Anyone use reptiglo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ever read about/used Exo-Terra Reptiglo 10.0, 8% uvb tubes before? Just wondering. States that it is only to be used to desert reptiles that have very high uvb requirements.

BotanicalStig

Juvie Member
Reptiglo bulbs are unsuitable for bearded dragons. If your pet shop doesn't sell reptisun 10, or arcadia 12% tubes, you will need to order one online. In which case, turn the light off while the new bulb is on the way. No UVB (temporarily) is better than bad UVB.

thegreybush

Juvie Member
Used em for a couple of years with my dragons of all ages, hatchling to adults, in conjunction with a bright light source next to it, and never had a problem. Just sayin.

Rdizzy1223

Original Poster
In other reviews by people I've read they worked well also, and these are actually specified towards desert reptiles (bd's)

Rdizzy1223

Original Poster
ALso i've read a few studies that show in the wild australian lizards such as bd's usually dont get more than a 5-7% exposure to uvb. Due to the fact that they arent always in the desert they are in woodlands,rocky outcrops, etc. With trees, leaves, etc filtering out some of the uvb from the sun, and anything more than what they are getting in the wild isnt any more helpful and can actually be harmful to some extent.

thegreybush

Juvie Member
Interesting that you say that, because the dangers that have been noted with reptiglo's are not due to putting out too little, but too MUCH uvb. You won't hear anybody say that they don't give enough UVB. Truuuuuust me. This topic has started wars here in this community lol. Its a good debate to keep fresh, though.

Rdizzy1223

Original Poster
Ahh, ok well if anyone has some current readings on the uvb outputs of the reptiglo 10.0 tube with 3-6 inch differences let me know. I still gotta grab a uvb meter at some point. I would imagine if it was too much uvb people could just raise it higher up? My tank is 30 inches high.

Rdizzy1223

Original Poster
Yeah it seems the overall uv index of the reptiglo 10.0 @ 12 inches is roughly the same as the reptisun10.0 at 6 inches, and the total uvb output @ 12 inches are almost identical between the two.

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
The problem with the bulbs (from what I remember based on the research on this board) is that a real 'UVB' wave has a pretty broad spectrum, bearded dragons only benefit from a certain spectrum of UVB and can be harmed by waves outside that spectrum, the spectrum that ReptiGlo gives off includes the harmful spectrum which causes a few different problems. Some bearded dragons are more resistant than others, but why chance it when the ReptiSun/Arcadia are specially designed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heidib715
Top Bottom