Beardie on Chlor Palm, loss of appetite, problems breathing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranvier

We have recently got a 1 and a half year old - two year old bearded dragon.

His previous owner seems to have neglected him and his care. He was previously on sand, had no water dish, improper heating (max temp was about 80 F in the basking area)

We have since replaced the UVB light to a 10.0, got him a better heat lamp (basking temps are now from 95-100, and a cool zone for him to get away from the heat if he would like), he is now on repti-carpet in a 50 gallon tank, has a water dish, and we mist him and give him baths.

We had noticed shortly after getting him that he was having problems breathing, gasping, occasionally coughing. We booked him a vet appt (our clinic advised that they had a exotics vet who could see him, though he was seen by the vet who saw our cat... not a problem if she deals with all animals) She seemed unusually rough with him. She had quite a hard time getting his mouth open, at one point she pushed his eyes down (I have never seen a vet try this tactic) and then ended up pinching his chin to pry it open, basically he had enough of this treatment and tried to bite her (after making a heartbreaking painful sound) and she got into his mouth. She advised that he is underweight for his age (though he has gained quite a bit in the short while we've had him... we make sure he has a full selection of greens and vegetables every day, with occasional fruit. He will not even acknowledge his crickets at all, so we have switched him to superworms which he normally loves) and had some bowing in his hind legs due to MBD. He had wheezing in his chest and lungs, and so she put him on Chlor Palm for that (though she also advised that it could be pre-existing damage to his lungs from an untreated respiratory infection, which could be permanent).

Since being on the Chlor Palm it seems as though his symptoms are getting much worse, especially for the hours after he has gotten it. He is mouth breathing, gasping, coughing, he now has thick saliva that bubbles out the side of his mouth (which happens occasionally during the day also now) He has went from eating some salad (he's pretty picky) to pretty much none since the vet visit, and from about 10 superworms a day to 5-8... or today only one.

For the most part he is fairly active, though lately he seems almost listless.

Basically, the vet said our husbandship sounds good... we love the little guy a lot and it's breaking out hearts to see him like this... so I would like to have some other opinions, has anyone else had Chlor Palm prescribed? Should we try and get him into another vet? Is there anything I can try to help him get through this? ( I have tried turning up the temps a bit after reading quite a few posts about this helping with respiratory issues, but if I do he will just stay on the other side of his tank, probably since he had almost no heat for so long... )

Thanks.

TazzysMamma

Sub-Adult Member
Oh wow, poor lil guy! I feel just awful for him! I'll PM Tracie for you and see if she can help. She's one of our reptile experts.

HUGS!!!!

Sandi

TazzysMamma

Sub-Adult Member
I PM'd her, hopefully she'll be on here soon. I do know that misting can cause respiratory problems, but that's the extent of my knowledge about that. I wish there were more I could to help.

HUGS

Sandi

Ranvier

Original Poster
Yeah, we were holding off on the misting before we saw the vet, but she had told us with the meds she was giving him that if he was dehydrated it could really hurt his organs, so she give him an injection to make sure he was fully hydrated and recommended that we mist or bath him daily.

TazzysMamma

Sub-Adult Member
I would definitely stop the misting, and just bathe him. You dont want to raise the humidity in his viv. That could make his condition worse.

HUGS

Sandi

Ranvier

Original Poster
Yeah probably a good idea, he's not very comfortable being bathed for the most part though, he tends to panic. I'm pretty sure his previous owner had never bathed him.

From my previous reptile experience, I definitely agree with your point on it. Another reason I doubt my vet is qualified, when I asked her what was better for hydrating him (since he will not drink from the bowl or having water dripped on his nose) she said it didn't matter, as long as we were doing it.

TazzysMamma

Sub-Adult Member
It just amazes me that she would tell you to mist him when he's already got respiratory problems. Like I said, Im absolutely no expert, but after reading several of Tracie's posts, Ive learned that misting your beardie is a NO NO and often RESULTS in respiratory issues such as infection or pneumonia etc...

TazzysMamma

Sub-Adult Member
Well, Ive seen reference to it being used on other animals, but cant find any more specific info on the net... so maybe it's ok... gosh I wish I knew!

Ranvier

Original Poster
We weren't so sure either, the first thing we did when we got home was google it. Me as well, especially since it smells almost vanilla like, which is not his sort of thing at all... It's super thick too, which definitely doesn't help his breathing. It's just miserable when he seems worse than he was before, when she was the one we trusted to fix him up and make him feel better.

I have no idea why she would tell us to mist/bathe him indiscriminately either, we're just so worried about losing him when we have only just got him that we were ready to try whatever it took.

Just sad since it seemed like the day or so before our appointment he was feeling better and on the mend. Now it's a pretty steep downward spiral.

TazzysMamma

Sub-Adult Member
I feel so bad he's having so much trouble. I wish I knew what else to say, I went ahead and PM'd another moderator who might be able to help. I wish I knew what else to do.

Ranvier

Original Poster
Thanks, that's pretty much how we are feeling. He's sleeping fairly soundly now at least, so that's one thing I don't have to worry as much about.

TazzysMamma

Sub-Adult Member
I wonder - has he poo'd recently? Could he also be impacted from the sand he was on? When was the last bath he got? Can you give him a long warm bath tonight?

You could also try feeding him pumpkin (baby food) and butternut squash (also baby food), also baby food chicken or turkey and unsweetened applesauce. If he is impacted, it might be causing some of his problems.

I cant believe how rough your vet was with him.... seems awful cruel to me... Id have had trouble not smacking her! LOL

HUGS

Sandi

Ranvier

Original Poster
He poops every day, nothing runny or very smelly.

He had a bath yesterday, not today though, he was having too rough of a time, I didn't want to stress him about more.

His belly is nice and soft, no impaction, the vet "checked" that too, but since he was pooping regularly, we believed her on that one.

Yeah, I've never seen anyone be like that with such a little fragile baby. My boyfriend and I were both quite upset, and it did come close a few times, especially when she made him cry out. He was fine before she did that, curious, checking everything out, putting himself on the scale. Broke my heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom