Anyone's beardies showing signs of brumation already??

Status
Not open for further replies.

erdeem

Hatchling Member
I think my dragon shows sign for brumation too... She is approx 1 year. She starts slowing down one month ago, and now stop touching her food. Man... this really frustating. I'm still not sure whether this is a brumation sign or she is sick. I've been trying to "force" feed her baby food but she only eat a little. I plan to do fecal exam on Monday to make sure she is all right.
What is the sign for brumation aside from slowing down for food?

erdeem

Hatchling Member
Billie (her name) has a hide log in her enclosure, but I think it is not enough for her. Lately has been trying to go out of her enclosure (she has a coffee table type enclosure, she will be able to come out if I don't secure the door and she knows this). Al she wants to do is push the door open, and if I let her out she will go to the under the table hide and sleep. She is just so pushy to go outside her enclosure, and go to the dark spot and sleep.... is this count as a sign of brumation aside lack of appetite.
Mannn.. it's still summer here, we live in DC and it's summer here now. I can't believe that she is going to brumate.

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
You might try putting in a shoe box with a hole in so she can get somewhere nice and dark. Scorch opened her mouth at the hubby today after he disturbed her afternoon nap and insisted on being too affectionate. I told him women do not like to be woken up by amorous men. We need our beauty sleep after all. He's lucky she didn't bite. She looked pissed and went right back to sleep when he returned her to the viv.

FJM

Hatchling Member
Ruby2uesday: Mine was the same age as yours this time last year. I didn't think she'd go into brumation, but at a year and 1 month she slept through February and March.

Malys isn't really slowing down yet, as far as her appetite goes. She has been falling asleep long before her regular bedtime though, especially on those nights when the temps drop. In preparation, i bought her a new fleecy blanket to spend the winter in :)

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Yes it seems to be that time of year, Gizmo has been one grouchy lady recently. I have been doing overtime and my BF kept returning her to her basking perch to 'warm up' and this is where she normally sleeps. I caught him doing it, and app its been going on for weeks! no wonder shes grouchy!! Ill be putting her in her hidy spot (she dosnt usually like it) to reminder her there is a nice dark place if she wants. Feacals will hopefully be done this week or next week!

God i hate this time of year!

Chryss

Hatchling Member
What age do they usually start? Alvin is 6 months old. On Monday, when I got home at lunch, he was still asleep in his blanket. He usually is up on his basking spot waiting on me. The rest of this week he has been up. I was wondering if that meant he was going to go into brumation already?

When they do go into brubmation, do I just let him sleep without any baths or food? And what about the lights?

beardieaddict

Sub-Adult Member
they usually will not brumate until the following year usually when the are full adullts maybe alvin is just taking a lazy day

spyder79

Extreme Poster
It has a lot to do with how fast they grow as well. My big male Dr. Evil was 22 inches at 7 months old. He went into brumation at 9 months old. The vet told me that it was due to him having grown to a full adult size so quickly that his body needed to recover. It sucks i hate it i hate it i hate it
stupid brumation lol

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
beardieaddict":9461d said:
they usually will not brumate until the following year usually when the are full adullts maybe alvin is just taking a lazy day
This is not necesarily so....I have 2 males that brumated there first time at under a year. PVT Blaze who was hatched 6/1/08 brumated last year at only 7 months old an it was a full brumation. :shock: Checker's my 3-1/2 y/o male also brumated at under a year he was 8 months when he went into a full brumation. Both of these beardies go out for the count for about 10 weeks. I think personally that size has just as much to do with it as age.

Keep in mind even if a beardie is not large or an adult they can still slow down considerably even if they don't actually go into a full brumation.

beardieaddict

Sub-Adult Member
huh i did not know that i thought they only did it as adults well thanks for that info i guess we learn something new everyday

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
beardieaddict":3de3c said:
huh i did not know that i thought they only did it as adults well thanks for that info i guess we learn something new everyday
You were actually right with your first statement that..
beardieaddict wrote:
But never assume when it comes to a beardie because they are all so different. :wink:

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
VEGASLIZARD":f9015 said:
I was having dreams about my son getting his tegu. I was reading last night how a very tame monitor lizard decided to chew on the neck of the woman who was babysitting him while his owner was away. She was holding him with his head on her shoulder like a baby. So I had a bad dream about his lizard growing up and chewing on me, Scorch and every other thing it could get its toofers on. The dreams didn't get any better after that, needless to say when I got up at 6am this morning I did not feel rested. I wonder what beardies dream about when they bruminate??? World domination? Maybe mind control and ways to get us to bend to their every whim?

I have a tegu...the key to tegus is to respect them (they aren't likely to cooperate as much as beardies) and also to keep them well fed. I think they get aggressive when people don't feed them enough. Mine is very tame and has never struck at ANYONE. What type is your son getting? They can be very high maintenance lizards, though, and require an enormous cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom