Petsmart should not sell reptiles

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
I know people have already said this numerous times but I thought I’d share what I saw today, it absolutely disgusts me.

I took a look in the reptile section as I usually do at any general pet store, now, I don’t have pictures but I’ll try and describe it.

Ten bearded dragons in what looked to be a 10 gallon enclosure. Ten! One was completely unresponsive and I’d assume dead/dying in the corner of the enclosure.

I could see almost all of their ribs and hip bones, their eyes and fat pads were also very sunken. I pointed this out to the employee who was working there but she waved me off.

I thought they’d taken a step in the right direction, for a little while they kept one per enclosure and had changed their uvb to an Arcadia tube lamp. I though it was ok.

And their excuse? “They got more than they expected during the last restock” that’s no excuse to let poor little babies suffer like this, they also looked like they had just hatched.

And then I saw the anoles. They were tiny, severally underweight and lethargic. It disgusts me. It absolutely disgusts me. One looked like it was on the brink of death.

I can’t express how disappointed I am. I thought they were getting better. How could I be so wrong. It’s still the same and has been for every Petsmart I’ve ever visited.

Edit: I’ve emailed their higher ups and would like to report them for animal abuse/neglect, how would one go about doing so?

Last edited:

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I find myself going to my local pet stores policing at times too. It messes with my emotional health. You're doing the right thing but know thing but it's a big battle. We also shouldn't generalize all stores because I've been in some stores where the workers seemed to care. I try to do my part, I've been known to educate customers, talk some OUT of buying beardies, told the parents how much work they are, asked that they remove poop etc. I haven't been banned yet which is good because I need a bulb or costume or other random crap.
There are some posts here but I think the fight continues. Knowing that you did your part OR you can try to save them all but I think that is nearly impossible as they will replace them. It's so sad. I am sad reading them. But I thank you for caring!

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
I find myself going to my local pet stores policing at times too. It messes with my emotional health. You're doing the right thing but know thing but it's a big battle. We also shouldn't generalize all stores because I've been in some stores where the workers seemed to care. I try to do my part, I've been known to educate customers, talk some OUT of buying beardies, told the parents how much work they are, asked that they remove poop etc. I haven't been banned yet which is good because I need a bulb or costume or other random crap.
There are some posts here but I think the fight continues. Knowing that you did your part OR you can try to save them all but I think that is nearly impossible as they will replace them. It's so sad. I am sad reading them. But I thank you for caring!
I get where you’re coming from, and I absolutely agree we shouldn’t take them out of business. They have a good stock and their prices are second to none BUT there is still no excuse to neglect innocent animals.

I stand by my point that pet stores should not sell animals they are uneducated on, and they are spreading that false information on to new owners. That’s a lot of sad, neglected animals to be right there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom