Best Lay Bin Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

atonal

some people say sand, other say soil..... What would be the best substrate for a laybin? also how deep should it be? thank you

Jayson745

Hatchling Member
sand is easier for them to dig into, but likes to collapse if they dig to big a burrow

I usually use a huge tote, then pile moist soil on one side about 2/3rds the way up, then start a hole for them going into the side of the mound twards the bottom. They'll usually gladly use the prestarted hole and save themselves a little work. I think the more soil you use, the less chance there is of collapse when they dig into it.

atonal

Original Poster
thanks!!, what about a mixture, and does it make a difference if i only have about 7 inches of soil?

Jayson745

Hatchling Member
I would double it if possible. if she digs a hole 4 inches tall, theres only a 3 inch roof, and it will probably fall in on her. Everyone has what they like to use. I just hate seeing them put a ton of work into digging just to have it fall in on them, and regular old fashion dirt seems to hold its shape the best. If you do a mixture, I'd go easy on the sand part. Having enough moisture in there helps it hold to. You dont want it muddy or anything, but it shouldn't be dry either. I shoot for what I think will stay together, like where you can make a dirt snowball with it.

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
We used moistened Eco Earth mixed with Playsand when we had laying dragons. It was about 1 1/2 feet deep, just so they had some good digging room.

atonal

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice guys!! i had bough the compressed eco earth but its made out of coconut fibers, doesnt clump or ball up :-/ im such a beginner at this :oops: she hasnt laid yet so tomorrowi will get sand ( regular playing sand ) and mix it in so hopefully it clumps up and ill fill the 30 breeder up atleast half way or ill get a pretty big tub!, my incubator comes in on monday or tuesday, i hope she holds off till then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom