've got a vet and I've got a computer wiz, so your critters get good veterinary care and I don't have to call the "geek squad" when the computer acts up. We're also lucky to have a good reptile vet even though it's not a family member. My sister recommended her when we got Squirmles 15 years ago; she also takes care of my sister's turtle. She does birds too, and sometimes even cats and dogs. :wink:

I've often wondered what full spectrum sunlight looks like to a bearded dragon through a window, and I've come to the conclusion that it probably looks like the glass is tinted, since it's transparent to some of what's visible light to them but not to the UV. Puff is sitting up on his basking platform in his tank looking out the window right now, but I have no idea what he makes of whatever he sees out there. It's a pretty sunny day but cold, so no one is going outside except my husband who usually walks to work. The rest of us plan to hole up in the house until spring. :)

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

It kinda sounded like it. Plus everyone said the same thing like four times prior to reading your post. I was thinking "I know.." Unfortunately, bad news: the fixture has been delayed till tomorrow. Due to stupid weather. Ugh! Nothing I need ASAP dies in spring or summer!
Whatever one extra day.

So the professor has said Broly has arthritic type caused by mbd. Meaning this mbd has caused arthritis. It's not painful. It does hurt SOMETIMES causing muscle spasms. Just now his left back leg flinched. I realized he doesn't like his feet being messed with. Sounds like mom's cat, Cocoa. I don't live with my parents. Of course my parents have a savannah moniter so her cat stays out of reptiles way. Im so tired of crap breaking!

One day, we'll probably need inflammatory meds if the MBD induced arthritis starts to hurt. No gout! Just an arthritic type of stuffness.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Well, here it is Thursday so hopefully your new lamp made it there yesterday. Sorry to hear you and Broly had to wait for another day. Chalk up one more reason why winter is no fun. I'm ready for spring myself -- too cold and dark. Unfortunately, they're predicting that it's going to warm up just enough for mixed snow and rain here. The "warmer" (relatively speaking) temperature will be nice, but it will make for some icy nasty road conditions -- and just in time for the weekend too. :( At least I'm not planning to get anything shipped at the moment -- just shopping for groceries and supplies at the local stores -- Costco and Petco runs planned for Friday and Saturday -- maybe. :roll:

One good thing is that in less than a month the days will start getting longer again, so I like to pretend that winter will be half over, even though my husband reminds me that the calendar says that's the "first day" of winter, and then I say, "Don't hassle me with reality." :p

I understand that having MBD early in life while they're still growing can mess up a young beardie's skeletal structure to the point where they have problems for the rest of their lives, so it's good that Broly's arthritis isn't causing him any pain so far. I guess Puff was lucky he didn't have it, because I heard some horror stories about the condition he was in when he was brought in to the rescue before we got him. MBD was the first thing I suspected when he started getting twitchy, but his little skeleton looked perfectly fine in the X-rays. I was worried about gout too, because his uric acid levels seem to be all over the map, but apparently the problems with his joints are due to some sort of opportunistic infection that they've never been able to identify. For now, it doesn't seem to be bothering him and it doesn't seem to be spreading beyond a few of his fingers at this point, so we're watching it but not doing anything drastic.

Puff tolerates having his hands and feet handled, but only up to a certain point. I used to try to file his nails and I could only do a couple of them before he'd pull away like, "Okay. That's enough!" Nowadays I just get his nails trimmed at the vet when we take him in for his exams. They do it for no extra charge when we bring him in for an office visit. I got some nail clippers for him but I'm afraid to try to do it myself -- his little claws are so tiny and I don't have a steady hand and my vision isn't so good, and they don't grow terribly fast, so getting it done whenever he goes to the vet works better for us.

If I remember correctly, a savannah monitor is big enough to properly intimidate a cat. I guess your parents have themselves a nice mix of critters in their house too -- it must be fun to visit them. :)

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

It's really fun at their house. They have 4 cats (they stay in), two rats and the moniter. They have guinea pigs too.
They manage all of the animals. They have 3 dogs...they're psycho dogs. They harm to protect family. Self defense...

I sometimes wonder if it's really illegal to hurt someone!! People won't leave my service dog alone!!! Everyone kept trying to distract him. Polite as I am said stop. I wanted to lash out and scream. I counted 9 encounters where people just didnt stop. Some were kids. I explained to the kids. Hell, saw adults encourage their kids to pester my dog..wtf is wrong with you?!? See a vest you stop! Dumb@ss!! Not only does bullying draw me away from people so does extreme stupidity! Omg....seriously! Youre dumb to distract my dog, dumber to encourage your kids. I had to leave I couldn't believe how stupid everyone was! I was done being polite so good thing I left. I just wanted fresh greens for my animals!

Fixture did come yesterday. He has since stopped flinching/twitching. He's taking serrapeptase for any pain.
He's also 543g! Kane is 537g.

I was told Im heartless and cold! Soooo because I lack empathy (definitely part of my condition) I have no soul. I can't cry because its not my family member...pet..whatever. I mean Fn seriously?! Are you kidding?! I don't have empathy for others look up Asperger's! Stupid SOBs we could totally do without some people! THOSE PEOPLE imo! No wonder I trust no one after school...some people don't see me cry or say sorry for your Fn loss Im heartless!! Im so pissed off!! Im ready to be a hermit...never go out in the world. It wasn't here...it was some social thing...someone died or something...I wasnt paying attention. Lots came up to me snd asked questions then told "you don't care OMG!" I didnt say that...OMG! Idk the person but apparently it's polite to apologize. I was raised to apologize for a mistake I did not something I didnt do. I didnt understand why some got so mad! Completely confused and going to shut myself off from the world.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
So I'm recovering from a slightly hectic weekend -- a few minor emotional meltdowns but my husband forgives me. :oops:

Your description of your parents' household reminds me of a little thing that got emailed around a few years ago -- it was a photo of someone's front porch with several large dogs sitting on the steps, and it was labeled "Redneck burglar alarm." :lol:

Good news and bad news in your latest post, huh? I'm glad to hear that Broly finally got his new lamp, but sorry to hear that you and your service dog had another "close encounter of the worst kind" with another bunch of mean and stupid people, not to mention that they're teaching their kids to be just like they are so that we'll be sure to have another generation of more of the same -- just what the world needs. :roll: I guess our only hope is that when the kids get to be teenagers and go through that phase where they challenge and question everything their parents taught them, maybe they'll figure it out and not turn out as bad as their parents after all? At least we can hope...

Meanwhile, it's pretty amazing that you were able to be polite to all those dumb@sses up until the time that you decided to leave before things got ugly.

It sounds like Broly is unusually sensitive to less than ideal lighting, probably understandable because of his history. I hope he's feeling better now that he's got his proper lighting again. At least he didn't lose his appetite and both of them are still at a healthy weight.

I hear that serrapeptase is pretty good stuff for reducing inflammation and pain. I understand it comes from silkworms, so they can probably get a little of it from eating the worms, but probably not enough to make a "therapeutic dose."

Puff would probably like silkworms, but so far I haven't been able to find anyone who will ship them to Alaska, not even the eggs. So they're not an option for us for now. :(

Don't let anyone convince you that you're "heartless and cold" -- they don't realize that it's hard for you to express your feelings the same way that so-called "normal" people do because of the way you're wired.

It's funny that I can relate to so much of this -- I sometimes wonder if I'm not a little autistic myself and it just never got diagnosed. My husband does most of our grocery shopping now, but he's learned that when I'm with him and I tell him that I need to go home immediately, you don't want to argue with me. When I get to the point where I can't be polite to people anymore, it's time to get away from everyone and go home and be alone. So I'm afraid that I'm going to end up being a hermit at some point too, but in the meantime I try to get out as much as possible because I think I need a little bit of a social life, just not too much. It's not easy though since I quit driving, and with my husband's current work schedule, we rarely have the time and I rarely have the energy to go anywhere and do anything "social."

At least we managed to get all the critter care done this last weekend, including a run to the pet store for more roaches (by my husband, I wasn't quite up to going with him). Very little progress on the housework (as usual), but at least Puffie pooped in his bath, drank some water and ate some greens (with much encouragement from "Daddy"), stuffed himself with bugs, and then displayed his usual interest in the mouse cable when Daddy sat down for a session with his laptop afterwards. Puff ended up plastering himself up against the glass to keep a sharp eye on what he still seems to think is a big long black wiggly worm, and eventually fell asleep that way. More or less another typical weekend at the Baileys.. :)

Crazy weather here -- it warmed up (relatively speaking) to about 40 F, but it's windy and raining on top of snow and generally nasty and miserable out there. A good day to stay inside, even if it is above freezing. :wink:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Yeah, that day wasnt good.

It was sunny but still 47 deg. Tonight 35 luckily no rain or it'd snow. Im used to rain. Im ok with snow but sometimes it KOs power. Youre cold outside and in. Gas fireplace for the win!

Through all the crap ppl put me through in school and in general..I was mainly confused. I didnt get it...I never cried.
The store was just weird...kids would say hi puppy..my dog would look and I had to repeatedly get his attention. He listened luckily. I'm hoping kids grow up and learn it's wrong to mess with service dogs. Some ppl think I brought in an ordinary dog and slapped a vest on. I didnt do that.

Broly through summer in my emotional animal. I can't legally sign him up. I can say it though. I don't bring him where he isnt allowed. Hes much happier with his uvb.

So someone came up (more dumb ppl) and said how passionate are you about my animals...I don't get angry when someone has wrong info and using bad lights. I get angry if they refuse medical care and dont make changes...I mostly have a dont care attitude unless it's mine. Ppl thought Im not passionate because I don't get as mad as they do. Well dumb@ss, theres a difference between mad and helping ppl. Dumb@ss is the nicest word...there's a curse word sooo yeah. Im not as "passionate" then...hell Idk. I'd help without getting mad for one and going caps lock. Maybe Idc because youre not my animal. Idk, I give up with the normal ppl. My brain being wired up differently I'd probably would forget about it I get distracted. Asperger's and ADD are my life thanks to my mind, Im smarter than most. Kids probably hated me because I AM smart. They don't like smart kids. I mean seriously...I'd like to see someone learn guitar on your own..no teacher...tuning it, stringing it up and learn. Most people who went against me on that subject failed miserably! I have an acoustic and electric guitar. I strung both of them and tuned by ear. I custom (can't spell) made an Philadelphia Eagles electric guitar.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
We have a gas furnace and a gas stove, but they both have electronic ignition so we still get cold if the power goes out. Fortunately, the city power utility does a pretty darn good job getting the power back on as soon as possible when the wind knocks down the power lines. They're working on putting in underground cables in some neighborhoods, but it takes time. Fortunately we've haven't had a power outage that has lasted long enough to seriously threaten the reptiles, at least nothing that cuddling up to a warm human body for a few hours couldn't get them through, and at least not so far.

I guess I could call Puff and Squirmles my emotional support animals too, but also unofficial.

Puff's after bath cuddle turned into his bedtime cuddle last night -- that happens sometimes. "Daddy" handed him to me wrapped up in his little towel and he settled right down and went to sleep -- not interested in squeezing in another hour of light bulb worshiping before bedtime, or he would have let me know by squirming out of the towel, crawling up on my shoulder, and staring at the nearest lamp, so I just cuddled him for a while, then tucked him in and called it a night. He spends most of his day soaking up heat and UV (I call it his "warmies" and his "pretty color"), so I figure he can afford to miss at least an hour or two here and there.

It's weird when people get angry with you for not being angry. I got into a discussion with a church group a few years back, right after Hurricane Katrina, and someone disapproved that I was not angry and morally outraged about all the poor people who lived in the lowlands and got a raw deal in that whole mess -- Sorry -- I was just sad and confused -- so I have to apologize for that? Yeah -- ok. Whatever. :roll:

I think maybe some people hate smart kids because they're jealous that they're not as smart. Sometimes realizing that can make you feel better -- otherwise it's easy to feel like you're somehow inferior because they treat you like dirt.

I never had an electric guitar, although my boyfriend back then tried to talk me into turning my acoustic guitar into an electric one -- I guess there's a way to do that, and he was pretty good at that sort of thing. He said I could hook it up to an amp, but I'd taped a piece of paper over the sound hole so I wouldn't disturb the neighbors when I was practicing. I told him I played lousy and he told me that I could play LOUD and lousy, but I didn't want to do that... :wink:

We're going to have a pretty sloppy Christmas around here if the current weather pattern keeps up, but this sort of thing usually doesn't last very long. It will probably all freeze up again before then. :mrgreen:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Just another reason why Im not suitable to work with ppl.
Sometimes they rather you be just like them. It's strange...why can't I be myself? Why does anyone have to be like others?

Broly's had super normal stools lately. I have been giving .6ml of calcium. I had originally gave .3 ml. The levels have to go up. Since losing uvb those few days his cal levels did drop to 9.3.. Almost 10 but not quite. I took him in to test cal now that we have uvb. It's 11.3 :D. Broly's body does tell me when something is up with fixture or the uv bulb. I know this because the flinchy/twitching will start up.

Kane is doing better. He'll be two in July. Broly's going to be three next month. I got repashy grubpie. It'll be a cake like. Im using it for both birthdays.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I think people have some sort of a primal instinct to mistrust anyone who doesn't look and/or act like they do, but they usually don't think or realize that the world would be a pretty boring place if everyone were exactly alike. Friends who will let you be yourself are really nice to have if you can find any... :)

I've heard that calcium status can have something to do with normal vs abnormal poops, but I don't have a very good understanding of the relationship. It sounds like getting his calcium levels just right has helped Broly with that, kidney issues notwithstanding. I'm glad to hear they're both doing better.

If your beardies like Repashy Grub Pie as much as mine does, it will be a nice happy birthday treat for them. :D

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Im actually really good with online friends. I don't socialize in the real world. I can type/talk on microphone on xbox just fine. In real world, I freeze up..no talking...anxiety. I don't bother with that unless I have to talk to someone...like social security people or food stamps. I know government..but whatever. Since having Asperger's, being alone all the time (for me anyway) isnt at all lonely. I prefer solitude a lot of the time. I always got my own room growing up though my other three siblings shared a room at one time. I could share a room but my parents realized it doesnt help make me talk to ppl if I don't have to. They stopped trying and got a bigger house. So I don't like sharing a room as there was no solitude and I got stressed. It did make my parents get a bigger house. I dealt with the stress for three years though. Being isolated in class was awesom hated group projects...I didnt like standing up in front of the class alone or group...it meant talking..I toughed it out in school fortunately.

They like grubpie so it's an easy "cake mix" LOL. I put a candle on it (it's an edible carrot). I cut the candle up. They have small amounts of it. No fire. My hamster gets a carrot slice with a tiny piece of banana on it..it's healthy. She doesn't get banana all the time.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Online friends are actually a new thing for me, ever since I signed on to this website a little over a year ago. The only other social media I do at this point is a neighborhood thing called "Nextdoor," but I suppose I'm going to get dragged (probably kicking and screaming :p ) onto Facebook sooner or later by the rest of my family, if I ever want to keep in touch with my nieces and nephews.

I don't mind talking with people, but usually in fairly small doses. I have a high need for solitude also, but I think I get plenty of it during the week when I'm home alone with the reptiles while my husband is at work. Talking with government agencies is Not my idea of a fun conversation. :roll: I've been going through that lately trying to get my "Obamacare" health insurance straightened out for 2018, and if it weren't for the tax penalty I probably wouldn't bother. A long time ago, I came to the conclusion that professional health care is a luxury that I can't afford, but I suppose it will be nice to have a minimal safety net just in case I need to go to the emergency room with a runaway infection, or in case I take a flop on the ice and break my arm, etc.

I also find it easier to talk about emotionally charged issues in writing because I have a "buffer" between me and the other person -- I can think about it and edit before I hit "send". My husband and I each have our own email address (actually, he has 3 or 4 of them, but I only need the one), and whenever I'm upset with him for one reason or the other, I try to write him an email instead of blowing up at him in person. Then I save it as a draft and sleep on it for a day or two, and then I look at it again after I've cooled off a little, and decide whether or not I want to send it as is or modify it. And if I've realized in the meantime that whatever it was I was so upset about at the time is not really worth arguing about, then I can just delete it.

I was lucky enough to have my own room as soon as I was old enough to need it. My two sisters are 13 and 14 years older than me, so they were my babysitters rather than my playmates, and they had both moved to Alaska by the time I was 8 years old -- my mother and me and most of the rest of our family were still in California. So I never really learned how to share my living space with another person. Getting married when I was in my early 40s was a big adjustment. It's amazing that my husband hasn't gotten sick of me after 18 years of putting up with my being a "female dog" (if you know what I mean :wink: ) about so many things around the house...

That's a cool idea using carrots for edible and non flammable "cake candles." :lol:

I finally managed to find the energy to "cook up" another batch of Repashy Grub Pie on Thursday morning, stocked up the freezer, and gave Puff a little treat. He went nuts for the stuff, as usual. He just had roaches with the usual calcium and vitamin powder for his big Saturday meal yesterday. We're out of crickets and we were planning to go get more on Friday evening, but I decided to wait for better road conditions. We've continued to have "warmer" than usual temperatures just above freezing in the daytime, dropping back to just below freezing at night, with a mix of snow, sleet, and freezing rain -- the result is a giant ice rink pretty much everywhere. This is the sort of thing that we have the grub pie for -- so if we run out of live bugs and can't get more right away, I don't think Puff will mind. He'll probably think we're letting him eat "candy" for dinner, although I suppose his poops would probably get a little messy. :mrgreen:

My sister's turtle likes banana too. But not as much as she likes earthworms. It's actually pretty gory to watch her eat an earthworm. :puke:

Squirmles ate a couple of mice yesterday too (frozen thawed, as usual -- we don't feed him live ones), and for some reason he's been hanging out at the cool end of his tank ever since. He does that every once in a while, and I get to worry that he's not going to digest properly. But as long as he poops in a few days and it doesn't come out the front end instead, we can probably call it good. :)

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

I would have replied sooner but football was on and then aunt and uncle came over. They were showing off my cousin's twins. The kids are 1 yo, born on Halloween.
After that, a headache came on and slept at my parents house. We were all gathered there for the Seahawks game...it was a shame...sore spot. Brighter news...my Eagles won over Rams...it was a very tough game...my quarterback has a knee injury...Rams sandwiched his legs. Still beat you Rams...so...yeah.

I finally took Advil since sleep did nothing. Whatever...

Reptiles are doing well. Broly still gets occasional diarrhea. He is getting super normal stools. I hate headaches..I honestly can't believe it's still here. I did a dark quiet room and rested. I suppose I shouldnt be surprised it never ends well for me. It's not a terrible headache at least.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

It's been a bit. I've been so busy, housework and animal care.

I have some gifts under the tree. They're not all here but some arrived. Wrapped and ready to take over to my parents place.

My stomach has been plagued with problems. I can't play guitar...my wrist is sprung and it hurts to keep it turned to play. Yeah...great way to delay playing to kill time. So basically, after everyone is taken care of...I can't do a damned thing!! Tv is entertaining only for so long. Reptiles need 2-3 hrs before coming out after eating. Geez...the one thing that kills boredom I can't do...I don't play games much so I guess I have that till my wrist heals. Oh well...
Everyone is fine and well fed.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom