Zilla RIP 3/2/14 : Started a new thread for Sid!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. Never in a million years did I think I'd get so excited about a lizard pooping in his bath before. Lol

I want to potty train him, so I'm super excited. He's only ever pooped i the tub once. I was hoping today was the day since its Saturday, since he hasn't pooped in about a week and since he ate about 14 supers for breakfast. Yay!!!!!

What a nice birthday present. For him. Lol. He's a year old roughly right around now.

taco

Sounds weird but this is a topic I was looking for. When I first got Taco he was 1 1/2 years old. I could only get him to poop in the bathtub. Over the summer we took him outside a lot for the rays and he started to go out there. Then I realized that if he was in his cage and keeping his mouth open he wanted to go outside to the bathroom. The winter has gotten a little tricky though. I live in Ohio and was afraid to take him out in the cold. He only went once in his cage, then I was afraid he was getting blocked up. Today is about 40degrees and snowing a little, he was blown up in his cage so I decided to take him out just for a couple minutes. Within 2 minutes he was pooping and has more energy than he has had in awhile. Case in point, maybe start when it is warmer but my bearded is completely housebroken and I just had to learn the signs.

stormwolfe

Hey all!

I think Forty's getting there too! For the last 3 days, he has not pooped until I put him in a lukewarm soak. And today, putting him in the soak seemed to stimulate the need to potty since it was earlier than he normally goes poo. Although we're in Georgia, it's really too cold outside right now to try going out for rays and outdoor potty runs.

However, I have him on a regimen of short daily soaks for potty time and every other day, I empty the soiled water, clean his bath, refill it and put him back in for fifteen to twenty minutes.

His appetite hasn't picked back up since his major shed the other day, but hoping for improvement soon. If there's none by end of weekend, he's going to Mr. Vet!

He now has an old Beanie Baby chameleon stuffed toy and a piece of a torn up t-shirt to sleep on. He still prefers his ledge though.

This summer, we're planning on building him an outdoor cage that is incorporated into my nearest office window so he can benefit from the outside but I can still keep a sharp eye on him as we have lots of wildlife around here.

Blessed Be,

Stormwolfe

taco

I was amazed that Taco went when it is probably not even 40 degrees, he went pretty quick and I scooped him back up and brought him back in. Its pretty amazing to tell people my lizard is housebroken but he has even held it for a few weeks which is why I finally took him outside.

taco

I also think you are worrying a lot more than possibly necessary, these lizards are really very hardy, I may say that because the only reptile vet in my area is a quack but how often are you feeding yours? It is not uncommon for them not to eat for awhile after they shed. Also what do you feed him? My bearded eats crickets maybe twice a week, but I leave collard greens or blueberries most of the time. It is not unusual for him to only go to the bathroom once a week, if that.

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Mine has only pooped twice since his bath potty. Once on the tree and a little one the next day in the viv.

I've been giving him warm baths a few times a day the past couple days since I'm sure hes GOT to have a need by now! I left for Georgia on Friday morning and got back Monday. He didnt eat as well as normal while I was gone. I forgot to tell my boyfriend to wiggle the salad to get him to eat it. :-(

I came home to a full head shed to, so he's grumpy. But he ate a LOT for me when I fed him as soon as I got home. Either he was really hungry, or missed me. Lol

Hopefully he'll poo in the tub in the morning....... All those worms and salad have to go SOMEWHERE.

It's looking like he's a once a week pooper. Hope that's his normal, and not that something's wrong.

I love this site! With so many good ideas, I will be busy fitting out the viv for my new Cera. Glad to know about moving things around when cleaning. Also loved all the fleece creations, can't wait to start on some.

It is always a worry when your dragon doesn't poop and getting them on a schedule is great. I recently lost my Roxi, but she always pooped in her bath if she hadn't gone yet. When she had not gone yet, I would put her in a small round pool first, let her poop, then move her to a larger pool that she could swim in. That system worked really well. Cera has not yet pooped in the bath but she is adept at climbing out of the same bath tub that Roxi used so I have gotten one with higher sides. Dumping the bath water in the toilet is much easier than cleaning up poop in the viv. Thanks for all the great ideas and info!

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I may have found another reason hes not eating much or pooping much.

I took his stuffie out a week ago to wash it (a teddy bear) and put in a different one (an alligator).

Apparently he hated the gator and I never saw him on it. And constant stink eyes..... The only time he was on the alligator is when I put him on it AFTER he was asleep.

Well, for whatever reason, I decided to put the teddie bear back in last night and what happened this morning?? He ran over to it, hopped on it and hugged it!

"Mine! Mine! I missed you!"
953BA443-B2B9-4589-889C-C839744CA425-1010-000000CEC1B0007D_zps83fda6fa.jpg

He was on it ALL day. To the point that my boyfriend thought he was to cold on the cool side and snuggled with him til he fell asleep to warm him up. So sweet.

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I swear I have the most picky eater EVER! He won't eat ANYTHING! Ugh.

It's probably still winter blahs, and he's shedding his whole head at the moment, but its definitely irritating to throw out beautiful salads every day! He eats better than I do! Or at least he should, if he ate it!

He is even snubbing blueberries. I try mustard greens every day, then switch to turnip greens, the tried dandelion greens and even endive. He lunged at the endive and ate like a slob, but then hasn't really touched that since. I cut up yellow pepper, red pepper, orange pepper, green pepper. He seemed to like the green more. Go figure. Not the bright ones. I cut up apple that he used to like. Not anymore.

He doesn't even like squash or baby food or pumpkin that everyone swears by! Ugh! I AM gonna swear! Lol no just kidding.

He won't eat the roaches. (Maybe they are to big and scare him? They are discoid roaches, not the dubia.). He used to gobble up superworms everyday like a little piggy, but now it's like pulling teeth to get him to eat three or four every couple days. But just now eat greedily ate ten, so I'm happy with that.

I try to change it up a bit so he doesn't get bored with the same food, but he just won't eat anything!

His temps are fine, but I am in the market for a temp gun. He was peeved that I took his bear out to wash it, but I put it back. He's 12 months old, maybe 21" long. (I'm not sure the correct way to measure - I actually put yarn on him all the way down his back while holding it to him, and then measured that. I've since seen pix of people putting their dragons NEXT to a ruler, so not sure which is right.)

And he doesn't even want to be held much right now.

Ok, I'm done complaining. Sorry if I'm whining. I just want the best for him, and I worry. Maybe I shouldn't whine, maybe I should wine. LOL

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Here's some cuteness to make up for my whining.....

On the gator that he hated
F72D488E-C237-40FD-8C34-61E726E39E6C-2064-000001F20F8512C0_zpse5b76c00.jpg

His gecko I don't think he was fond of
74458DD2-1C51-441D-BBEA-5C4B1FC7DF3C-2064-000001F20BC9A06F_zps6cdf8c86.jpg

He fell asleep on me
505F95E7-C075-408E-B218-62AB606A46D6-2064-000001F2044A6431_zpsd20c335b.jpg

On his skull that he loves
BAC98926-0C25-40DA-A693-85AF95077832-3805-000004BD713127E6.jpg

Watching TV with me
F4CFACAE-886D-4B89-8E1F-A5FF876BCA5A-3805-000004BD579150AB.jpg

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I tried to change the title of this thread like I see others do, but it didnt hold.
It'll change it on here, but not on the main listing of threads.
Ideas?

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
BrendaKay":1gxx5z1d said:
I tried to change the title of this thread like I see others do, but it didnt hold.
It'll change it on here, but not on the main listing of threads.
Ideas?
You have to change the title on the very first post first, then start a new post and all subsequent posts will have the new title.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
He's a beautiful boy!
I tried putting a stuffy in both Zy and Jace's cage and they gave me the "You crazy" look :lol:

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Original Poster
We took Zilla outside a couple times recently to take advantage of the gorgeous weather we (briefly) had, and he LOVED it. It really perked him up too! He now watches our every move. If we sit in the living room, he jumps right down and glass dances til we take him out! Cute!! Glad to be having more than a cute little blob on a log...... :blob5: :blob8:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
617781l
Top Bottom