venom

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwoodtoo

i have heard that the bearded dragon is one of three lizards that has venom glands, although it is in very mild strength.anyone else know if this is a fact?

spikez123

Hatchling Member
i do not know for sure but i have seen a few websites that say only the Gila monster and the Komodo dragon have venom

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
No the bearded dragon does not have venom, they do have bacteria but it's worse in a cat.

Komodo dragons are another species that does not have venom but there bacteria is extremely lethal to a human.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Poisoned1":d6937 said:
No the bearded dragon does not have venom, they do have bacteria but it's worse in a cat.

That's true.. they still advise against pregnant women coming into contact with soiled cat litter due to birth defects...
hehe, the more ya know, right ;)

O-Gonchothedragon

Juvie Member
the only venomous lizards discovered are gila monster, mexican beaded lizard (not bearded, it is beaded) , and currently the komodo dragon, (which i thought it's parasites made it deadly, but i hear that is does have venom). Maybe hearing that the bearded dragon is poisonous is from walt disney's movie "Holes", (book by louis sachar) they use beardies to play the fictional yellow spotted lizards, which are supposed to bite you which kills you is a few seconds. ive been bit by my dragon several times,(well, not bad bites), and remained unharmed. where did here this?? did they mean if you lick your beardie that you may get salmonella?(food poisoning(i think all reptiles have it) beardies are not venomous.

good luck with yours! :mrgreen:

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Yes believe it or not they actually are on the venomous species list.Kind of funny in order for any damage to actually occur they would have to cew on you arm for hours and even then you would just need an antibiotic.I believe they actually excrete a paralytic agent of sorts but I am not sure of the exact details.

Grixxly15

Gray-bearded Member
According to Kirby they are Venomous. I remember him saying something like that a long time ago.

neecie

Juvie Member
The new movie, Nim's Island has some cute beardie segments -- eating a sandwich (phony voice coming from it) and see it on her shoulder. Reminds me to get the movie and re=watch it.

Yea, I heard about the beardies in HOLES playing the part of dangerous reptiles...............guess you have to get sweetie pie lizards to play the role of killer ones.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
O-Gonchothedragon":8b4ae said:
ok.............so it's 100% that the lovable, popular bearded dragon IS VEMOMOUS????????
Yeah if thats what you want to call it :lol:

spikez123

Hatchling Member
im not saying i disagree with all of you but i do want to point out that you should not be so quick to believe wikipedia. any one can post or edit on it. it may just be saying that because someone wants to discourage owning beardies.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nekov
Top Bottom