Beardies and height question......

Status
Not open for further replies.

maytes

Hatchling Member
Can a BD sense height? in holding him or letting him climb a sofa,it seems to me it can be dangerous-he could jump and hurt himself.Does he know not to jump?

mike120

Hatchling Member
They can seem fearless sometimes but im pretty sure they can. For example if im putting my dragon down and have my hand tilted slightly so she knows to jump off, she won't actually jump off untill its quite close to the ground. saying that though, she did jump off the sofa once. I was mortified! She landed on the floored a walked back to her tank unharmed.

If she's sitting on the arm of the sofa now, ill put a cushion or something on the floor just in case she jumps of so she wont get hurt from it.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Beardies have great vision... unfortunately, their depth perception is really bad. This is why they tend to run into things and jump from rather high distances. So I guess in answer to your question, no they do not know any better than to jump.

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
I have beardies who have jumped three feet horizontally when the spirit has moved them, and one of my first beardies was a little guy named Diver, as in Sky-Diver. i had to keep a close eye when I had him out, as he would try jumps from four and five foot heights. :twisted: He settled down as he approached two years old, but I got good real fast at knowing when he was thinking about a jump, after catching him mid-air a time or two. :roll:

MrsSmith

My beardie, Mr.Smith, jumped off my 3 story balcony last night. He's still alive, not hurt...
I wouldn't recommend letting your little guy doing that on a regular basis, but that sure gives you a basis on height limits.
These lizards have balls and resilience! Hellz ya

bss12090

Ha, wow!
I thought Paco jumping from my window (about 6 1/2') ridiculous, that must have given you a heart attack!

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
When we read about bearded dragons in general, how they state they will be seen on roads "perched on fences" (If I remember right they call them fence lizards sometimes). Now if they are seen perching on a fence, most fences are bout 3-4' tall, if you were to go up to one, they would jump off to get away. Granted they have some sort of foliage to help break their fall. I have seen Des jump down about 2 feet, every time he does you can tell he kind of flattens out or pancakes the fall, thus spreading his body weight evenly to prevent himself from getting hurt. Not saying he never would but, in his case to belly flop to the floor seems to be the best thing for him I guess. Sometimes he sits at the edge of the couch and contemplates jumping for a minute then decides to edge down some then jump, funny when he does that too. IDK just thinking out loud like usual. LOL :D

MrsSmith

Awe man I thought I'd see him in a million pieces at the bottom. He didn't even have a scratch and was waiting calmly in a juniper bush while I was freaking right out. I think you're right ^
they flatten their bodies out like crazy and get some decent airtime. These guys are incredible

Monster was sitting on my shoulder recently and attempted to jump off me onto the bar in the kitchen {which is higher by about a foot than the counter itself}. I moved as he was doing it and landed on all fours...I would the drop was about 3.5-4 feet :( I freaked out, but he is totally fine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom