Moving head

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Anybody know why beardies ALWAYS move their head back and forth? Like if I hold him in my hand and move my hand back and forth, he moves his head with my hand :)

jayce82

Juvie Member
honestly.from what I've noticed if he's always following you with his head then he's not 100% comfortable with you yet. but... it's a good sign that he's very alert

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Many beardies do that, and yes it is a good sign that he's alert. Not really anything to do with trusting, but sometimes just curiosity or even wondering if a meal is coming their way.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I would have to agree it can't possibly have anything to do with trust as my girl I had before this boy i have now, in MANY ways, very noticeably loved me, and she did this too. On another note, can anyone help me with humidity issues? I picked up a liberty safe mini dehumidifier, and even with it right in the tank at night, and a fan blowing across the top of the tank, I still have night time humidity of 50% WHAT THE HECK!? :(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Humidity level of 50% is fine. It fluctuates throughout Australia and that is within the acceptable range. :)

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I just get so terrified of RI. Never found out for sure, but I'm almost certain that was the cause (or at least one of) of my baby girl getting sick before I had to put her down :(

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
AHBD please help! Past couple nights humidity has been up to 65% I don't know what else to do. Running the AC seems to help a little. But I mean geez, I got a mini dehumidifier inside the tank, a small fan blowing across the top of the tank, AND A.C. running! Is a 20 gallon fish tank (that's not even filled all the way) really making that much humidity????? It's even on the opposite side of the room. I really need help! I can't lose another baby to R.I. :(

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's not beyond the humidity in their natural habitat either but it's in the high end. It's not likely to be harmful. Have you calibrated your hygrometer to ensure you're getting an accurate reading?

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Not sure how to calibrate it, but it's a digital probe, seems pretty accurate, as it goes down to what would seem normal when the heat is high during the day

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If it's dropping during the day, that's good. It's nighttime in Adelaide, SA right now and the humidity is at 70%. This is the southern part of their natural habitat and they are frequently found basking on the grape vines in the surrounding wine country. The humidity will be lower when the heat is higher during the day as the moisture content in the air drops. You can calibrate your hygrometer using damp salt as described herehttps://www.neptunecigar.com/tips/how-to-calibrate-your-hygrometer

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree, he'll be fine. They can handle it easily, just not a wet, damp cage. That would make him ill, not high humidity. He'll be O.K :)

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Definitely not wet, I don't even give him a water dish, due to humidity prevention, and more so the bacteria it creates.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
AHBD":g2sh33h9 said:
Humidity level of 50% is fine. It fluctuates throughout Australia and that is within the acceptable range. :)
\
Heck, I wish I could keep my humidity under 60% in summer inside my airconditioned house (but it's lots higher day and night over summer except when "The Doctor" blows = very hot very dry winds/ gales that come from the interior of the continent (can drop to 15% relative humidity and be 45oCelsius when that hits even right on the beach , but being in the subtropical north coast of NSW (Australia) and only 3km from the ocean I have no hope even with the aircon running 24/7 right through summer.

Winter here now and relative humidity is 54% @ 5:30pm inside my home (aircon on reverse cycle 24/7 now).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Back and forth I believe the beardie method of "range finding", beardies have great colour vision and great eyesight only poor depth perception - this is why they bump into things ,especially when trotting about or catching frisky bugs ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom