Beardie on Chlor Palm, loss of appetite, problems breathing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranvier

Original Poster
His appetite still sucks, wouldn't eat anything today. Mixed his Avi booster with some squash baby food in the syringe and got that in him... hopefully he'll eat tomorrow :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Keep trying to get foods & fluids into him. I hope that he will pick up for you soon. Definitely do not give up on him, you can do it!
Does he appear more alert & is he basking more now?

Tracie

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
It will take some time the meds are really harsh and will take some time to leave his system.Do you have him on a probiotic to help with his gut flora?You could use acidopilliz,benebac,bee pollen or SOY yogurt(no dairy).

Ranvier

Original Poster
we will try and get him a probiotic tomorrow, hopefully that will help get him back to eating on his own.

I had assumed it was probably still from the meds, how long can he go without eating until it becomes life threatening?

He is basking, and always looks at you when you come into the room. Not moving around as much as I would like. Still definitely seems under the weather. We would never give up on the little guy, we love him to bits. Just disheartening to not be able to make him feel better, at least not right away.

We are so happy we got him and can give him another chance at a healthy and happy life, just been quite the fight so far!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I dont want to give a time frame because all beardie are different based on the fat stores they have but in the meantime start him on a babyfood slurry @.05ml for every 50 grams of weight.You can do chicken mixed with a veggie or fruit thinned with a little water or pedialyte and a pinch if calcium.Warm it in the microwave to get the chill out and see if he will take it willingly off a spoon or his nose and if not you can use a plastic needless syringe to force feed.Just slide it into the side of his mouth until he opens up then tap it in but once its in dont remove until your done feeding or he will clamp his jaw shut and it will be hard to get it in.Start with something sweet like sugar free applesauce/babyfood or squash and he should eat it on his own once he gets a few licks of it.

Ranvier

Original Poster
Here's an update...

Still not eating/drinking, though he felt ambitious this morning and tried to get a blueberry, missed and got some dandelion green, that's about all on his own though.

We mixed some chicken/squash baby food with calcium powder and a bit of water (haven't got the probiotic for him) and with his avi booster and he got that with the needless syringe (Not fun!)

He's definitely not into eating baby food on his own, which sucks for us! I'm hoping after a few more days of being free of that horrible medicine he'll start eating again.

I did give him a bath today though, since he's not drinking and looking dehydrated, which he tolerated. No poo today though, probably since he hasn't been eating anything.

Getting stressful, poor little guy. Just want him to pull through this!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Oh I am sorry there hasnt been any progress.Yes be sure right now to bathe him daily for at least 20 minutes its very important to keep him hydrated.I would start forcing the babyfood and some fluids as well you want to clear out his system.I also suggest if he doesnt start to show some progress soon you give the new vet a call and let them now whats going on.

Ranvier

Original Poster
Hopefully he starts feeling better soon, yeah we will be doing that if he doesn't start improving soon =(

Ranvier

Original Poster
Update.

This morning Todd was up and moving around a lot, seems pretty active. He ate a couple blueberries again, and possibly some dandelion greens, though I'm not sure for sure.

Still won't go for any baby food or bugs, so he's still being force fed, right now we've been doing it once around midday for a little bit and once in the evening with his avi booster etc, still bathing him daily as well.

He does seem to be perking up a bit more (especially in his viv, before he was pretty quiet in there and would mainly perk up when he was out)

No poop in two days though, not much in his tummy to come out though =(

Hopefully every day he feels a little more ambitious and we can start getting him eating again!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
It sounds like he is doing better.It takes time.Did you get the probiotic for him yet?That could really help even things out a little quicker.

Ranvier

Original Poster
We found some bee pollen, but the texture was strange and the expiry quite near, going to try for the soy yogurt I think tomorrow. Any suggestions on what kind? He's just so picky, and though we are force feeding, I would rather it be as painless as possible.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Mine are all big fans of blueberry stoneyfield farms soy yogurt.I can understand the pee pollen issue but I bet he will love the yogurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom