Bearded dragon health issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparten57

Original Poster
Not yet. Just a normal household bulb like the ones that go on the ceiling? Could that really heat him up enough? And also what about just keeping the light on during the day and then off at the night?

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
When its really warm in the room Mojo is is I switch her to a 40 watt or 60 watt white household bulb. These easily keep her at the right temps if the house is warm. Just have to try different wattages until you find the one that works for you. Just turning the room's light on won't give enough light. To a beardie that is like being held at twilight forever. They need it bright.

sparten57

Original Poster
I do actually have an update! He finally seems aware of things going on (Though he still hasn't opened his eye that we've seen). And he'll eat the food we give him off his face now (The repti aid mush stuff), but it would take nearly an hour to feed him that way so we still feed him by opening his mouth. Other than that not much has really gone on.

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
Have you changed the heat bulb yet? He won't get better thinking its night time :? Perhaps you might want to consider giving him to someone more able to get him what he needs because he has to see a vet and get the right lights. I hate to say it but right now dispite your efforts he is basically wasting away and dying a slow and painful death :(

sparten57

Original Poster
So does he actually need a new heat bulb? Or just something that makes a bright light? Because we were gonna get him a new UV bulb that's really bright and then if that's not bright enough then just set up a light bulb next to everything else. His current heat bulb is keeping his temp perfect right now (Though once winter comes around we're gonna have to buy a new one because it won't be warm enough). We also don't know anyone who has a bearded dragon =\ Otherwise sorry but we probably wouldn't be on here haha. Also one other thing. I heard that they can't tell there's light from a UV bulb so is that true? Or does he really need another source of light to tell him it's day time?

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
They can tell there is light from ANY source of light, but a uvb bulb alone can cause eye damage. Of course the heat emmitter is giving the right temp, but its not giving light and they have to have light they are not nocturnal. They have a sensor in the top of their head that tells them where the best light is which usually helps them choose where and when to bask. Without a good BRIGHT light he won't recover. How old are you guys? Don't you have family who can help? I'm sorry but the beardie needs a vet so bad if I were you I'd live off ramen noodles and minimum everything else until he was better. I don't get why you haven't spent $1 or less to get a good bright bulb for him . . . I'm very worried for this beardie. And I would hope that even if you did know anyone else with beardies that you would still be here.

sparten57

Original Poster
One dollar? Try more around 15 to 30 dollars but I told you my brother is going to the store today. He can't exactly just spend all his money considering he has other expenses and is also saving up for a wedding. I'm hopefully going to have a job of my own in a week or two, then I'll be able to actually help pay for stuff.

sparten57

Original Poster
Actually for a heat bulb that lights up is what I meant would cost 15-30 dollars (At least here it does). That's why I was asking if we could just put another light next to heat bulb. So we could actually afford it along with the new UV light that he needs. And then hopefully get him to a vet on the next pay check (Which I believe is soonish). When I said that we wouldn't be on here if we had a person who was good with bearded dragons was because then we would have help in person. If that person didn't know what to do then of course we would still search for help elsewhere.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
15-30 dollars would be a reptile basking specific bulb, perhaps. I would use a normal household bulb like this one.
SAM_1720.jpg

They are around 4-5 dollars for a 4 pack.

sparten57

Original Poster
Yes I was talking about for a reptile specific basking bulb. A normal household light bulb wouldn't be enough to heat him unless it's really warm out already. That's why I was asking if putting a spot light along with his current heat bulb would work. So could someone answer that question please? Because if so then we could start doing that by tonight.

sparten57

Original Poster
Oh and we live in Washington so the temperatures outside can easily go from 90 degrees to 60 on any given day

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
sparten57":2ic1h27t said:
Yes I was talking about for a reptile specific basking bulb. A normal household light bulb wouldn't be enough to heat him unless it's really warm out already. That's why I was asking if putting a spot light along with his current heat bulb would work. So could someone answer that question please? Because if so then we could start doing that by tonight.
Yes you can add a second fixture and bulb to provide more heat. i use 2 basking fixtures in each of my enclosure to better help me achieve the appropriate temperatures. Too cold turn on second too hot turn off second. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom