Beardie wont bask for long

glizzysmom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Glizzy
Hi!

About 3 weeks ago i adopted what i now know to be about a 6-8 month old beardie (thought he was an adult but some awesome members helped me age him), his name is glizzy! Our original set up which was given to us at a reptile only pet store was a Powersun Heat plus UVB. It wasn't getting our 50 gal tank nearly warm enough and after lots of research we switched over to a Zilla 150w Bright White Basking lamp in a reflector dome and Reptisun T8 10.0 bulb for uvb, we've been intermittently using a CHE to bump it up a few degrees if needed because its been so cold and rainy where we are. Another user told us to put our UVB inside the tank yesterday which we have since done by using command hooks. We have a probe thermometer on the hot side and another thermometer on the cool side and i measure temp gradients with a temp gun. The probe thermometer and temp gun read nearly identical when i monitor his basking spot. Basking spot is 107.2 Hot Side is 95.9 Middle is 85.2 and Cool side is 80.2 but lemme tell you this guy wont bask :( and even if he does its usually because i help him onto his basking spot, he's usually on the cool side or stays somewhere within the middle of his tank. I would love any advice because we have been working extremely hard to get those temps correct and have spent so much money switching out lights. Maybe he just doesn't like his basking spot? (its a hammock with a little blanket that has my scent on top of the hammock) also his lights on a set timer and run from 7am to 7pm. Photos attached. he's also seemed more stressed out lately, haven't really seen him with stress marks before but within the last week i notice them all the time. It honestly seemed to start when the weather got ****ty but maybe he's about to shed again?

Attachments

• IMG_7152.jpg
    IMG_7152.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_7154.jpg
    IMG_7154.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7146.jpg
    IMG_7146.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 61

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi!

About 3 weeks ago i adopted what i now know to be about a 6-8 month old beardie (thought he was an adult but some awesome members helped me age him), his name is glizzy! Our original set up which was given to us at a reptile only pet store was a Powersun Heat plus UVB. It wasn't getting our 50 gal tank nearly warm enough and after lots of research we switched over to a Zilla 150w Bright White Basking lamp in a reflector dome and Reptisun T8 10.0 bulb for uvb, we've been intermittently using a CHE to bump it up a few degrees if needed because its been so cold and rainy where we are. Another user told us to put our UVB inside the tank yesterday which we have since done by using command hooks. We have a probe thermometer on the hot side and another thermometer on the cool side and i measure temp gradients with a temp gun. The probe thermometer and temp gun read nearly identical when i monitor his basking spot. Basking spot is 107.2 Hot Side is 95.9 Middle is 85.2 and Cool side is 80.2 but lemme tell you this guy wont bask :( and even if he does its usually because i help him onto his basking spot, he's usually on the cool side or stays somewhere within the middle of his tank. I would love any advice because we have been working extremely hard to get those temps correct and have spent so much money switching out lights. Maybe he just doesn't like his basking spot? (its a hammock with a little blanket that has my scent on top of the hammock) also his lights on a set timer and run from 7am to 7pm. Photos attached. he's also seemed more stressed out lately, haven't really seen him with stress marks before but within the last week i notice them all the time. It honestly seemed to start when the weather got ****ty but maybe he's about to shed again?
Please get a piece of basking decor directly under the uvb 6-8 inches- please get a digital probe thermometer- the one your using does not have a probe your getting ambient temps-- please get a surface basking temp of 95-100- then see what he does

glizzysmom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Glizzy
Please get a piece of basking decor directly under the uvb 6-8 inches- please get a digital probe thermometer- the one your using does not have a probe your getting ambient temps-- please get a surface basking temp of 95-100- then see what he does
I guess im a little confused here as the thermometer attached to the inside of the tank does have a probe on it, i've looked up digital probe thermometers and mine definitley has a probe. I also know that temp guns are very commonly used by most people who keep bearded dragons to check temps on a basking spot. So im not getting ambient temps at least not with the temp gun. The basking spot is 107. His hammock is approx 8 inches from the basking bulb and uvb, not sure how you're getting measurements from my photos.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I guess im a little confused here as the thermometer attached to the inside of the tank does have a probe on it, i've looked up digital probe thermometers and mine definitley has a probe. I also know that temp guns are very commonly used by most people who keep bearded dragons to check temps on a basking spot. So im not getting ambient temps at least not with the temp gun. The basking spot is 107. His hammock is approx 8 inches from the basking bulb and uvb, not sure how you're getting measurements from my photos.
Ok sorry so try lowering the surface basking temps to 95-100 maybe lower the hammock and see what you get for temps

glizzysmom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Glizzy
Ok sorry so try lowering the surface basking temps to 95-100 maybe lower the hammock and see what you get for temps
okay, i'll try to lower... do you think maybe he just doesnt like the basking spot? when we first got him he would crawl onto the branch all the time, but since putting the hammock in to try and get him within the 8 inches he just stays away

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
okay, i'll try to lower... do you think maybe he just doesnt like the basking spot? when we first got him he would crawl onto the branch all the time, but since putting the hammock in to try and get him within the 8 inches he just stays away
Quite possible -- try the branch again and see what he does - its trial and error w/ a lot of things

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
It could be the blanket on the hammock. If he feels like its going to slide off and cause him to fall he may not try to get up there. I've noticed that with one of mine. I use terrycloth towels to make them beds, i put Zen up on one of his basking spots, if i leave the towels in there he won't use that spot at all, if i take them out he uses it occasionally, just a thought.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom