Trimming nails???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DawnCh

When and how do you trim beardie nails? I am nervous to do it. Is there something else I can do instead of trimming ? Can they just be filed or something?
95686-7668973636.jpg
95686-5614165221.jpg
95686-8965969812.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't bother unless their nails are cutting me or causing a problem. You can cut them using nail clippers. Just cut the very sharp end. If you run the clippers along the inside of the nail you will feel a bump toward the end where the nail tip begins. You can also file them down using an emery board. I've found it easiest to do this in the evening when they are less energetic. I also only work on one hand/foot at a time since they tend to get squirmy after a little bit. It takes a bit of patience but isn't too hard.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I use rough textured floor tile for a substrate, it keeps her nails filed for me and, it's easy to clean, doesn't promote mold or bacteria growth.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
If you dragon will sit for it you can file them down (if they are scratching you or more importantly they are getting caught in things, like a hammock if they have one or on their carpeting, as they can actually hurt their legs from yanking them to free their nails), but if your dragon is like my 6-month old boy he refuses to sit still long enough for me to file them, so I clip them when they get to that point.

It's easy, but always good to have some corn starch or styptic powder (Qwik Stop) on hand just in case you clip too much off, as they do have a vein just like dogs do. If you look at his nails from the side you'll see the portion of the end of his nails that is like an "overhang" over the pulp, that's all you want to clip off, just the part of the nail's tip that is sticking out beyond the pulp. I just take the very tip off of the end of each one and that's it, no big deal and once you do it once or twice it's easy.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
I'm so glad to have come across this topic with the information given by CooperDragon and EllenD being very comforting! Iggy's claws are like little razor blades at the moment and keep tearing into any skin they latch onto, and right now certain spots on my body are throbbing in pain even though he's been asleep for the past 5-6 hours, at least! It's just due to the sharp little scratches he's left behind on me. I'll be sure to trim his claws upon having him wake up, most likely with an emery board :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom