breeding waxworms (NOT FOR STAPLE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

frog

Sub-Adult Member
i heard they are easy to breed and i thought it would be fun for some experience and overall just a fun project. who can tell me some stuff on it?

MAJ

Hatchling Member
Here is another site with a few alternative growing media:
http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Live Food, Wax Worms.htm

Googling "breeding waxworms" will give you a ton of basically similar info on the general cultural requirements.

I tried breeding them for fun over the summer. They like warm dark places,so i just left them on a shelf in my garage for a couple of weeks. Don't open the container until any remaining moths have died off. Otherwise, you will have escapees. The moths will die off in a couple of weeks, and by then you should see a number of tiny worms crawling in the media. A couple of weeks later, and you will have hundreds of decent sized waxworms.
The media is kind of sticky due to the honey content. Once the worms get to be a decent size, you will need to separate them from the media. This can be messy. There is a lot of silk from the worms binding the media together, and it takes some effort to separate them. Tweezers make it cleaner work, but takes absolutely forever. Fingers are much faster but it gets very sticky.

Pros: Very easy to set up and minimal effort to get them going.

Cons: You end up with way too many waxworms for something that should be reserved as a treat. A fair bit of work to extricate the worms from their growing media.

It was kind of fun to try and watch them. You will likely find that your home-grown waxworms are much faster movers/crawlers than their commercially purchased equivalents. Their level of movement is very visually stimulating from your beardie-- just not terribly nutritious. I may try them again in the future, but there was a lot of waste. I was only able to use up a fraction of all of the worms that came in a single generation.

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
thanks barbara and MAJ. i did in fact google breeding waxworms and got a bunch of helpful info but i thought, why not get some opinions? i have 3 leos as well as a beardie to feed them to. also i plan on putting them in the fridge (i keep my waxworms from the pet store in the fridge so ya) so i will have a good supply in the fridge. thanks for the help!!

Sara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom