New behavior?

shemour

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Seymoure
Hello!

I rescued my girl, Seymour (we didn't know her gender until her first vet visit but the name works well with her face), a little over a year ago now with her estimated age being roughly 5. She has always been fairly aggressive, but not mean, she just lets you know who is boss meaning she likes to puff her beard, stretch her beard, and hiss but she has never bitten or been any more aggressive than that.
We moved about three months ago and she took the move well, her behavior was normal and she actually started to eat her greens without me having to entice her, she loves her salads now! But all of a sudden tonight I went to feed her and give her a little beard tickle and she started head bobbing on me. It wasn't aggressive, if anything very somber. I know head bobbing is fairly common but I have never ever seen her do this in my year and a half with her, is this something I should be concerned about? More so, is it something I should be concerned about her starting to do as an adult? It feels silly asking this but I just want to make sure she is okay. This is my first time owning a beardie, in the past I only had leopard geckos, so I just want to make sure she is okay!

Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello!

I rescued my girl, Seymour (we didn't know her gender until her first vet visit but the name works well with her face), a little over a year ago now with her estimated age being roughly 5. She has always been fairly aggressive, but not mean, she just lets you know who is boss meaning she likes to puff her beard, stretch her beard, and hiss but she has never bitten or been any more aggressive than that.
We moved about three months ago and she took the move well, her behavior was normal and she actually started to eat her greens without me having to entice her, she loves her salads now! But all of a sudden tonight I went to feed her and give her a little beard tickle and she started head bobbing on me. It wasn't aggressive, if anything very somber. I know head bobbing is fairly common but I have never ever seen her do this in my year and a half with her, is this something I should be concerned about? More so, is it something I should be concerned about her starting to do as an adult? It feels silly asking this but I just want to make sure she is okay. This is my first time owning a beardie, in the past I only had leopard geckos, so I just want to make sure she is okay!

Thanks!
Head bobbing is a mating ritual- shows dominance - has she ever layed eggs

shemour

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Seymoure
Your sure she is a she and not a he?
When I first got her I was told that the gender was unknown. In fact her name had been changed a couple of times with the previous owner because of this. First she was Liz and but then they changed it to Lizbert since she had not laid any eggs so they figured she was a he.
So when I first rescued her I named her Seymour thinking she was a he, but then took her to her first vet appointment and the doctor said "nope, he is a she".

I can always get another exotic vets opinion if needed.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
This is a pic of how to sex them. Be careful with the light not to burn her/him some lights get very hot, even the leds

Attachments

• s2OIALbl.jpg
    s2OIALbl.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
When I first got her I was told that the gender was unknown. In fact her name had been changed a couple of times with the previous owner because of this. First she was Liz and but then they changed it to Lizbert since she had not laid any eggs so they figured she was a he.
So when I first rescued her I named her Seymour thinking she was a he, but then took her to her first vet appointment and the doctor said "nope, he is a she".

I can always get another exotic vets opinion if needed.
Please post a pic of her vent towards camera on a flat surface w/ the tail in the air

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom