Yoshimi's story!!

I got my beardie, Yoshi, in September. This little lizard has been through it all. My aunt is a humane agent and she found Yoshi starved, in a filthy tiny tank alongside her brother in an abuse investigation. We weren't sure if either of them was going to make it because of how awful they looked. Yoshi's brother has jaundice from the lack of food they were given, they had to resort to eating their own bodily functions. Yoshi has only a few inches of her tail, her old owner cut it off. I met Yoshi and immediately fell in love with her (she and her brother were named Big and Lil Bubba when they were first rescued). I decided I wanted to adopt her because I knew she needed every ounce of love and care that anyone could give her, and I have a lot of free time. She had a hard time in her tank when I first got her, so I let her out as much as I could so she might get more comfortable. She isn't glass surfing as much as she used to, she's never bitten me, she almost rarely turns darker anymore, and I consider all of these things major progress. My beardie is the most charming little thing out there, and she has a massive presence despite having half of a tail. Today I took her out of her tank to hang out a little bit while I was reading a book and she waltzed on over to me and took a nap in the curve of my arm. I also decided I wanted to put something soft (blanket-y?) in her tank because she seems to like my blankets and sleep in them, any ideas on how to upgrade her tank?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I got my beardie, Yoshi, in September. This little lizard has been through it all. My aunt is a humane agent and she found Yoshi starved, in a filthy tiny tank alongside her brother in an abuse investigation. We weren't sure if either of them was going to make it because of how awful they looked. Yoshi's brother has jaundice from the lack of food they were given, they had to resort to eating their own bodily functions. Yoshi has only a few inches of her tail, her old owner cut it off. I met Yoshi and immediately fell in love with her (she and her brother were named Big and Lil Bubba when they were first rescued). I decided I wanted to adopt her because I knew she needed every ounce of love and care that anyone could give her, and I have a lot of free time. She had a hard time in her tank when I first got her, so I let her out as much as I could so she might get more comfortable. She isn't glass surfing as much as she used to, she's never bitten me, she almost rarely turns darker anymore, and I consider all of these things major progress. My beardie is the most charming little thing out there, and she has a massive presence despite having half of a tail. Today I took her out of her tank to hang out a little bit while I was reading a book and she waltzed on over to me and took a nap in the curve of my arm. I also decided I wanted to put something soft (blanket-y?) in her tank because she seems to like my blankets and sleep in them, any ideas on how to upgrade her tank?
How big a tank? What are you using for uvb and basking light? No coils please no colored bulbs please-- are you using a digital probe thermometer-to get surface basking temps? What happened to the male dragon?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
That is a wonderful story. We see so many tragedies here it's great to read a success story. Thank you for sharing her story. (Pics of her would be great 👍)

kaigr0hl

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Yoshimi/Yoshi/Bubba (she goes by many names)
How big a tank? What are you using for uvb and basking light? No coils please no colored bulbs please-- are you using a digital probe thermometer-to get surface basking temps? What happened to the male dragon?
The tank is a 40-gallon (she won't get much bigger than a baby and she seems happy in it so far, if she shows signs of discomfort I will get a new tank though). I use a regular 75w bulb.
They did not get along and they were very stressed out around each other, her brother is still with my aunt, and since he is very sick he is not being put up for adoption.

kaigr0hl

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Yoshimi/Yoshi/Bubba (she goes by many names)
That is a wonderful story. We see so many tragedies here it's great to read a success story. Thank you for sharing her story. (Pics of her would be great 👍)
Sure !! When I can I'll be sure to upload some pictures of her !! (I'm in school now but i'll figure it out when i get home)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The tank is a 40-gallon (she won't get much bigger than a baby and she seems happy in it so far, if she shows signs of discomfort I will get a new tank though). I use a regular 75w bulb.
They did not get along and they were very stressed out around each other, her brother is still with my aunt, and since he is very sick he is not being put up for adoption.
please get surface basking temps w / a digital probe thermometer-- 95-100 for an adult dragon --- what is the UVB your using? Brand and bulb they have certain placement and distance for the T 5's and T 8's --

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom