Best Thermometer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey my thermometer crapped out and I need a new RELIABLE one. I've been reading up on the temp guns but don't know which one is the best. Does anyone have any good advice or recommendations? Thanks!

peera

Sub-Adult Member
I <3 my Accurite indoor/outdoor from Walmart. I've heard good things about temp guns, but never actually used one.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Temperature guns are great, you just point and shoot which gives you an instant reading. Here's some that I found when I did a search for you. http://www.amazon.com/Raytek-Non-Contact-Thermometer-Laser-Sighting/dp/B0002198GY

WalMart carries the AcuRite brand digital thermometer with probe for about $12.00 which works great too. It gives both basking and cool side temps at the same time as well as a humidity readout. With the digitals with probes though, you have to wait about 45 minutes to get the final readings. I actually have 2 AcuRites as well as a mini and full sized infrared temp gun and they all work well.

mysterysock

Original Poster
So do you actually point the gun at your reptile to see if their skin temperature is at the appropriate basking temperature? Or do you point it on the surface of the basking site or what?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can actually do both or either. You want to get a reading from 2" away. Another thing that the temp gun is great for is checking bath temp.

mysterysock

Original Poster
I found a Zilla Temp-Gun - good/bad? And do you use a temp-gun along with a probe of some kind or is just the gun good enough to maintain appropriate temps?

mysterysock

Original Poster
Or is it best just to have a few digital probes in there? It seems to me the temp guns are unreliable as they only detect the temperature of the surface, not the ambient temps.. right?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
mysterysock":8f9d8 said:
I found a Zilla Temp-Gun - good/bad? And do you use a temp-gun along with a probe of some kind or is just the gun good enough to maintain appropriate temps?
That temp gun is fine. Having one or the other is fine but I personally like using both to double check the temps. For a quick reading, a temp gun is good but using a digital with probe on hand is a good idea too I feel.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
mysterysock":60407 said:
Or is it best just to have a few digital probes in there? It seems to me the temp guns are unreliable as they only detect the temperature of the surface, not the ambient temps.. right?
If you buy a digital with probe that gives 2 readings then you don't need to use 2 probe thermometers. The AcuRite brand that I mentioned in a post above gives both readings at once and also has a humidity readout. Here's a picture of it:
100_0297.jpg

With a temp gun you can get ambient readings by pointing in different areas in the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mei mei
Top Bottom