Bearded Dragon Narrative Ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd watch as they roam around and explore. Try to interpret what they might be thinking. Keep in mind they all have different personalities and run with that a bit. Once you have a personality and "voice" established it's easier to narrate their thoughts from their perspective. They could be shy/quiet, hyperactive and off the wall, grumpy and sarcastic, etc.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
What kind of book? I'm a published author (decidedly non-famous!), but might still be able to guide you a bit. My first thought is that a kids book would be the best entry point if you want a beardie as a main character as they're cute & lovable, and do things kids would find entertaining. If that's not your bag, you could write one in as a companion animal.

The concept of a 'familiar', a creature companion that enhances the powers of a magician, is known in the fantasy genre (my book's genre), so that's an avenue. I think in order to make a beardie the central focus of a book otherwise, you'd need to give them more human-like attributes. That is do-able but not necessarily easy because too much & people would no longer be able to relate to them as beardies, and too little & your story arc is limited to their behaviors and traits for the most part.

A young adult novel about a person's struggles and their bond with their beardie (and how that has affected them) could be either fiction or non-fiction depending on your personal experiences, too. You might tease these & other ideas out in a short story to start, to see if whatever you choose has enough 'legs' for something longer. I found a few of my early ideas wouldn't work over the length of a novel, and so kept bits from those efforts in what ended up being the finished product. Hope this gets you on your way!

HerpGirl

Hatchling Member
I'm planning on doing this same thing. I plan on writing for the perspective of Samantha :) . I think CooperDragon's idea is the best!

Kaelwizard

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes, I agree. I like that kind of topic (familiars- I read a series called The Familiars). I think the main character would be a young magician who has a beardie as a familiar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom