Baron the Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just making this to put stories/pictures of Baron in.
I got him on Friday. I think he was laid in Jan/Feb, and he hatched in March but I'm not 100 percent sure.
He's a Super Red, and pretty gentle for now.
Here he is:
tumblr_mlj8a5sLMZ1qc4rpqo1_500.jpg

No exciting stories about him yet...aside from his logic being "No I don't want dinner 2 hours before my lights go out, Mom" and then 15 minutes before lights go out, he is dancing along the glass where the cricket keeper is and trying to eat them through it.
And then when I go to feed him this morning...nothing. Silly Beardie.

herpgirl2510

Sub-Adult Member
I kennel my dogs except with Rosie they like him. My cat does not notice any of my reptiles. Shutting them in another room s a good idea so your beardie gets some exercise.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Both of my cats have noticed him, and I've had a number of problems with my younger one jumping up on top of his viv(I have curbed that behavior away now, thank goodness). I don't want to let Baron roam free until he's larger anyways because he can get caught under any number of things if I'm not quick enough. I'm not to worried about Baron not getting enough exercise right now, I'm more concerned about him putting on weight. Thanks though. ^^

And I could put him in my room-but it's a bit of a mess. >>

herpgirl2510

Sub-Adult Member
CountofCasualty":3nqxxlr5 said:
Both of my cats have noticed him, and I've had a number of problems with my younger one jumping up on top of his viv(I have curbed that behavior away now, thank goodness). I don't want to let Baron roam free until he's larger anyways because he can get caught under any number of things if I'm not quick enough. I'm not to worried about Baron not getting enough exercise right now, I'm more concerned about him putting on weight. Thanks though. ^^

And I could put him in my room-but it's a bit of a mess. >>
I forgot he is a baby. I just let Sherlock my baby sit on me not free roam the house.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Baron gets nightly cuddles once lights are out with me, and half an hour of cuddles after his bath before his dinner. If he really wants to run around, he's not afraid to in his giant viv(compared to him, that is.). ^^

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
So I have seen pictures of the crazy sleeping positions Beardies do. But I've never witnessed Baron sleeping like this. He always lies flat in one corner of his viv, and that's it. He's pretty consistent. But tonight after his lights went out, I looked up, and saw this:

tumblr_mnaim02AbO1qc4rpqo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mnailb42vv1qc4rpqo1_500.jpg

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
That's a curious question...I want to know now as well.

Baron is shedding his head. Not a explosion of shed like his first time-it's kind of just flaking off. I only notice because he's running around rubbing his head on any number of things and he had some shed hanging out of his nostrils. He is so active after his shed, running all over the place. Didn't eat much yesterday or today, but that's fine.

It's the weekend, and hope everyone enjoys it. I'm going to be cleaning the house and Baron's viv tomorrow and Sunday between Lynn Valley Days(Hello Carnival food!).

Going to go give Baron his nightly soak since he won't eat his nightly crickets, and see what he thinks of some cuddles.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
It was festival day in New West, too, the Hyack festival. I usually go bit didn't bother today, it was kind of yukky weather, was tired from work, so slept in (ahhhh) and was lazy with the boys all day.

Another shed, well, he's growing, so expect more, now he's on a real roll!

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
The gross weather turned me off today to, Deb. That and I woke up with a big head ache. I did get Baron's viv all clean, everything has been soaked in hot water and a little bleach. Even the cricket container got some serious cleaning today as well. Thanks for the tip on the protein! I only lost 10 out of 200! :D

I cleaned Arya's cage as well today. I've started using the left over slate tiles from Baron's viv that don't fit in Arya's cage under and in front of her wheel to help keep her nails trimmed. It works well enough that I only have to trim her nails every 3 weeks over every week or so like before. It's such a stressful ordeal for her, she hates bath time and me touching her feet. I'm really glad we went with tile for Baron's Viv even more now because of that as well. She did get her nails trimmed today, a big bath and some extra long cuddles. Now that I have a schedule with work and the pets set up now, I'm going to start cuddling her nightly as well-before it would be every other or every third night because I didn't have time. Now that I do she'll be getting a lot more attention...Not like she wants it.

Baron has dropped to not eating as many crickets, down from 30 to 15-20 again...He'll jump at waxes when I offer them though, but he's only getting 2-3 a week because they're so fatty. I give some extra to Arya, but not many because Hedgies gain weight really fast. I'll stick with him though. He hasn't lost any weight though, and is still pooping normally. He's taken to pooping in his food dish with his greens. I had hoped he wouldn't develop that habit, but he has. :(

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Baron's appetite came back with a fury today. He's eaten 20 crickets just this morning! He's got a fat little belly, makes me laugh. He's turned into an eating machine, that's for sure! I've put the permit application off til the end of this month. We don't have the money for it right now, even though it's only 35 dollars, our trip up north cost a bit more then we expected. So for now he's getting crickets and his veg(though he isn't eating them).

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
It's so funny how they'll stop eating, then start eating with a vengeance again, so funny, but so glad to hear. He's growing a lot, I'll bet!

I have to clip Titan's nails again, they grow out so fast! and they hurt, too, when he tries to get away from me.

As for Baron pooping in his food dish, it's not uncommon, maybe put another dish in there without greens, see if he uses that. Don't know what else to suggest, Titan is my youngest beardie and I have him going in the bath every am now, he waits for his bath, too, even if I'm late. Such a good boy. Good thing, too, his poops stink, he's got parasites again, so he's to the vet on Saturday am (again).

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Zy pooped in her food dish before when she was younger. I moved it over and she stopped, still continuing to poop in the same spot it had been in. Turns out I had it in her designated poop spot.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
He stopped pooping in his dish for the time being...He's now pooping on his stairs and in the corner by the cricket keeper. I think he realized his veggie dish had food in it. Ha.
I measured him today, he's just short of 8 inches long though I got that measurement with his head being held up. Edit: I just looked at the image and realized his tail is hanging over the edge....So I guess he's just over 8 inches now?

Here are some pictures of the shed head baby::

tumblr_mnhma71YAz1qc4rpqo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mnhma71YAz1qc4rpqo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mnhoiwT9Hq1qc4rpqo1_500.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom