Beardie on Chlor Palm, loss of appetite, problems breathing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranvier

Original Poster
Thank you for the advice, I will try and up the temp and see how he reacts with it. That vet was awful, I still cringe when I think of our experience with her. That's terrible that it can cause liver failure in dogs, he's a LOT smaller, I can't even imagine what it has been doing to his little body after being on it for a week :(

Even when we have had to give him the medicine we have never had to go to such extremes as she did to get him to open him, and he has never been aggressive since we have had him, so she really upset him (though he will blackbeard if he wants out and we are ignoring him, or if he sees chunks ahoy cookies, he hates the look of the container.)

We find it nearly impossible to even get the temp to 70 even at night, the lowest I have seen it is 72, so that part shouldn't be a problem at least.

I'm glad you think he's looking better, I'm happy we got him away from his previous owner, hopefully we can turn this around and he'll live a happy, pampered life with us.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
He is definately looking better and I am very glad you have found him because its clear you are going to do right by him so for all us beardie enthusiasts I want to thank you for that.

I cant imagine why any vet would dose this to reptiles either but they have been known to dose meds that do more harm then the disease so its great that you caught it and didnt just blindly follow the advice.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That are great pictures of Todd. :D He looks much better now, & is getting a beardie belly, too!
I am happy that he seems to be feeling better today. Remember, reptiles do have a slower metabolism, so it will take several days for all of that Chlor Palm to be out of his system. So try to increase his oral fluids for a week or so to help him out, & hopefully he will excrete it all soon.
Keep us posted. Thanks for posting the pictures for us.

Tracie

Ranvier

Original Poster
He ate 8 superworms today, 2 wax worms, and a blueberry. So at least he's trying, that's a whole lot better than his 1 worm yesterday. Still a little bubbly at the mouth, but not near as bad.

Going to try the baby food in the morning with his salad, see if he'll eat that.

We couldn't find a dropper at the store today, but will try and get a hold of one tomorrow so we can try and get him drinking that way... don't really want to use the syringe to drip it on him, since he knows that was for the terrible medicine.

I've tried wiggling my finger in the water, dripping it on his nose and he basically ignores me, or looks at me like I'm being stupid. Anything else I can try to get him to drink? Especially since he isn't really eating his salads right now.

TazzysMamma

Sub-Adult Member
Im so glad to hear he's doing so much better today! He's sure a cutie pie! I will continue to keep him in my prayers!!!! Please keep us informed on how he's doing!!!

HUGS!!!!

Sandi

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Thats is an improvement.One quick note make sure the dropper you get is plastic not glass.Also you could just go to the pharmacy and get a needless plastic syringe.

Ranvier

Original Poster
Thank you all for all of your support through this, it has made us feel a little bit better.

We will see what we can find tomorrow for a water dropper type thing.

Ranvier

Original Poster
He isn't really into eating today, he had a couple of blueberries in his salad this morning and he ate those.

He did drink quite a bit of water before we offered him his worms though, so I'm thinking that probably filled up his belly first. We didn't even need the dropper, just used a clear plastic container full of water and wiggled our fingers underneath to get his attention, once he started drinking he wouldn't stop for quite a while, so that's very good at least.

Going to try and offer him some worms in about a half an hour and see if he'll eat anything.

He was getting up to his old antics this morning, bobbing his head at everything in his viv and the cats. So that's probably a good sign.

He is still a little bit gaspy, but the vet is tomorrow at least!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great he is doing so much better now!
I am happy to hear that he is eating & is much more active too. Very good news! That drug did not do well with him. If he gets on another antibiotic, Baytril would be the better choice for a respiratory infection.
That is a good sign that he was really drinking alot of water too, he must have needed it.
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Ranvier

Original Poster
We just got back from the vet, a proper specializing in reptiles vet, who handled Todd amazingly.

She says that she cannot hear any crackling in his lungs, and that they sounded reasonably clear. (With the exception of his wheeze) His saliva looks good, no bubbles. She said it could be some sort of chronic lung problem, from his previous neglect. She said he was probably having an issue on the chlor palm, since he had to have a massive dose of it and that drug is known to give them problems with their appetites.

She let us know that there were two different directions to proceed, either put him on another anti biotic and try to fight this aggressively, or give him Avi booster to help get his immune system up and going again. She also recommended we do some blood work just to find out exactly where he is at after his last owner, and a stool sample to check for parasites.

She also let us know he is definitely a boy, and at least 2 years (though obviously stunted since he is only about 14 inches)

So we decided to let him have a break from the aggressive treatment, and see if he starts getting better with the immune booster, and hopefully get his appetite back.

So yay, pain free vet visit, where my little guy didn't cry out or try to attack, only got compliments on his temperament!

TazzysMamma

Sub-Adult Member
WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! What a wonderful update!!!!!! Im SOOOO SOOOOOOO happy!!!!!!!!

HUGS to you AND your little guy!!!!!!

Sandi

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Well thats good news that is lungs were clear.I think you were right not to go with the meds.The poor guy has been through alot in his short life but at least he has a great home with you now. :D

dreshany

Hatchling Member
Hey,
glad your beardie is doing better. Just an FYI, the Avi booster is an awesome way to go. I had my beardie on it once when she was doing poorly, and it fixed her right up. Give them the support and their own bodies can do miraculous things. Best of luck!

Ranvier

Original Poster
Yeah I definitely thought it was a good idea to not push him with anti biotics right away, he turned down dinner tonight, but after we had put him back in he was already trying to come out again, so we brought him out and put him in this little area that's all padded (kid play room/work out type mats on the floor and corralled off) and he ran around and climbed. He's definitely feeling better, he's been a nice golden color tonight, so I'm happy =)

Dreshany, I'm so happy to know that you had a good experience with the Avi booster! Hopefully it does the trick for our little guy too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom