best way to clean cricket cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
id soak all the pieces in warm water then use a pipecleaner to scrub out the tubes. use a sponge for the rest. make sure if you use soap to remove all of the residue before drying and rehousing crickets.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
What do you keep them in?

I have a 10 gallon tank, and when I get a new shipment of crix, I line it with paper towels with masking tape to keep it in place. Every other day, I gather all of the waste, dead crix, and shells and scoop it out. I also throw out any old food, and throw out the water crystals, dry or not. I replace the food (I use beardie pellets and greens) and water crystals.
When I have a lot of crix, sometimes I do this every day. It's imperative to remove dead ones, as the dead ones will kill your lives ones.

I also use the egg crates that come with my orders. I usually order phoenix worms, too; they send them in a separate box and use egg crates to secure my packages, so I always have spares. If I need extra 'furniture' or hide spots, I use toilet paper and paper towel tubes. Just throw them out when they are too soiled. Usually every order of 500 crix is about time for them to go.

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
i use one of those critter cages (the little plastic ones) because i only use crickets occasionally. but i dont know how to get to the bottom and get the stuff out wiothout killing the live ones or having to take them out.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
They should just move out of your way!
I would probably just tip it to the side and shake it gently. This should knock any loose debris to one side so you can remove it. I would just take a wet rag and wipe around the cage. They should move.

sithcdw

i use a 58 qt tub for my gut loaders

and a ten gallon for my breeders

i sterilize the enclosures once about every 3 months
but once a week i scrape the bottom of the cage with a card to get all the waste and stuff to one spot and then i vacuum it up

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
negativecreep- ok. that makes more sense. i was thinking i would have to move THEM out of the cage :p

clear

Sub-Adult Member
Spray some insecticide in there to get rid of the nasty buggers, clean with bleach and water and put some roaches in instead.

LQDragons

Juvie Member
clear":4ffcd said:
Spray some insecticide in there to get rid of the nasty buggers, clean with bleach and water and put some roaches in instead.
I was thinking that :lol: , but didn't want to say it :mrgreen:

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
for me? i just use crickets as an 'emergency food supply' for when im low and need something to push me through till i order more worms! i go to the pet store buy 50 or so and ya.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom