Do I have to teach Rocky how to climb?

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Okay I am convinced that he is a frog! Rocky will jump on and off of objects but he will not climb up anything. He's one now (for a whole few days right LOL) and I'm not trying to make him do anything I promise, lol
Rocky wanted to climb up to the hammock but he stood beside it and looked for me to pick him up. This is not a new object to him. He will jump off the objects around it. Since this is no longer a cloth object, I figured that he could also gain stimulation by climbing up to it but he won't.
I'm just curious.
It may come in time but it's something that I noticed. As far as me...he grabs and holds on-he doesn't climb on me. Especially not like that cool iguana that climbs his owner's leg since a baby. He'll jump over my leg and crawl over me but no- he won't just pull up on anything. Hmmmm.
(or I miss it)

I know, I know- I will be back complaining that he climbs on everything.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
It is kindda weird he don't climb, they are semiaboreal. My guys climb everything.
Maybe try showing him treats and place them so he has to climb to get them?

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
It is kindda weird he don't climb, they are semiaboreal. My guys climb everything.
Maybe try showing him treats and place them so he has to climb to get them?
You know I think he wants me to pick him up because I remember him pulling himself to his pillow one time. All his limbs function well. I really think that he doesnt want to.... I am going to keep my eye on this. So this isn't an age thing...huh?!

BTW- I just told him what you said and he closed his eye on me:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Lmao "I'm not climbing for treats, I'll just give mommy that look ........"

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
WELL my mother just told me that I am the problem. She asked why would Rocky climb if she knows that I would pick him up?! Well when he gets out of his 60 month nap, I am going to put him to the test and see if he will climb:ROFLMAO:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Your going to create a monster lol. I wish Zen would forget how to climb! (Not really but a few days of him forgetting would be nice lmao)

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
We are home and Rocky is up- probably only for a day or so. But I'll take it. He's too funny. He noticed the huge hide I added to his enclosure. He stuck his head straight up out of his current hide and has a stare down. I began talking to him, gave him a hug and told him to "go get it." He walked over to it slowly (he's so brave)- licked it then walked over it- stood on top.
Rocky then JUMPED to the basking spot where he remains. I have a jumper, that's simply it, lol he's a jumper!
I love how he's curious and not afraid! He didn't turn black....he is definitely a "starer" and loves to freeze in place. My poor baby has no chance in survival unless he camouflages himself under a pile of leaves.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Don't let his calm demeanor fool ya, he can run upwards of 10 m.p.h. if he wants to. Zen at over 1000 grams can get across the living room before i can catch him, Rocky is likely even faster lol.
Is he graceful when he jumps? Mine all are (in their own minds lmao 🤣 😂) Actually mine are all clumsy as can be except Sinatra.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Yes he is graceful unless he's being sneaky LOL
Rocky's small leaps are graceful as he's leaping small spaces but those huge jump downs ....they are enough to stop my heart!

I believe the speed. Rocky takes the longest time to move. He observes everything around him for like 2 minutes which feels like forever then he darts off. I don't have to worry about that now because guess what, he's down for the count.

The beardie fairy left him a new hide and he is so excited!!!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I love the way they run it looks so cartoonish lol

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
So no one believes me about Rocky- they created this little mountain for Rocky to climb and he JUMPED his way up to the top! It was hilarious! Rocky goes around sides, makes people nervous like he is going to fall (he doesnt) but he simply wont climb. I tried to teach him to climb a stair (I know, I know)- he failed.

It's funny because these are the same people who saw Rocky bask all day so they were shocked to see him walk at all. Then they cringed thinking he would fall or hold their breath at other movements, I was like, he's an animal, let him be! A far cry than my earlier statements.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
He thinks he don't need to climb, it's his HooMans job to lift him up to where he wants to be lol 🤪

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom