Bearded dragon health issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparten57

Original Poster
Yeah that's another health thing he's having a problem with but I think his face might have always been like that from his eye sense a little while after we got him. It never seemed to bother him so we didn't do anything about it sense we were told it would fall out. But now that he's got all these other issues then well.. Hopefully we can get him better (I'm really surprised he made it this far from what you've told me)

MissT

BD.org Addict
OOOOh I forgot to mention the apple sauce. Apple sauce is a natural laxative and ALSO an appetite suppressant so I would stop using that. Pick up some plain chicken or turkey baby food as that will be much better and add the calcium to that 5x per week and the vitamins 2x per week. The reason he is not eating is likely that he is in pain and he cannot see.

Beardies are tough... they will do their best to keep going and they will also do their best to hide the fact that they are not feeling well. Being so young, he should be much more active than he looks :(

MissT

BD.org Addict
Pick up an accurite digital thermometor from walmart with a probe on a wire. That will give you an accurate basking temp.

Im going to be a pain and ask, have you got that sand out of there yet??? It is only going to make his eyes feel even worse!

sparten57

Original Poster
Well he's definitely more active than he used to be before we changed the bulb. So he has that going for him. He used to not move at all and we'd have to put his face in his water dish for him to drink it but now he does it all by himself :) I forgot to mention that we have to feed him with a needless syringe. Do you know of something other than apple sauce we could feed him through that with? At least until he is able to eat on his own again?

MissT

BD.org Addict
Just add some water to the baby food - make sure it is stage 1 baby food - and that should make it watery enough to get through the syringe. Try not to force him to drink - beardies rarely drink from standing water. Give him a bath 2-3 times per week and drop water on his nose and that should make him drink. You can also offer water daily from a syringe. Leaving water only adds to humidity in the viv which isnt good for them.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
sparten57":ofp1mvgw said:
Well he's definitely more active than he used to be before we changed the bulb. So he has that going for him. He used to not move at all and we'd have to put his face in his water dish for him to drink it but now he does it all by himself :) I forgot to mention that we have to feed him with a needless syringe. Do you know of something other than apple sauce we could feed him through that with? At least until he is able to eat on his own again?

Please feed this through a needless syringe
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753955&keepsr=0&clickid=prod_cs
Get some asap
Also get some calcium +D3 supplement and mix it in with the repta aid, then feed.

sparten57

Original Poster
Well we tried giving him water by putting it on his nose already but he doesn't drink it. He'll just usually go over and drink it by himself now and then return back to the middle of the cage when he's done. So stage 1 baby food then? I forgot to mention that about a week ago his back started turning white but I think this is just from him getting ready to shed sense he hasn't done it in a while.

Shoot that reptiaid is expensive! Sense that's on petsmart.com though then that should hopefully mean they'll have it at the store itself and we won't have to pay for shipping (And we'll get it faster)

sparten57

Original Poster
Sorry didn't see your post earlier! I haven't removed the sand yet because we have nothing to replace it with. He would just be walking on glass if we removed the sand now (I'll try and get my brother to go get some replacement flooring when he gets home)

MissT

BD.org Addict
Paper towels will do in the mean time. Much easier clean ups with that too!!!!

Get the baby food to start and the vet visit! The vet visit is really the priority as money is tight so you will really want to be getting that first. There is a good chance that the vet will give you oxbox critical care if you tell him that he is not eating.

MissT

BD.org Addict
scubasteve25":8zmc2p0a said:
bare glass would be better than the sand, news paper, paper towels, anything, just try to get it out of there ASAP

Steve, I believe we are reading each other minds here! lol!

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
sparten57":2elojd4a said:
Well we tried giving him water by putting it on his nose already but he doesn't drink it. He'll just usually go over and drink it by himself now and then return back to the middle of the cage when he's done. So stage 1 baby food then? I forgot to mention that about a week ago his back started turning white but I think this is just from him getting ready to shed sense he hasn't done it in a while.

Shoot that reptiaid is expensive! Sense that's on petsmart.com though then that should hopefully mean they'll have it at the store itself and we won't have to pay for shipping (And we'll get it faster)

They do have it as an in store item. It is good stuff and formulated to help in situations like this. It isn't a cure and it will not solve the entirety of the problem but, it can and will help a lot. Completely worth every penny.

MissT

BD.org Addict
OOOOh o just put down a normal towel until you get something else! Towels are great in times of need! My little guy has been living on his towel for 2 weeks now (he's not very well :()

sparten57

Original Poster
Alright I'll get my brother to remove the sand as soon as possible. One of us would need to hold Draco while the other one gets rid of the sand so until then I'll just hold onto Draco and he can sit on my lap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom