Parasite question. HELP!

Sabrinaquast

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Opie and Wednesday
I have 2 bearded dragons, Wednesday and Opie. They are NOT houses together and have NEVER interacted with each other (I'm not ready for babies) Wednesday was showing signs of a URI, or so I thought. I took her to the vet and they said she had 2 parasites, I forgot exactly what they said but they did say she had the hook worms and one other kind of parasite. They helped me give her medicine there then sent me home with 2 different medications to give her orally in 14 days. Metronidazole and strongid-t oral dewormer. Also strict instructions to wipe her vent clean immediately after every bowel movement and switched her to paper towels instead of the tile and loose substrate I initially had her on during the treatment. So she has since had her 2nd dose and I stuck to the Drs instructions religiously.

Here's the thing. Before I knew she had parasites I'm almost certain I infected Opie. I give them water to drink in their enclosures however they never drink that water so I give them water daily with a medicine dropper....the same medicine dropper....from the same water source... Now while Opie is not showing ANY of the same symptoms that Wednesday was showing before her treatment, he does frequently have loose poopie and he is almost always moody (blackbeards at almost everything some days) some days he absolutely tares his enclosure apart, pulls all plants down, everything, other days he sleeps in the same spot all day and doesn't move.

I cannot afford to take him to the vet after dropping 300 on Wednesday but I'm wondering if I should treat him with the left over meds from treating Wednesday?

What do you guys think?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have 2 bearded dragons, Wednesday and Opie. They are NOT houses together and have NEVER interacted with each other (I'm not ready for babies) Wednesday was showing signs of a URI, or so I thought. I took her to the vet and they said she had 2 parasites, I forgot exactly what they said but they did say she had the hook worms and one other kind of parasite. They helped me give her medicine there then sent me home with 2 different medications to give her orally in 14 days. Metronidazole and strongid-t oral dewormer. Also strict instructions to wipe her vent clean immediately after every bowel movement and switched her to paper towels instead of the tile and loose substrate I initially had her on during the treatment. So she has since had her 2nd dose and I stuck to the Drs instructions religiously.

Here's the thing. Before I knew she had parasites I'm almost certain I infected Opie. I give them water to drink in their enclosures however they never drink that water so I give them water daily with a medicine dropper....the same medicine dropper....from the same water source... Now while Opie is not showing ANY of the same symptoms that Wednesday was showing before her treatment, he does frequently have loose poopie and he is almost always moody (blackbeards at almost everything some days) some days he absolutely tares his enclosure apart, pulls all plants down, everything, other days he sleeps in the same spot all day and doesn't move.

I cannot afford to take him to the vet after dropping 300 on Wednesday but I'm wondering if I should treat him with the left over meds from treating Wednesday?

What do you guys think?
Have a fecal done first- start there

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra

What do you guys think?
I agree with Karrieree have a fecal done. It's pretty cheap, collect the sample yourself and take it in. Do not let them do an enema.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom