Bearded dragon & a dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristileigh

I'm looking into getting a bearded dragon & I have a dog. I would like to know if any of y'all have a dog & a beardie how do they get along & how did y'all introduce them.

Kristi

pyffersnpaws

Juvie Member
We have 3 beardies and 5 dogs... we don't bring them out together, I know others on here do, but I don't like risking it... to easy to have one get excited and then have the other 4 join in... and then I'd be out numbered. But the do go up to their vivs and check them out, and we just gently get them to move along with out making it a big deal, they took a couple weeks to just pretty much ignore the beardies unless one decides to come up to the glass and dance.

drgnfly2265

Sub-Adult Member
This picture pretty much shows how well my dog and beardie get along.

DSCN3989.jpg

Suki, my dog, has the best temperament towards other animals. She wouldn't harm a fly. Introducing them to this point took a little while but in the end it was worth it. But just remember that not all dogs will be as calm. Some are just hyper and want to "play" with anything that moves.

Kristileigh

Original Poster
I have boxer so there's no such thing as calm with her unfortunately! Lol I just don't want to do anything to upset the dragon & it think the dog is gonna hurt it. Thanks I look forward to reading about the bearded dragon & learning a lot!

Cowabunga

Hatchling Member
I have a Boxer as well but he's a show dog so he has a bit more behavior training than the typical Boxer. He's hyper on his own but when you give him the command to chill out then he calms down and behaves. My beardie has no fear of him even since we got him and he was roughly 1yr+ already. I took my beardie out of his viv and placed him on the table, Tyke, our boxer, came upto him gave him a few sniffs I gave him the command "leave it" and that was that. On a side note, when the beardie wants to explore and decides he wants to try and climb the dog and go for a ride, good luck talking him out of it lol. :lol:

kimbasmom

Juvie Member
I have cats, no dogs (the cats would freak), but I'd say always keep everyone under close supervision, no matter how "safe" the situation might be. Dogs (and cats) are prey-driven. In working with parrots, having dogs/cats/predators around with "eat-y eyes" as I call 'em (that ooh, a new toy, look!), can actually stress them out. (We have birdies too...the beardie doesn't know what to make of the talking parrot. LOL!) I suspect with our little guys being prey in the wild that would be a similar situation with stress from thinking they were going to be eaten all the time. Plus there's the germ factor. So always be watchful and careful.

That said, dogs and cats can be taught. My kitties learned when I said "stop!" they were to halt in their tracks because one of the finches got out. But, those were the middle aged and old kitties nearly ten years ago (all have gone beyond the bridge sadly), and with the "war kittens" there's no teaching them. LOL!

You know your dogs best, but I would be cautious and always keep everyone under observation. It can be done, but slowly and carefully, I'm sure.

warnisha

Juvie Member
we have two cats and two dogs....don't let them out together without supervision. The dogs could honestly care less about the dragons but the cats well they are hunters and I just don't trust it. They are indoor/outdoor so when they aren't in is when the dragons can have some out time. We also had an indoor kitty until after thanksgiving (had to put her to sleep she was older) and our big guy literally used to chase her around! it was hilarious! he would puff up and black beard her and chase her if he saw her! She didn't have claws and was a big chicken so I knew she was safe!!! It was hilarious!!!!!

Mirrorakay

Hatchling Member
I have a dog, and he seems entirely uninterested by my beardie. He'll walk by him without sparing a glance, and then snuggle up next to me; he's the type to get jealous if he isn't the center of attention. Of course, the just means he butts in the middle of my Zeke time. More than once he's almost fallen over on Zeke because he was so desperate to turn Zeke time into Riku time.

Sarai

I have dogs and a beardie, they're fine together, but my beardie is pretty mellow and will let you do pretty much anything to him, and my dogs are the same way, but when Kujo is out (my beardie) they're ALWAYS supervised. Even if the dog genuinely likes the beardie and means no harm, a dogs play can injure the little guy. So it depends on your dog, if they're playful or mellow, and it depends on your beardie, if something like that would stress him out, then don't risk it.

I wouldn't do any test runs either, if you're not sure, then don't give a chance to something bad happening. You can always let your dog run around outside while your beardie is out =]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SilverSelene
Top Bottom