Locust hunting

I want to talk about how Foxy hunts locusts.
I already said once that he loses his head at the sight of locusts, but the hunt is worthy of me talking about it.
I usually release the locusts 3-4 meters away from him. Foxy instantly notices this and freezes, and then the hunt begins. He simply hypnotizes her for a while, then runs half the distance to her and stops. He turns and looks at me, slowly waves his hand at me. This can last from a few seconds to a minute, after which he turns towards the locust and begins to wag his tail like a cat before the final throw. After this, he quickly runs the second half of the distance and catches locusts. This behavior is repeated every time he gets locusts, so it was not difficult for me to capture it on video. He runs, waves his hand at me, wags his tail and then runs and eats again.
I always wondered why he waves his hand?
He says: “Thank you! You know how much I love this!” Or maybe he's thinking: "Please be quiet! Don't scare away my locast!"

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Maybe signalizing that you should not eat it? I don't know how much he knows about you eating different food than him.
Or it is not the waving gesture, but in fact he tries to place his foot, the last one that's still in the air when he stops, as silent as possible? Wouldn't make sense on the carpet, but some instincts are always there - so many dogs scratch after defecating on an underground where there is absolutely nothing to scratch over it like on pavement... still the instinct there that makes sense on natural underground.
Stepping down carefully also doesn't make sense on carpet, but on natural surfaces it well can do so.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Maybe signalizing that you should not eat it? I don't know how much he knows about you eating different food than him.
Or it is not the waving gesture, but in fact he tries to place his foot, the last one that's still in the air when he stops, as silent as possible? Wouldn't make sense on the carpet, but some instincts are always there - so many dogs scratch after defecating on an underground where there is absolutely nothing to scratch over it like on pavement... still the instinct there that makes sense on natural underground.
Stepping down carefully also doesn't make sense on carpet, but on natural surfaces it well can do so.
Yes, in this video it looks like he is slowly placing his hand on the floor. But other times he stops, standing on all fours, and then raises his hand to wave. So I'm sure he's waving. good idea about why he's waving, I thought about that too: "Please don't eat my locusts!" :)

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I want to talk about how Foxy hunts locusts.
I already said once that he loses his head at the sight of locusts, but the hunt is worthy of me talking about it.
I usually release the locusts 3-4 meters away from him. Foxy instantly notices this and freezes, and then the hunt begins. He simply hypnotizes her for a while, then runs half the distance to her and stops. He turns and looks at me, slowly waves his hand at me. This can last from a few seconds to a minute, after which he turns towards the locust and begins to wag his tail like a cat before the final throw. After this, he quickly runs the second half of the distance and catches locusts. This behavior is repeated every time he gets locusts, so it was not difficult for me to capture it on video. He runs, waves his hand at me, wags his tail and then runs and eats again.
I always wondered why he waves his hand?
He says: “Thank you! You know how much I love this!” Or maybe he's thinking: "Please be quiet! Don't scare away my locast!"

I think he is saying, back off man, this is my bug 🐛
I live the tail wagging, on of mine does it, I grin every time

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
By the way, sometimes he may to bob his head during his hunt.
they are such cool dudes :D
They really are.
My boy Sinatra has got so he rares back like he is getting a run and go before he takes bugs off my finger. It looks scary but he hasn't bitten me yet lol.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
That is so amazing and interesting to look at. Usually the wave is a signal of submission or accepting that the other one is the dominant one.
Just a guess but he might acknowledge you as his superior and tell you to go eat first while a headbob could be him claiming the prey for himself 🤷‍♂️

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
That is so amazing and interesting to look at. Usually the wave is a signal of submission or accepting that the other one is the dominant one.
Just a guess but he might acknowledge you as his superior and tell you to go eat first while a headbob could be him claiming the prey for himself 🤷‍♂️
This is what I was talking about. He waves his hand and shakes his head at the same time, I'm completely confused. :ROFLMAO:

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom