anoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grixxly15

Gray-bearded Member
You should not really feed anoles. They are dangerous to your bearded dragons health. Not only are they hard to digest, but they are also hard to just consume. It's also not very humane. Please do not feed anoles to your bearded dragon. It's just asking for trouble.

LittleRob

Hatchling Member
Okay so my thoughts were correct on this subject. :study: Bad idea. :| And that website should now only be used for pet buying purposed not feeders.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Grixxly15":ae55b said:
You should not really feed anoles. They are dangerous to your bearded dragons health. Not only are they hard to digest, but they are also hard to just consume. It's also not very humane. Please do not feed anoles to your bearded dragon. It's just asking for trouble.
I agree 100%!

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
There are places/websites that sell house geckos and anoles specifically for feeding purposes, but beardie's shouldn't eat them. It's dangerous for too many reasons..

Trogdor80

Hatchling Member
The parasite risks of feeding them another reptile would probably make this a bad idea. They are also bigger than pinky mice that many people are reluctant to feed because of some impaction risk.

As far as "cruelty" , an anole has a smaller brain than say a mouse (that any of you with tegus, monitors, or snakes have feed to your baby)

Its not "cannibalism" anoles are not agamids which means they aren't that closely related to beardies even though they are lizards. Anoles are no more closely related to beardies than say Pigs are related to Humans. You eat pork don't you?

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
Trogdor80":1ad64 said:
You eat pork don't you?

A more apt analogy would be a human being eating bush meat - ie. gorilla or chimpanzee meat. I think we can all agree that isn't right. But this is still a bad idea for the other reasons you mentioned. Impaction and parasites are both serious problems and can be avoided by choosing appropriate feeder items - worms, crickets, etc, - NOT anoles.

Trogdor80

Hatchling Member
Jasper's Mom":9225f said:
Trogdor80":9225f said:
You eat pork don't you?

A more apt analogy would be a human being eating bush meat - ie. gorilla or chimpanzee meat. I think we can all agree that isn't right. But this is still a bad idea for the other reasons you mentioned. Impaction and parasites are both serious problems and can be avoided by choosing appropriate feeder items - worms, crickets, etc, - NOT anoles.

No, a chimp or gorilla for a human would be like a beardie eating another agamid (like say a frilled dragon)You should really have paid more attention in biology class.

The only other animals that look kinda like humans are other primates that are closely related, there are other lizards that aren't that closely related to another family of lizards, no more than we are to some random mammal that looks nothing like us.

But um yeah, I still say bad idea on account of parasites and impaction.

I find the folks complaining about whats "humane" to be rather silly at times. People will b!+#% about its "inhumane" if you mention you feed your python hamsters, and say you should feed it rats. A hamster has no bigger of a brain than a rat, and is no endangered or anything. There is no reason that a hamster should not be feed. Rats eventually get huge, like close to rabbits/guinea pigs if you don't feed them soon enough, hamsters stay small to medium rat size indefinitely.

Grixxly15

Gray-bearded Member
Trogdor80":0ceae said:
Jasper's Mom":0ceae said:
Trogdor80":0ceae said:
You eat pork don't you?

No, a chimp or gorilla for a human would be like a beardie eating another agamid (like say a frilled dragon)You should really have paid more attention in biology class.

The only other animals that look kinda like humans are other primates that are closely related, there are other lizards that aren't that closely related to another family of lizards, no more than we are to some random mammal that looks nothing like us.

But um yeah, I still say bad idea on account of parasites and impaction.

I find the folks complaining about whats "humane" to be rather silly at times. People will b!+#% about its "inhumane" if you mention you feed your python hamsters, and say you should feed it rats. A hamster has no bigger of a brain than a rat, and is no endangered or anything. There is no reason that a hamster should not be feed. Rats eventually get huge, like close to rabbits/guinea pigs if you don't feed them soon enough, hamsters stay small to medium rat size indefinitely.

No need to be hostile to Jasper's mom. She is a respected member on this forum. A human eating a chimpanzee is a close comparison to a bearded dragon eating an anole look at their anatomy and you will see they share a lot of the same similarities just like humans and chimps.

The reason why I feel as it is not humane is not because anoles are cute and crickets are ugly. It is because it is totally unnecessary. Feeding anoles is inhumane not just to the anole but also your bearded dragon as it can pose a risk to your beardies health, and even it's life.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Mice are cute, too! Humanity isn't really the question, if you use anoles that are bred for feeders (just not for feeding BDs).. But, it always seems to be a hot-button-topic around here ;)

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
I couldn't care less about the taxonomic classification of predator vs. prey. I'm talking about a reptile eating another reptile, a primate eating another primate.

At any rate, I think that most of us can agree that it's a bad idea, for whatever reason. I'm happy with leaving it at that.

Trogdor80

Hatchling Member
Sorry if I came across a little harsh earlier, I can get worked up, not intentionally trying to be mean.

but feeding an anole to a Tegu would be a feeding chimp to a human analogy.

Feeding an anole to an agamid(like a beardie) , or feeding an anole to a monitor, would be like feeding a non primate mammal to a human. Our closest non primate relative is a pig (which we eat all the time).

But yes, the disease factor and the wrong size factor is enough to make it a bad idea.

Elaina

Juvie Member
the OP never even got a chance to chime back in LOL!!!! Most vets will say, stick with insects as live feeders for beardies. Impaction, bacteria, parasites..we ae more prepared to treat any neg. results that insects might bring..not reptile feeders. Size alone..just too big.

Get your beardie some nice fat roaches, he'll be full :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom