Baron the Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just making this to put stories/pictures of Baron in.
I got him on Friday. I think he was laid in Jan/Feb, and he hatched in March but I'm not 100 percent sure.
He's a Super Red, and pretty gentle for now.
Here he is:
tumblr_mlj8a5sLMZ1qc4rpqo1_500.jpg

No exciting stories about him yet...aside from his logic being "No I don't want dinner 2 hours before my lights go out, Mom" and then 15 minutes before lights go out, he is dancing along the glass where the cricket keeper is and trying to eat them through it.
And then when I go to feed him this morning...nothing. Silly Beardie.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Terrible news...

Benjamin got in through the lid today..despite the cardboard...
He got Baron out. I don't have the words to say. I've been crying, and was sent home early from work. I feel terrible. I don't know what to do...or how to feel aside from complete utter sadness.

All I know is I should have done better by him, somehow, to prevent this, and that the 2 months we had him were the best I've had in a very long time because everyday with him was new and different and while scary at times, all very exciting.

I don't have the guts to put a RIP up today, or maybe tomorrow. I know I'll do one, with all my favorite pictures of him, and some of the best moments.

I know a lot of people will probably think 'well, that's what you expect, owning a cat and a lizard.' And I tried...everything, to make sure this would not happen. A 2' cardboard wall, where the viv is already 4' high. I tried everything...and that's all I keep thinking to myself.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thank you...We're thinking about getting another dragon, but we're going to have the viv in our bedroom if we do with the door always closed...I'm not sure yet, though. I'm still kind of in a state of shock, but my fighters instinct is telling me to get another one so I won't succumb to the anxiety and depression I have. I just don't know when we will, if we will...My parents agreed they will pay for another one, no matter what though...which is a nice sentiment from them.

Whatever the case may be, I would rather have no pets at all then this happen again.

It's also strange how much the people you surround yourself with every day come in for support when something tragic happens.

We went out and bought a big planter and dragon-friendly plants, and we're going to bury him in that. Since I don't know if we'll be moving to another place within the next few years, I don't want to bury him in the court yard, nor do I want to go do it in the Lynn Valley Canon. This way he can stay with us if we move or something.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Maybe what might be best is wait until you feel ready for another baby. You never know when it will be, but as soon as you see that baby, you will know you're ready. Don't force yourself into something you are immediately ready for. Take your time.

It is very amazing how many people here are here for your time of need. Everyone has gone through this experience or something similar and can relate.

My advice is to take a long hot shower and cry your eyes out. It always helped me because the hot water keeps me calm. It's going to hurt for a while and no one can expect you to just get over it and be ready for another one. Grieving is a long process. But take all the time you need and just let it out. It's always a little easier once you've cried it out.

Hope this helps and we are all here for you.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I'll know for sure when I'm ready...When I saw Baron, the first day I met him proper, I knew I had to get him that day. Even if we weren't 100% prepared, I had to because I didn't want anyone else having him.
I don't think we'll get another super red though, it'll hurt to much. Maybe a Citrus, because they're beautiful. But I'm not really focused on the colour, I don't really care much... I just know that there's a hole in my chest that Baron belonged in, and there's another beardie out there that will fill it. West Coast Dragon's disappeared off the map, and they were one of the most well known within BC. I'll look for a few others, but I think I found one that I might be interested in buying from, but she doesn't have any available right now.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
So I'm going to start a new thread and will link it http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=194295...I went to Petsmart and saw an adorable baby there.
I didn't want it to be so soon, but I couldn't go to work today. I haven't even really eaten yet. I've been crying off and on, and barely slept. This space in the house that Baron filled SO much, it was so much larger then I thought. More than I understood until yesterday and today.

Baron really gave me things I never thought I could have. The new baby won't give me those same things and I know that, but I can still love and care for him just as much and more.

My parents paid for the adorable baby...He's in great shape, so alert and very...very active. In a way I feel almost bad, because it is so quick. But my mourning will continue, even with the new addition. I won't forget Baron though, never.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Baron know you will always love him and that this baby isn't a replacement, but someone else who also needs your love and attention. Can't wait to see the new baby. You felt right when you saw that baby and that is what counts. Lots of hugs from me and cuddles from my babies your way.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I still expect him to be around, feel him on my shoulder or hear him jumping at his doors and scratching to get out. I kept expecting to see him move yesterday, and I woke up so many times after we buried him expecting to go out to the living room and see him snoozing away and that it was fine and just a bad dream. And that's really hard to deal with. I look at little Cho and all I think is 'you have the biggest shoes to fill.' which really isn't fair to him, but I know he will fill them, and he's done a pretty good job for his first day. Tough day on the job for him. I keep sitting in front of the viv crying. He's probably so confused.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Animals are amazing for their ability to understand. He might not know why you're upset, but he knows you are. Animals are very in tune with our emotions. The biggest part is remembering not to compare him to Baron. It's hard, I know, but you two will figure yourselves and your relationship out and it will be for the best.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
He'll never be Baron, and that's okay. I'm just worried he won't be as snuggly! I love the dragon cuddles!

Benjamin has come near me twice since yesterday, and I'm glad for that. I don't hate him by any means, or resent him at all, but I need my space from him for now.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm so sorry to hear about Baron and I can just imagine how sad you are. I've lost 4 females over the years and I still miss them, my boys can't take their places but they do fill your heart again, Baron's memories will never go away. I'm glad you got another baby to care for, it will help ease your heart. RIP Baron, little man, you are much loved.
Take care
Deb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom