Swollen arm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my lil guy about a week or two,ago. He's active eats drinks gets his vitamins but I noticed his arm looks a bit swollen. Is this something to worry about?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks like a fluid buildup of some kind. If you have an experienced reptile vet nearby it may be worth a visit to have that checked for a bacterial infection or gout. I suggest offering a little bit of dark cherry extract which will help reduce uric acid levels in the case of gout and won't cause harm otherwise.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Definitely take him to a vets for them to aspirate some fluids out of that swollen area, to be sure that it isn't gout or a bacterial infection.
As suggested, Black cherry juice concentrate is very good in helping break up uric acid build up. Even if it isn't gout, it is still good for the kidneys also.
Since you just got him, it's hard to know all of the previous care he had before you got him.
Are you using a good UVB light for him?

Tracie

spyrothedragon13

Original Poster
Yeah I went to the pet store and had them get me everything required. But now something else is worrying me. He keeps opening his mouth out of the cage and not under his basking light. So Idk if he has a respiratory problem. I just got him this is ridiculous.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
spyrothedragon13":3hznm0o5 said:
Yeah I went to the pet store and had them get me everything required. But now something else is worrying me. He keeps opening his mouth out of the cage and not under his basking light. So Idk if he has a respiratory problem. I just got him this is ridiculous.

Your first mistake was buying your beardie from a pet store. They are not known for providing good care for their "stock" or good quality (expensive) live insect prey items or an adequate diet or even adequate lighting.
Second mistake is thinking they know anything about beardie husbandry or health needs.
All they are interesting is selling you stuff and moving their "stock" as quickly as possible and making as much $ as possible from each animal.

Likely the gaping is nothing. They don't gape just to cool or when they have a RI , they also gape sometimes just because they want to communicate with another beardie or lizard or a person , and sometimes as a threat bluff.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He's a pretty yellow dragon, looks to be a large juvie. :) How big is he ? And yes, the other poster is right, the stores sell some good stuff but also a lot of junk and that can include the lights. Can you list your exact type + brand of lights ? What supplements you use ? A picture of his entire tank will be helpful, too. Hopefully his problem can be resolved easily, be sure to increase hydration and offer the cherry juice extract that will help if he is developing gout.

spyrothedragon13

Original Poster
I realized that was a mistake. I'm bringing him to the vet today. I'd say he's about 8~10 inches I don't have a ruler handy lol. The light is a 75w zoo med his take temp ranges from 106 to 95.
I also give him a bath almost everyday,because he's shedding I also spray him,at least 4 times a day. Water is always available to him also.

spyrothedragon13

Original Poster
I also don't know how to post a pic I'm trying the same thing as last time and it won't let me. But he goes to the vet in less than an hr. I hope my little dude is ok.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hope he does well and that there's an easy solution . :) Be sure to measure him + have him weighed there, it's important to keep track of growth.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Bathing him frequently is unnecessary.

He'd be better off if you provided him with some nice sharp twigs and branches scattered on the floor of his enclosure for him to rub and scratch against while shedding, and only bathing him if there is a particularly stubborn bit of shed that refuses to come off, or if he's soiled himself.

spyrothedragon13

Original Poster
Yes I did I said he had a 75watt uvb zoo med. He has a broken arm I just have to keep giving him extra calcium. He weighs an ounce and he's ok in general. :) besides the arm :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom