Beardie hideing in corner under hammock on favorite rock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
My beardie balthazar who I've had for a few months now and is probably abou7 -8 months old has recently started to go to the corner of his tank under the hammock on a larger rock for long periods of time....he was never afraid of me nor has he ever puffed up or turned black.....ever! He still let's me scoop em up and when I feed em he comes running.... and we haven't done anything new with his lighting or his tank except add a live watercress near his water dish he is currently in a 36x24x18 with repticarpet.when we take him out he's fine when sitting on me but he runs when he gets the chance.....is he afraid of me or is it too hot Nd he's in the shade ( mind you his Temps have been the same forever and he was always fine before) or could he be sick.....or is this simply his favorite rock(it's a heat rock that's turned off with t-shirt fabric wrapped around it)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello,
My beardie balthazar who I've had for a few months now and is probably abou7 -8 months old has recently started to go to the corner of his tank under the hammock on a larger rock for long periods of time....he was never afraid of me nor has he ever puffed up or turned black.....ever! He still let's me scoop em up and when I feed em he comes running.... and we haven't done anything new with his lighting or his tank except add a live watercress near his water dish he is currently in a 36x24x18 with repticarpet.when we take him out he's fine when sitting on me but he runs when he gets the chance.....is he afraid of me or is it too hot Nd he's in the shade ( mind you his Temps have been the same forever and he was always fine before) or could he be sick.....or is this simply his favorite rock(it's a heat rock that's turned off with t-shirt fabric wrapped around it)
Please take the heat rock out --- they are dangerous if they malfunction he could get burned -- your basking temps and UVB are the most important things in the tank- he should be basking most of the day and w/ him hiding under the rock something is off - please tell us what your using for a UVB NO coils please and basking temps should be surface temps taken w/a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons they are inaccurate temps should be 95-100

zackcoghlin1

Original Poster
I clearly stated the heat rock is off I read they were bad so I cut off the cord and he just likes the rock he is sitting on ....I have a reptisun t8 and a powersun 100w his basking spot is 102 hot side is 94 and cool side 83.....and he's not under a rock he's under his hammock....I woke today to see he is shedding ....that's probably it right?......I am also trying to find a good vet for him in LA any reccomendations?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I clearly stated the heat rock is off I read they were bad so I cut off the cord and he just likes the rock he is sitting on ....I have a reptisun t8 and a powersun 100w his basking spot is 102 hot side is 94 and cool side 83.....and he's not under a rock he's under his hammock....I woke today to see he is shedding ....that's probably it right?......I am also trying to find a good vet for him in LA any reccomendations?
Ok T 8 should be inside the tank No clear plastic cover over the fixture if there is one bulb should not be over 6 months old and the basking decor piece should be directly underneath approx 6-8 inches
www.arav.org

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
Hi Zack

Your temperatures aren't too bad to be honest but personally for me I keep the ambients a few degrees lower than yours.

As far as his hiding goes that probably is down to the fact he was coming into shed. My youngster this time around had a 24 hour period where she spent a lot more time in her burrow than she normally does. The shed before that one she happily spent the whole time on full view with no hiding. Eating and mobility were pretty consistant in the last two sheds.

Just be aware that they can change behaviours from one shed to the next and just because your dragon has done it this time won't necessarily mean he will do it next time. You may see a totally different pattern of behaviour.

Once he's finished shedding just keep an eye on him because he should go back to his normal behaviours once the shed is finished. If he doesn't then obviously other reasons need to be looked for but I'm fairly certain his odd behaviour was probably down to his imminent shed.

Kinato

Hello,
Our new girl is 1yr old. Born Feb last year. We got her at 10 months. And she was the size of a 6 week old. Her clutch was put into brumation. They were fed on pellets and not handled. I fed her as much as she would eat and offered to her as many times as possible. She grew before our eyes. She loves bugs as they move. And she loves hers greens. She tries to eat everything that's green. So we pick her marshmallow weed from our back yard. Grated zucchini. She smashed her very first dandelion. I thought she was a dandy girl for sure but no. I've offer them to her all the time when they are in season. But she's never tried another. Oh. Your running problem is nothing to worry about. Every time I offered Midgie food I took her out of her cage. When she was out I would put her on my chest towards my shoulders. And gently hold her over her back. I'd change from holding gently to letting her go. So every now and then I'd gently stroke her down her spine. It's smooth. (The edges of their belly can be very ticklish so She had always been flighty not wanting to be touched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bre2236
Top Bottom