Bred my bettas

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
The picture barely conveys it lol.

She was reeeeeelaaaaaaaaxeeeeeeed

Just rescued this Cichlid. Now I need to move the baby bettas out of the tank I just put them back in lol The tank it came in is far too small.

View attachment 88242
Alex has some cute competition lol Can't wait to introduce her tomorrow. It was lights out when this popped up as having to go ASAP. Guy paid somebody to do work at his boat shop while he was in Florida for a few months. Guy moved into the shop for a few months of free rent and bolted when the owner got back having not done any work. Left behind this Cichlid in a pretty cool tank. I thought it was going to be maybe 2in.... It's pushing 6 lol His wife was angry and wanted to flush the fish (revenge?) Anyway, I wanted the tank and got a cool surprise inside again :)

No idea if it's male or female as I never even thought about them. We named it Woodstock :)

Aren't those pretty aggressive towards other fish? Best I remember the ones my friend had were tank wreckers also.
Very pretty fish though 👌 😍

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
Aren't those pretty aggressive towards other fish? Best I remember the ones my friend had were tank wreckers also.
Very pretty fish though 👌 😍
It's a small medium predatory fish. Checks out lol

Like blaming beardies for eating fancy insect pets instead of their roaches ;)

Yeah, they'll eat guppies. Because that's what they eat :)

So pretty sure it's a male, going to verify when I move it later into the big tank. I have actually been wanting an actual larger predatory fish. I thought Bettas would be it, but they're pretty puppy like. I have been contemplating a wild captured panfish, but this is basically the African version. Going to offer live food today, probably for the first time to be honest.

From flake food to live insects, worms and fish. :) Hoping to eventually be able to hand feed him like I do Alex.

PXL_20240324_181802169.jpg
PXL_20240324_184127794.jpg

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Thats cool.
I had another friendcthat big oscars, they would interact with him.

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
Figured out why he's probably not eating

He's a vegetarian lol

Apparently one of the very few cichlids that aren't omnivores. In the wild they eat algae and plankton, so I'm going to make some seaweed and shrimp smoothie and freeze it for him.

Edit: The first fish I feed like Alex. Depending on his current age, he could outlive her. Up to 18 years.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Figured out why he's probably not eating

He's a vegetarian lol

Apparently one of the very few cichlids that aren't omnivores. In the wild they eat algae and plankton, so I'm going to make some seaweed and shrimp smoothie and freeze it for him.

Edit: The first fish I feed like Alex. Depending on his current age, he could outlive her. Up to 18 years.
Wow, I didn’t know fish lived that long.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Larger fish, longer life. I wouldn't be surprised if our young koi outlives me.

Mainly because I'd be dead lol
Wow, I knew turtles and birds had to have arrangements made for our passing, but I had no idea it eas the same for fish. I'm a smarter person today lol.

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
Wow, I knew turtles and birds had to have arrangements made for our passing, but I had no idea it eas the same for fish. I'm a smarter person today lol.
Not only the fish, but the equipment too. So many people just inherit things. I picked up an entire Angel fish breeding and grow out for sale setup from a last after her father passed away (former fish store owner)

Same with our beardies things ;)

Hopefully we still have beardies with us at that point :) Still gotta be the weirdo at the retirement home lol

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
I love when my Hazel goes into the fish room and just watches the fish, it's fascinating if how beardies will watch fish everyday all day.Hazel stay in there for a while because in the room it gets up too 98° which is very hot and humid and then there are a bunch of LED lights because some of the fish we have need them so she can stay down there on a stack of warm towels and she doesn't move lol 😂. and then once I move her back to her cage she hates it 🤣

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
I love when my Hazel goes into the fish room and just watches the fish, it's fascinating if how beardies will watch fish everyday all day.Hazel stay in there for a while because in the room it gets up too 98° which is very hot and humid and then there are a bunch of LED lights because some of the fish we have need them so she can stay down there on a stack of warm towels and she doesn't move lol 😂. and then once I move her back to her cage she hates it 🤣
Yep, I keep a tank of mostly male Endlers right across from her enclosure. She'll paw at the glass to be brought out and get closer to the fish :)

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Yep, I keep a tank of mostly male Endlers right across from her enclosure. She'll paw at the glass to be brought out and get closer to the fish :)
I've always wondered if they just like the color and movement or if they are planning on having fish for dinner..... I mean fish over for dinner 😉

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
I've always wondered if they just like the color and movement or if they are planning on having fish for dinner..... I mean fish over for dinner 😉
She has eaten a French blue Endler lol (once)

But mostly I think it's just exciting to watch.
She likes watching the cats and dogs go by. The cats are especially curious to her. They get a lot of quizzical head turns :)

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
She has eaten a French blue Endler lol (once)

But mostly I think it's just exciting to watch.
She likes watching the cats and dogs go by. The cats are especially curious to her. They get a lot of quizzical head turns :)
She wonders if cat taste like chicken... then she wonders what chicken taste like, then what IS a chicken anyways lol 😆

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
Right now she's only interested in super worms lol. Roach? I shall take it by hand.

Superworm? :KAAAAAPWIIIING: Off the branch and across the enclosed lol

PXL_20240328_210602302.jpg

Pink and blue koi maybe. Still young

PXL_20240328_210305230.jpg

Looks just like her daddy :) Full black head, red front fins.

PXL_20240328_210812125.jpg

Getting big and dark.

PXL_20240328_222721260.jpg

Was pancake basking, but woke up to pose lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom