Bearded dragon health issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I am so sorry that your baby is going through this, but kudos to both you and your brother for taking such a proactive attitude in helping him in every way.

If I had read this correctly, you're using a Zilla Slimline UV fixture/bulb? If so, please remove it from the enclosure and THROW IT IN THE TRASH! No matter what strength the bulb is, the slimline fixtures are notorious for causing eye issues such as photokeratoconjunctivitis (snow blindness, "welder's eye") (Source: Ultraviolet Light in the Vivarium).

My oldest had a Zilla Slimline for the first month (while I was saving up for a full size fixture and bulb) (used without the plastic cover over the bulb) and he started to close his eyes all the time, didn't want to eat, and hardly moved in his viv, but the worst was his inability to catch crickets (always 1 step behind and missed). His eyelids also started to get this grayish tint (only visible when he closed them). As soon as I realized what was going on, I immediately turned off the light and within a week, his eyes were opened, had more energy to move around, and was able to catch crickets again.
I was lucky that he improved, only because I noticed the change in his behavior and also researched (here) about the symptoms and causes.

I hope you'll be able to save your baby's good eye. Please keep us updated on his progress.
Big hugs to you, your brother, and the beardie.

sparten57

Original Poster
Sorry for not getting back to you guys but my computer is having problems with its router >_< Anyways the current lighting that he has is the repti glo 10.0 uvb. He does have a heat lamp (It's the one in the top left of the picture showing the whole enclosure) and the heat for his basking area in the 90's right now and then the other side of the cage in probably around the 80's but I just moved the thermonitor over there so it's gonna take a little while to update. He seems to be doing the same right now but sense we just changed the stuff I doubt he'll react right away. He just drank some water and is just sitting there now

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
The ReptiGlo 10.0 is also dangerous to their sensitive eyes. The 8.0 is safer if all you can get is ReptiGlo; otherwise, invest in a ReptiSun 10.0.

MissT

BD.org Addict
And please change the heat lamp to a bright white light :D The one you are using is fine if you need additional night time heat but its not suitable for day time use. It will also help to protect his eyes from the uv if you are using a white light.

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
Also, since he is eating applesauce, you should get chicken or turkey baby food, it is very cheap. Get phase one, only chicken and stock or turkey and stock. He needs the protein from that. You could get some collard greens and blend them up and add to the baby food, it has some calcium in it and will help if you take him out in the sun for at least an hour a day for the calcium to be absorbed.

Can you take him outside every day? What are the temps where you are?

Sherri

sparten57

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions guys (And girls). I suppose we could take him outside though we don't exactly have a yard so I would have to do it in front of a bunch of other people haha. For the food we're not feeding him apple sauce anymore now that we got him that repti aid stuff so we're gonna be feeding him that until it runs out, then probably get some of the baby food that you guys suggested. And we'll be seeing about changing the lighting and the heating tomorrow but what makes the current heat lamp not good for using during the day? It's the only thing we have to heat him right now and during the day the temp is about 80 degrees so he needs the heat lamp for both the day and night until we get another one.

Just so you all know starting Monday I'm gonna be gone till Friday. I'm doing a local mission trip with my church and won't have electronic access during the whole time. I'll be updating once I get back of course though! We'll also be calling the vet tomorrow so I'll update about that before I leave Monday morning.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
sparten57":1wcxfi1i said:
Thanks for the suggestions guys (And girls). I suppose we could take him outside though we don't exactly have a yard so I would have to do it in front of a bunch of other people haha. For the food we're not feeding him apple sauce anymore now that we got him that repti aid stuff so we're gonna be feeding him that until it runs out, then probably get some of the baby food that you guys suggested. And we'll be seeing about changing the lighting and the heating tomorrow but what makes the current heat lamp not good for using during the day? It's the only thing we have to heat him right now and during the day the temp is about 80 degrees so he needs the heat lamp for both the day and night until we get another one.

Just so you all know starting Monday I'm gonna be gone till Friday. I'm doing a local mission trip with my church and won't have electronic access during the whole time. I'll be updating once I get back of course though! We'll also be calling the vet tomorrow so I'll update about that before I leave Monday morning.

The deal with the current heat lamp is that it does not produce light. You want the enclosure to be well lit. :wink:

sparten57

Original Poster
Well as I said we're a little tight on money so it might have to wait a little while.. In the mean time would turning the light on in his room work? I don't think it'll matter though until he starts actually opening his eye again

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
It will matter. They have a sensor in the top of their head that tells them if there is light or not. Without light he won't even really try to eat or bask or anything because he thinks its night time. Even blind beardies have this sensory ability and can adjust to new cages using it to tell where it should be in order to bask. I am concerned about who is taking care of this beardie while the poster is away? I hope the brother who works is doing what he can when he is hom :cry:

sparten57

Original Poster
Well Draco is certainly looking quite a bit better than when I left! My brother is at work right now but while I was gone he said he was feeding him every day (And it was being eaten, though it was still from the syringe). His back is a lot more colored now rather than having that white stuff (Though he could have been shedding so I'll have to ask tonight). I'll post back again tonight

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
Sounds like you are doing pretty good. when you post again let us know of any and all changes made in his cage and schedule. It will help us to keep helping you :)

sparten57

Original Poster
Sorry, busy day. So far we haven't really changed anything except his eating schedule to every day. He's moving around more often now and hasn't flipped himself over again. Still hasn't opened his eye and we haven't had the money to schedule a vet trip but for now he seems to be doing alright. I'm swamped though so it's off to bed for me. I'll find some time to update tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom