Who else let their beardie sleep with them

Status
Not open for further replies.

keith167

Hatchling Member
One of our dragons is free range. Occasionally he sleeps on one of our beds. Sometimes we put him in a cat bed, in one of our beds. It's safer as it would be difficult to rollover on...

Heyimbrit

Juvie Member
I used to let one of my beardies sleep with me but was very aware of what could happen. I slept on a queen size bed that had a big stuffed animal on it that Hoss liked to sleep on. I would pretty much give him the choice of sleeping with me or not. If he ran to the stuffed animal he would curl up under her arm and go to sleep so I would tirn his lights off and sleep on the opposite side of the bed. This changed when my boyfriend moved in with me. Don't get me wrong, I love my boyfriend but it's much different waking up to a human face than it is waking up to a sleeping beardoe face.

Riddick sleeps with me on the mornings that I get to sleep in. My boyfriend lays him on the bed with me and he sleeps on daddy's pillow. We always turn a heating pad on low for him too if he's in our bed. He seems to enjoy it. He's super overprotective of me too if he wakes up before I do. He will lay there watching me until I'm awake. If for instance my boyfriend tries to wake me up Riddick will put his hands over his as if to say "No, daddy she is sleeping!" He also hates to be woken up! He pops off with an attitude and sometimes he won't wake up unless I force him too. It's pretty cute!

Not that I put them on the bed, but Freya is smaller and is allowed to get out of the cage through a branch since she stays in the room either way. But there's a lot of times where she gets out in the early morning and perches herself on my pillow, waiting for me to wake up. And when I do, she's usually asleep.

SoraMiller

Hatchling Member
I have a make-shift bed on my nightstand that I let mine sleep in. I don't let her sleep in my bed though because I'm afraid I'd roll over on her. I find it funny though because she always wakes up before me and just stares at me.

popsickle18

Juvie Member
I have fallen asleep on the couch on occasion with Puffy (my first boy, RIP <3) and Kenny. These naps were usually by accident too. Neither of them moved while I slept but I certainly don't trust myself or them to stay out of harm sleeping the entire night. If I ever hurt Kenny I could never forgive myself.

Haku3

I have a little cat bed that I used to put next to my pillow that my beardie, Haku, loved to sleep on. I have fallen asleep with him on my chest before. I found, however, that on the couple occasions that had happened I never moved and woke up with stiff muscles that next morning haha! I upgraded his "bed" to a drawer in my dresser(Due to me being a sucker and spoiling him rotten..If I had my own bed, why can't he?? Right?). Which, with my room layout, is right next to my bed when open(I have a really small bedroom). He snuggles right up when I put him to bed and he always scratches at the glass of his tank if I don't put him in his bed at night xD

I just think if you are comfortable with allowing your beardie to sleep outside of their tank then go for it. But you need to be able to trust in your beardie to not wander off during the night. And also there is always going to be the risk of them getting hurt if you sleep with them in bed even though you say you don't move or you're a light sleeper. So essentially you need to weigh the pros and cons and decide for yourself. Personally, I have no issues with it :)

Cheers,
~Amber

Rascal93638

It started as an accident (we both fell asleep after his bathtime). It worked out well so I just started letting my Jasper sleep in bed with me at night. After his bath I usually wrap him in a towel to dry off and then let him move to a more comfortable position on his own. I'm a very aware sleeper and never toss and turn while he's with me. He also sleeps on my chest, under the blankets, to keep warm so it's easier to stay aware of him while sleeping. In the morning I move him to his viv and let him take his time waking up. It seems to work for now. I love sharing my bed with him so far.
14068608_10154534028189172_1271986900668807580_o.jpg

scorpius

I would never do it as I would be so fearful that I would roll over and possibly injure him or worse :(
We can never be sure what will happen while we are sleeping as we are unconscious and can not guarantee every time that we will be perfectly still and not toss and turn

Even if we are "still sleepers" sleep does not always have the same patterns , illness , overworking , injury , exercise , etc can change our normal sleeping rhythm and all it takes is one time for a tragedy to occur

So is it really worth the risk?

Dragonism

Geez I dislike it when people always have to disagree with these kinds of topics, but yes theres risk with sleeping with any animal. However, you don't have to be a downer for those that just want some cuddle time with their pets. Theres no harm in it, unless they know it can harm them(like being a bad sleeper) . Its fine if you yourself are anxious or nervous sleeping with your beardie, especially if you're a bad sleeper, but don't berate others for their choices. And most beardies don't wander in their sleep. Once they get comfy, they get really grouchy about having to move.

That being said, I do sleep with Jupiter from time to time. Its also part of the process of getting him used to me. I build a pillow fort around him for added measure and then we have sweet dreams~ I used to sleep with my previous beardie Charmaine, too. Now she sleeps eternally in lizard heaven~

scorpius

Beardies , are sweet intelligent little animals and they deserve our love and protection so I believe it is important to warn people of the dangers of a beardie sleeping next to someone many times its size and weight

I think it is cute and a fun bonding expierence but it is a dangerous one , for both people who are restless sleepers and those who believe they are sedate sleepers .

I have to make the point again for those who do not understand that sedate sleep patterns can change at any time and all it takes is one time for a tragedy to occur.

I have been tempted to do it myself but the danger to the dragon is too great for me to risk it as I could not bear the loss if something were to happen

I did a safe compromise and made the tank the headboard to my bed and found when I go to bed my dragon moves inside his tank to a spot near where my head is resting and falls asleep there

Rascal93638

I'm a hyper aware sleeper when I'm not alone. I also tuck pillows around me to make sure I'm comfy enough that I don't have a desire to readjust or roll over. I put him back in his tank if I'm at all unsettled, or otherwise overly restless, regardless of what time it is. As long as people are vigilant about safety, I don't see any problem hamming a bed buddy once in a while.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I sleep like a MMA fighter at night and there is no way little ol'Peaches would survive one night if I did this. :(

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
scorpius":1z6kavkq said:
I did a safe compromise and made the tank the headboard to my bed and found when I go to bed my dragon moves inside his tank to a spot near where my head is resting and falls asleep there

No that is adorable, It loves its slave, lol!

ofcourseilikepasta

Hatchling Member
Our baby (well, he's still my baby even though he's an adult now) Gary sleeps behind our heads in a cubby in our bed wrapped in a blankey :) That way we can give him a little pet in the middle of the night without worrying about squishing him. Plus he hates sleeping in his tank!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom