Been bitten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimleo

Juvie Member
I was feeding a garter snake today and I was bitten, lol. I had a minnow in my fingers and the thing went crazy bitey for it and missed it's shot and bit my finger .__.

daddyburgi

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Mine was a mistake. I had a mouse in tweezers and dropped it by accident. When I went to go pick it back up with the tweezers the snake struck at my hand. He let go right away so no harm done.

Grimleo

Juvie Member
They're just hungry :) All you need is some gloves and long tongs if you want to avoid it completely, but I'm sure you already knew that =) Personally I don't mind if I get bit, as long as it's not by a huge 7 foot snake, lol

Sangheili

Hatchling Member
I've had my Ball Python for 12 years and I've never been bitten, I use really long tongs of course to feed him, but he gets fed in his cage. He is SO cuddly <3
I got bitten by my rat snake a lot, she wasn't very nice.

Floof

Juvie Member
I once had a 6 ft rat snake that thought everything was food. I didn't know about this the night I got her, and likewise wasn't taking precautions... So it should be no surprise that she latched on to my finger and tried to wrap my arm (and eat my finger--the only reason I finally got her off, five minutes later, was because she started adjusting her mouth to get to the tip of my finger so she could start swallowing). Talk about ouch! Though the worst part of it was it was my first bite, which made it feel 30x worse than it actually was. It probably didn't help, either, that I ran around the house screaming with this 3-4 lb snake dangling from my index finger... lol.

That was my first and worst bite. She never got me again after that, because I finally bought a snake hook and learned to catch her behind the head. (Doesn't mean she didn't try--she once bit herself trying to get me... Which was sad because she broke the skin and initiated another shed cycle, when the whole reason I was getting her out was to remove some stuck skin from her last shed...)

Since then, I've been tagged by corn snakes of all shapes and sizes, ranging from wee little 8 gram hatchlings to one very upset 400 gram female. Mostly fear or "leave me the hell alone" tags, though one or two were "SFEs"--Stupid Feeding Errors. The one time my '08 corn girl got me was because I had decided to forgo the feeding tongs for once... Likewise, she chose that feeding to miss the prey item and get my finger. Haha. Never been hit by a boid, though... And "Lucy" really was the only snake bigger than 400 grams that ever got me. I can only imagine how painful a bad Ball python bite can be... lol.

everhood13

Juvie Member
One of the teachers I work with has some sort of Python in her room. I'm really not into them. Any way, her python latched on to her hand once and it took 20 minutes and warm water to get it to let go. :shock: That story added one more notch to the "I don't want a snake" reason board. The number one reason is still that I would feel terrible feeding rats or mice to a snake since I have owned several over the last few years!

MorlasMom

One of our ball pythons Nago has actually bitten my husband twice. First time (we have very long tongs) was when my husband dropped the rat and went down with the tongs to pick it back up, got the side of his finger. Second time was when he went in to grab her about 10 mins after she ate, but she was still in feeding mood and struck right on his hand and held it for a bit til' she realized it was him, that time left a bunch of tiny little marks. Obviously though she wasn't doing it on purpose. She's a fantastic snake, they just get confused sometimes. Gloves would be good. I tell my husband the same thing, but he still doesn't wear them.

ReptiMama2

Hatchling Member
My ball python once bit my husband on the hand. He was hungry and I think my husband grabbed him the wrong way. For a while I used a glove while getting him out for feeding or taking him out of his feeding tank but I don't now. He's usually pretty mellow. I usually wear him around work, school teacher, and let the kids touch him and pet him. I really think my hubby grabbed him the wrong way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom